GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Weak high beams

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 01:43 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak high beams

I noticed tonight that the high beams are very weak. I have bi-xenons on the rest of my cars so I am used to virtual daylight when I hit the brights. Has anyone tried the new Sylvania Silverstar Ultras? I guess they are brighter than the regular Silverstars.
Old 11-08-06, 03:05 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Just drop in a set of HID's in your high beams and you'll be set
Thats what I did
Old 11-08-06, 05:39 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Robert,
I feel the same way. Once you had bi-xenon, it's hard not to have them. I have had silverstars (regular) in our van before and they are a little brighter than stock. Don't know anything about the ultras.
Old 11-08-06, 06:30 AM
BigMoNYC
Lexus Test Driver

I had Bi-xenon on my 745....i loved it! Any suggestions with possible link as to where to purchase the kit needed for the bi-xenon upgrade?
Old 11-08-06, 09:09 AM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I completely agree w/ you on that. The highs suck big fat monkey butt.

The big issue with factory bi-xenon vs. adding xenon to our high-beams is that the bi-xenon has two different settings. When you "flash" the high, the center halogen high beams flash -- but when you flip them "on", the halogen highs don't work, but the actual hid low beam is projected higher. So, the inner set of halogen high beams are only used for daytime running lights and high beam "flashing". (as from the BMW 750).

Now, if we were to add xenon highs to our cars, I see two foreseeable issues:

1) Will the "flashing" work, seeing that it takes hid's some time to "warm up"? Maybe that is why BMW designed the bi-xenon the way they did?

2) I would dis-able the daylight running lights if I were to do xenon high beams. What happens if I dont? The daylight running lights operate as a lower wattage to the actual high beam bulb. Can xenons handle that? The xenon ballast require a lot of juice to create the initial spark... ?!?! ***frustrated i don't fully understand***

My solution is (I've done this on my BMW 5 b4 w/ single xenon): purchase a set of polarg std. color high output bulbs. I loved those things. The factory draw/output of high beams are usually 110W/110W. The bulbs I purchased were 115W/165W. Numericaly, they are putting out ~45% more output than stock and drawing just a fraction more power. Granted they didn't have any "super-cool blue" colors, but wtf! highs are highs and I don't care what color they are. I just want them BRIGHT!!!....

Just my 2 cents... let me know what you guys think....

Last edited by Eternity3G; 11-08-06 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-08-06, 12:51 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default freaking DRL and performance bulbs

I was thinking of trying these but I haven't gotten around to ordering them yet. Each bulb costs $30

"General Electric patented this new technology in 2000. Their intention was to create a bulb that emits about 3/4 as many lumins as an HID capsule at a fraction of the cost. The technology was licensed to Toshiba for automotive use.

The technology involves a specially shaped quartz globe which has multiple layers of semi-reflective materials deposted on the inside surface of the bulb. The coating reflets a portion of the Infra red energy emited by the filament back to the filament causing it to glow hotter and produce more light, which escapes through the uncoated forward portion of the globe. Even though the filament runs hotter, the bulb produces about the same amount of heat as a stock bulb.

Interestingly enough, the 9011 bulb can be used in a 9005 lamp with a simple modification with a Dremel tool or file. Due to federal regulations, we can not make this modification, but you, the end user, can. The material to remove is marked on each bulb"
Old 11-08-06, 03:11 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Eternity3G
I completely agree w/ you on that. The highs suck big fat monkey butt.

The big issue with factory bi-xenon vs. adding xenon to our high-beams is that the bi-xenon has two different settings. When you "flash" the high, the center halogen high beams flash -- but when you flip them "on", the halogen highs don't work, but the actual hid low beam is projected higher. So, the inner set of halogen high beams are only used for daytime running lights and high beam "flashing". (as from the BMW 750).

Now, if we were to add xenon highs to our cars, I see two foreseeable issues:

1) Will the "flashing" work, seeing that it takes hid's some time to "warm up"? Maybe that is why BMW designed the bi-xenon the way they did?

2) I would dis-able the daylight running lights if I were to do xenon high beams. What happens if I dont? The daylight running lights operate as a lower wattage to the actual high beam bulb. Can xenons handle that? The xenon ballast require a lot of juice to create the initial spark... ?!?! ***frustrated i don't fully understand***

My solution is (I've done this on my BMW 5 b4 w/ single xenon): purchase a set of polarg std. color high output bulbs. I loved those things. The factory draw/output of high beams are usually 110W/110W. The bulbs I purchased were 115W/165W. Numericaly, they are putting out ~45% more output than stock and drawing just a fraction more power. Granted they didn't have any "super-cool blue" colors, but wtf! highs are highs and I don't care what color they are. I just want them BRIGHT!!!....

Just my 2 cents... let me know what you guys think....
I saw your post about the city/parking lights. There must be separate high beams that operate as DRLs also right? The Sylvania website lists 9005 or 9006 replacements and the ones in your pics are smaller blade type parking bulbs.
Old 11-08-06, 03:39 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I saw your post about the city/parking lights. There must be separate high beams that operate as DRLs also right? The Sylvania website lists 9005 or 9006 replacements and the ones in your pics are smaller blade type parking bulbs.
The 9005 High Beam has a dual function:

1) High Beam of course
2) Daytime driving lights

The highbeams do not function as drl's at night. Only during the day. The nightime parking lights (mine are yellow) are the small 168? small wedge style bulbs. The bulb can be seen through the highbeam lense. It is the small bulb above the 9005 high beam bulb.

I hope that was what you were concerned with. Answered the question? If not, just ignore me.... I'm stupid...

Last edited by Eternity3G; 11-08-06 at 05:12 PM.
Old 11-08-06, 04:21 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have silverstar ultra 9005 in the package still if anyone wants them.
30 shipped!!!