GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Audiophile Compares ML stereo to Premium Stereo.............

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06 | 03:44 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I understand that if you have already dropped an extra $2K on the ML, you really want to believe that it 'blows" the other system away! - We see this in the audiophile world all of the time. They do make $3,000 speaker cables that no one could pick out in a blind test. - They sell pretty good!

All I'm telling you is that I brought my Audiophile CD's down to the dealership last night and played both the ML and Premium Systems and the difference was not noticeable. If I would have heard a big difference, I would have ordered the ML. - I am not a cheap skate, otherwise I would have been at the Chevy dealership.

Also for a space interior the size of a car. The number of speakers and Wattage of the amplifier have very little to do with sound quality. In my home, I have 6 drivers and a pair of SET tube monoblocks that provide 1.8 watts per channel. The room is 30 feet by 25 feet.

If you want to spend your money on the ML option, go ahead. The reality is that there is very little difference in overall sound quality. I suggest, if you want to improve the sound in your GS, do not start the engine and listen in your driveway. - This will be a far bigger improvement that upgrading to a ML.
I don't think this subject is really going anywhere. Some people hear a big difference, some people hear no difference. The specs show the systems are very different yet you say there are no audible difference. This reminds me of the thread about people saying there was no noticeable difference with the GS300 and GS350 engines in perceived speed, yet the numbers show the car is over a second faster in 0-60 times. The fact is, you are getting to 60 faster.

I took several CD/DVD source materials to listen to and since the standard system can't even play DVD audio, it was apparent that the standard audio wasn't going to work for me. BTW, Peter Gabriel's "Growing Up" DVD in 5.1 surround is incredible on the ML system. Also, listening at higher volumes the ML system seemed to be more clear and defined and less harsh compared to the standard system. Then again, thats me.

My point is, in the end I chose what was best for me. Sounds like the standard system is best for you.

Last edited by scottmyers; 11-04-06 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-04-06 | 08:33 AM
beachfront
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scottmyers
I don't think this subject is really going anywhere. Some people hear a big difference, some people hear no difference. The specs show the systems are very different yet you say there are no audible difference. This reminds me of the thread about people saying there was no noticeable difference with the GS300 and GS350 engines in perceived speed, yet the numbers show the car is over a second faster in 0-60 times. The fact is, you are getting to 60 faster.

I took several CD/DVD source materials to listen to and since the standard system can't even play DVD audio, it was apparent that the standard audio wasn't going to work for me. BTW, Peter Gabriel's "Growing Up" DVD in 5.1 surround is incredible on the ML system. Also, listening at higher volumes the ML system seemed to be more clear and defined and less harsh compared to the standard system. Then again, thats me.

My point is, in the end I chose what was best for me. Sounds like the standard system is best for you.
My thoughts exactly and good post.

There are plenty of self proclaimed audiophiles on this board (myself included) who think the ML is absolutley worth it and others who see it as waste of money, most of whom will never ride in your car and listen to your music and enjoy it the way you will so don't rely on someone else to make your decisions, you gotta sit in the car and listen to different types and formats of music...

Regardless of quality, the DVD feature for the wife on a long road trip is worth it alone...

Last edited by beachfront; 11-04-06 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-04-06 | 10:04 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

the only problem i had with the ML is that it is coupled with a bunch of useless features for an extra 2K. so with all those other packed options what is the ML really worth. i know it wouldnt be 2K. so the issue for me wasnt ML, but paying 2K for the other options i didnt want. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-05-06 | 06:54 AM
lossimo
Driver

Plain and simple,I love my ML,I have'nt had anything close to it before,and I don't plan on changing anything with it.
Anyone else with me on this?
Old 11-05-06 | 07:40 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lossimo
Plain and simple,I love my ML,I have'nt had anything close to it before,and I don't plan on changing anything with it.
Anyone else with me on this?
Well, did you compare the Premium Sound System within a few minutes of each other like I did? I'm Not saying that the ML is a bad system at all. Very good in fact! - So is the Premium Sound System. - Plain and simple!
Old 11-05-06 | 10:18 AM
rainforest
Rookie

I have the ML system on my GS450h, and after reading some of the posts, I bought an original pop CD and compared it to a 192 bitrate sample of the same songs. I'm not an audiophile expert, but after switching back and forth several times, I could barely hear any difference in the sound quality. There was a difference, but it was probably only about 5% difference. If I was given a blind sound test, I'm not even sure if I could tell which one was the MP3 and which was the original CD.
Old 11-05-06 | 03:48 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rainforest
I have the ML system on my GS450h, and after reading some of the posts, I bought an original pop CD and compared it to a 192 bitrate sample of the same songs. I'm not an audiophile expert, but after switching back and forth several times, I could barely hear any difference in the sound quality. There was a difference, but it was probably only about 5% difference. If I was given a blind sound test, I'm not even sure if I could tell which one was the MP3 and which was the original CD.

