GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Audiophile Compares ML stereo to Premium Stereo.............

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-06 | 05:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

The ML upgrades are not even close to equal across the model range. The LS ML upgrade is sweet. The GS ML is better than premium, but not like the LS.
Old 11-03-06 | 06:15 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by conclevage
I personally can't stand the radio, so I am happy with my ML system and the VAIS TECH Ipod unit.
The Ipod uses MP3 format, which is so compressed that most of the music has been removed. If this sounds good to you, I'm amazed!
Old 11-03-06 | 06:56 AM
NJSID
Driver

Ok guys help me out! ML or no ML? I'm getting ready to buy and I mainly use original cd's but will get the xm sat. My wife says I have a hearing problem because I never hear what she's saying..lol
ML or NO ML.....I will go with what the majority says
Old 11-03-06 | 07:00 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NJSID
Ok guys help me out! ML or no ML? I'm getting ready to buy and I mainly use original cd's but will get the xm sat. My wife says I have a hearing problem because I never hear what she's saying..lol
ML or NO ML.....I will go with what the majority says
Take your CD's down there and listen to them on both systems. Only you can decide which one sounds right for you.
Old 11-03-06 | 07:23 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 500000

Uhhhh, doesn't the ML system have an extra speaker? A center channel I believe.

I would assume you could tell the difference with an extra speaker in the center of the car right?
Old 11-03-06 | 07:49 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

OK, I looked up the specs.

A 10-speaker sound system is standard, and a Mark Levinson surround-sound system with 14 speakers is optional.

Standard System - Premium ETR(R) AM/FM Radio With 134-Watts, Speed Sensitive Volume and 10 Speakers Total; Cassette Player; 6-Disc CD Changer Integrated With Radio Pre-Programmed Equalizer Radio Data System

Mark Levinson System - 7.1-channel Mark Levinson® audio system. Featuring 11 channels of amplification with a total of 330 watts playing through 14 speakers, the system allows users to play both CDs and DVDs. DVD movies can be viewed on the color seven-inch touch screen when the vehicle is in park.

I would hope there is a difference in the sound.
Old 11-03-06 | 08:06 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
The Ipod uses MP3 format, which is so compressed that most of the music has been removed. If this sounds good to you, I'm amazed!
Newer iPods actually use MP4 AAC, and you can set the compression level wherever you want. If you don't mind bigger file sizes, you can get very good-sounding files. WMA is the same - the compression level is variable.
Old 11-03-06 | 08:55 AM
2006GS300
Driver School Candidate

Don't know what you guys talking about!!!

To me, there is a big difference in sound quality from both systems.

I tried them at the dealer with COPIED downloaded files converted to CD-A, let a lone a DVD-A (which i don't have on my 06 GS)

the 2 systems are on different levels, Power output, channels, and frequencies are totally different on both equipments.

maybe there is something wrong with the quality of your audio source

well my New 07 GS will be here Next week and i will get to try the DVD-A
Old 11-03-06 | 03:33 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I understand that if you have already dropped an extra $2K on the ML, you really want to believe that it 'blows" the other system away! - We see this in the audiophile world all of the time. They do make $3,000 speaker cables that no one could pick out in a blind test. - They sell pretty good!

All I'm telling you is that I brought my Audiophile CD's down to the dealership last night and played both the ML and Premium Systems and the difference was not noticeable. If I would have heard a big difference, I would have ordered the ML. - I am not a cheap skate, otherwise I would have been at the Chevy dealership.

Also for a space interior the size of a car. The number of speakers and Wattage of the amplifier have very little to do with sound quality. In my home, I have 6 drivers and a pair of SET tube monoblocks that provide 1.8 watts per channel. The room is 30 feet by 25 feet.

