GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is "shark" antenna used for satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 07:20 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is "shark" antenna used for satellite radio?

For those with XM or Sirius, did you have to install a separate antenna, or is there a hook up to that new GS350 "shark" antenna?
Old 11-17-06, 07:31 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For 07 the factory dealer-installed XM satellite radio uses the shark for the antenna (as well as for sat nav, if you have that option....). I do not know if Sirius can use the fin or not... I will ask my friend tmrw., since he just had Sirius installed in his 07 GS....
Old 11-17-06, 10:18 PM
Balnk
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jaxgs350...

Who installed his Sirius in the 07 GS? The dealer?
Old 11-18-06, 09:56 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

XM is fully integrated and the display, receiver is hidden and antenna is in the fin.
Sirus, I (think) is also in the fin, but the display has to be in the ash tray if you want it conceled.
Completely cheesy looking.
Rather opt for the XM due to it's complete integration.

But,I'm glad my gs450h, DOESN'T have that ugly fin. I installed the antenna behind the rear window break light (XM) antenna. Can't even see it, and no fin on the outside.
Old 11-18-06, 11:19 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Balnk
jaxgs350...

Who installed his Sirius in the 07 GS? The dealer?
Spoke to my friend. The dealer installed the Sirius radio module in his 07 GS350
alright, but whatever kit/module they used did not allow them to use the shark
fin... as a result, he has the little black puck mounted on the rear glass just
below the CHMSL and light sensor package that you can see thru the window.

The system is integrated with the stereo, and he can see station names, songs
titles and artists. He can use the steering wheel controls to switch presets as well.

He has no other add-on receiver that sits outside on the dash
someplace... so that's good news. I can try to find out what kit they used at
the dealer, but it will take me a few days if anyone is interested.
Old 11-18-06, 12:09 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

XM sucks compared to Sirius, Lexus needs to make it an equal option to choose between the two and allow the Sirius to tie into the Sharkfin.
Old 11-18-06, 02:34 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

XM vs Sirius, I think just mentioning "Howard Stern" is enough to end this discussion?

A dealer will be installing Sirius on Monday before I'll take a delivery of my GS350. I believe controls will be integrated into the stereo, just wasn't sure about the antenna. Either way with it should be OK. The only problem with using external antenna in the back under the rear glass is if you go with some fancy tinting material which can block the signal.

Oh, and regarding the "sharkfin", I actually think is a VERY nice addition to '07 model to make it look less like a hatchback
Old 11-18-06, 02:51 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

see thats my problem, i intend to tint my glass so it bothers me that i will have an antenna down under it when it should be tied into the shark fin. and BTW I wonder if anyone knows if its possible to spill the guts out of the sirius antenna and take the xm guts out of the sharkfin and put the sirius guts into the sharkfin?
Anyone willing to look into this and give it a try?
Old 11-18-06, 03:06 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I will try to call my dealership first thing in the morning to get a name/number who will be doing installion. Forgot to mention, it will be done at my dealership by someone else from outside. I will put a request for them to try utilizing existing sharkfin antenna, and if doesn't work than give me details.

BTW, majority of the tint types should not give you a problem unless its some special kind with metalic elements. I wonder if cermanic tint is OK? I actually had my '07 ES350 tinted 35% all around (except for windshield of course). After driving paranoid for 3 month here in Jersey where its illegal (black interior made it even darker), I decided not to do any tinting in my GS350. Its terrible to see people tinting their back and rear windows, and leaving front windows clear: gotta be either all or nothing to keep it even. Again, just my humble opinion...
Old 11-18-06, 03:33 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I love the looks of the 'Sharkfin'. - Very Cool!
Old 11-18-06, 07:33 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Sorry I was not more clear... the Sirius puck on my friend's GS is on the outside of the glass, so tint away! My friend is also putting Llumar 15% all around like I did, so he made sure the puck was not placed on the package tray (i.e. under the glass), or else reception would be seriously bad.... it's not that obtrusive looking IMO... not really something you even notice until you are standing and staring at the top of the trunk.
Old 11-18-06, 07:49 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Do you mean actually on outside of the glass? I have seen a number of Sirius antennas mounted on the top of the trunk close the rear window. It might work if you have a black/dark color, but I wouldn't want to have black puck on silver trunk. I wonder if their antenna with a wire actually comes out of the trunk and than being mounted on the glass. Otherwise, I can't think of any other way of mounting it.

I appreciate your info. I will definitely gotta call early in the morning to find out how/where they are going to do that.
Old 11-19-06, 05:13 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

hell no, no way am i putting a black puck on a white car, thats super ugly, theres gotta be a better way
Old 11-19-06, 06:38 AM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

[QUOTE=twister;2246831]Do you mean actually on outside of the glass? /QUOTE]

My mistake. You are right. I drove over there to see it b/c my memory is faulty some days.... the puck is on the outside trunk lid very close to the edge, right below where the trunk meets the glass when closed. The antenna wire is looped around the nylon trunk strap and down into the trunk. From there it goes into the passenger compartment and up to the center console area. His car is Quartz Shadow, so the puck is not as noticeable when looking from a distance. This is not going to look very sleek on, say, a white car due to the contrast.
Old 11-19-06, 07:33 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

That's what I thought, outside on the trunk. It will not look good on my silver either

I wonder if anybody with Sirius can chime in where they have their antenna? If sharkfin is not used for it, and its not outside on the trunk, the only other place is under the rear window around break light. Has anybody got it and can share their experience with reception? How about with a tint, any problems with internal puck antenna? I assume that am/fm radio antenna is built into sharkfin and not embedded into a rear window to create extra interference.

Quick Reply: Is "shark" antenna used for satellite radio?