You are correct! - on car stereos, music compression is not that noticeable. - On my home system, it is very obvious. Also I have a lot of 1960's, 70's recorded stuff that is poorly recorded and is very noticeable on my home system. - I can play these in my car stereo, and not notice it that much. Once you have engine noise, road noise, wind noise your environment is so compromised that the finer aspects of audio are completely lost.
Old 11-05-06 | 11:05 PM
lossimo
Driver

Plain and simple!
Exactly!!!
Old 11-06-06 | 04:09 PM
photoguy
Rookie

Default ML Not that great

Just one more chime in -

I never listned to the premium system, but the ML in my GS350 is what I would rate "pretty good for a stock system".

I think most people would be very happy with it. My mom would love it.

However I know car audio can sound a lot better than this when aftermarket dollars are spent.

Like someone else mentioned it's probably like going 0-60 in 5 seconds vs. 6 seconds - most people won't care - but people who are into that kind of thing will notice a big difference.

To some degree ignorance is bliss. If the ML system sounds great to you just sit back and enjoy it, and you'll never feel like blowing money to replace it.
Old 11-06-06 | 04:19 PM
lossimo
Driver

Originally Posted by photoguy
Just one more chime in -

I never listned to the premium system, but the ML in my GS350 is what I would rate "pretty good for a stock system".

I think most people would be very happy with it. My mom would love it.

However I know car audio can sound a lot better than this when aftermarket dollars are spent.

Like someone else mentioned it's probably like going 0-60 in 5 seconds vs. 6 seconds - most people won't care - but people who are into that kind of thing will notice a big difference.

To some degree ignorance is bliss. If the ML system sounds great to you just sit back and enjoy it, and you'll never feel like blowing money to replace it.
That's a great way of stating it,back in the day,I lost track of how much I dropped on Fosgate Punch 45's,etc. to get my 1985 Stang up to snuff.
Fast foward to 1999 and the Mach system in my Mustang GT sounded great for stock,then came the Alpine audio in my 02 Navigator,great stock as well.
Now my GS has 14 speakers,heck,to me it's nirvana!!Don't really need pounding bass as in my youth,my ears are pretty fragile from my Ducati anyways!
No insult meant to the audiophiles,but I will just sit back and enjoy it!
Old 11-06-06 | 08:22 PM
psp
Pole Position

I have an 07 ES350 with the ML and have been driving a GS with the premium sound system for the past week. I miss my ES with the ML very much. I can redily tell the difference between the two systems. The ML has the ability on some recordings to resolve the true nature of the recording (think of a microphone responding to a voice), the elusive palpable presence. Note that it did not do this at first hearing. It takes time to become acostomed to the sound of the ML system and for the speakers to break-in. (I believe that even Mr. Cut-throat is aware of the value of breaking-in components).

Now, please note that my listening biases are probably different than yours. As Mr. Cut-throat has stated, he favors tube amplification and horn loaded loudspeakers (excellent choices but not my cup of tea). I prefer solid state amplification (think Spectral, Krell, or Levinson) and dynamic or electrostatics speakers. I also do alot of listening through electrostatic headphones (my family hates listening to the music/volume I like).

IMHO, the Levinson system is wonderful when when it is broken in, and not played beyond its capabilities. The resolving power of the system does not yeild the same result with every recording, as any quality system should. And for what it's worth, iPod, even with Apple LossLess is not as good as a well recorded CD or DVD-A. But, it is not about audiophile capability in a car - a difficult trick at best, it's about enjoying music after a hard days work in a comfortable enviornment. No big deal if you don't like the ML. I like it just fine!
Old 11-07-06 | 10:34 AM
NJSID
Driver

What Else An I Giving Up If I Don't Go With The Ml Systems...park Assist And ??????
Old 11-07-06 | 12:43 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NJSID
What Else An I Giving Up If I Don't Go With The Ml Systems...park Assist And ??????
As far as I know, just this:

• No 7.1 surround-sound audio
• No DVD audio
• No DVD video on the screen
• No Park Assist™
Old 11-09-06 | 08:16 AM
NJSID
Driver

i bought one last night...gs350awd glacier frost mica black interior NO M/L thanks for all your input!!!!!!!!!!!see other thread for price etc
Old 11-10-06 | 09:34 PM
SKA430
Rookie

Well, did you compare the Premium Sound System within a few minutes of each other like I did? I'm Not saying that the ML is a bad system at all. Very good in fact! - So is the Premium Sound System. - Plain and simple!
I did it today finally with broken in ML and broken in Premiuim. I can certainly hear a difference, although not giant, but worthwhile to me. More in the layers, depth, and feel of the sound. Premium sounded fine, but ML does sound better. I wouldn't worry about $2K more when buying a $45K-$55K car.

Quick Reply: Audiophile Compares ML stereo to Premium Stereo.............