If you want to spend your money on the ML option, go ahead. The reality is that there is very little difference in overall sound quality. I suggest, if you want to improve the sound in your GS, do not start the engine and listen in your driveway. - This will be a far bigger improvement that upgrading to a ML.
Old 11-03-06 | 03:59 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

My vote's for the ML system not being all its cracked up to be. Certainly not worth $2,000. I think the ML may very well be the most profitable option Lexus offers. You just don't hear too many people in the audio world screaming their love for Mark Levinson. Hell it probably wouldn't even exist today were it not for their Toyota contract.
Old 11-03-06 | 04:06 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I understand that if you have already dropped an extra $2K on the ML, you really want to believe that it 'blows" the other system away! - We see this in the audiophile world all of the time. They do make $3,000 speaker cables that no one could pick out in a blind test. - They sell pretty good!

All I'm telling you is that I brought my Audiophile CD's down to the dealership last night and played both the ML and Premium Systems and the difference was not noticeable. If I would have heard a big difference, I would have ordered the ML. - I am not a cheap skate, otherwise I would have been at the Chevy dealership.

Also for a space interior the size of a car. The number of speakers and Wattage of the amplifier have very little to do with sound quality. In my home, I have 6 drivers and a pair of SET tube monoblocks that provide 1.8 watts per channel. The room is 30 feet by 25 feet.

If you want to spend your money on the ML option, go ahead. The reality is that there is very little difference in overall sound quality. I suggest, if you want to improve the sound in your GS, do not start the engine and listen in your driveway. - This will be a far bigger improvement that upgrading to a ML.
I can understand where you are coming from because I am a semi-audiophile as well. I had a GS loaner that was non-ML. As far as sound quality goes (2-channel), the non-ML system was just as good as the ML system. The only reason I got the ML system was because of the extra features (DVD, Navigation, etc.). So, from your initial post on this thread I can totally agree with you.

I wonder, the amplifiers used to power the speakers are in the trunk. I wonder what the actual RMS power rating, % THD and S/N ratio is of the ML and non-ML system.
Old 11-03-06 | 04:23 PM
conclevage
Pole Position

I'm sorry that you won't have the opportunity to experience DVD-A's in your new Lex. If only you could go back in time and bring your Audiophile DVD-A's along with your Audiophile CD's........
Old 11-03-06 | 04:34 PM
Funky
Rookie

I have to agree that you need to try different sources. Pick up the Blue Man group DVD-A and the CD of the same album. There is absolutely no comparison. The 7.1 ML sounds amazing with DVD-A. My friends and co-workers were absolutely amazed at the difference.

Best Buy also has a selection of DVD-A if you don't want to get them online.
Old 11-03-06 | 07:04 PM
2006GS300
Driver School Candidate

Red face

I understand that if you have already dropped an extra $2K on the ML, you really want to believe that it 'blows" the other system away!

I am not a cheap skate, otherwise I would have been at the Chevy dealership.

Well, i Never Said you were Cheap Skate, Obviously NOT, at least because you are shopping for a Lex

The Other thing is that here in Kwait they ONLY sell the GS with ML system so i didn't have the Option of NOT getting the ML.

I have Tried both system with an imported GS with a Premuim A month Later so it is NOT a mental status to believe that i got my money worth as you suggested.

About the $2k, Like some one said "it is not worth the 2K" Well I don't know about that. I don't know the economical value of the system.

My 2 cents, there is a difference, but you have to have the right settings to hear it including a musical Ear

My own opinion
Old 11-03-06 | 11:25 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

Originally Posted by RandalR
Newer iPods actually use MP4 AAC, and you can set the compression level wherever you want. If you don't mind bigger file sizes, you can get very good-sounding files. WMA is the same - the compression level is variable.
Not only newer iPods, but ALL iPods use MP4 AAC and are also fully compatible with uncompressed WAV and AIFF files as well as MP3 since the beginning.

Later iPods can also utilize unprotected WMAs and Apple's lossless codec which takes up only 1/2 the space of a typical WAV or AIFF file.

Those who think iPods are only "MP3 players" are simply mistaken and are not enjoying the benefits of convenience a digital music player brings. I cannot imagine ever fiddling around w/ CD players or loading a CD changer or burning compilation CDs after having an iPod.

Quick Reply: Audiophile Compares ML stereo to Premium Stereo.............