GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What's the deal with the rotating headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 04:55 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since the rotation SB related to steering direction and not appear to you as tied to speed of vehicle it seems speed could be looked at another way, increase in RPM. A system working better at higher RPM indicates to me a power issue of some kind.

IMO: You are either dealing with an alternator barely meeting spec for the electrics you are running or have added options which use more electricity than the alternator can keep up with at lower RPM, or for some odd reason the system is so totaly different between models andnothing can be done.

Try leaving the neighborhood with everything off manageable that uses electricity and see if rotation catches up to steering direction change and also drive at higher speed for a while, say 10 mile journey, with most things off and then see if you notice a difference afterward at lower speeds with rotation sync.

Alternatively, start the car in driveway with everything usual on and turn steering to see level of synch and then turn everything off possible and try it again...both in park with motor revved up to 1,800 RPM assuming light will rotate regardless of in gear or in park.

If any of the above improves the performance ask for a more robust alternator if one you have is operating as designed, though it may not be and simply needs replacing.
Old 11-19-06, 09:40 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's an alternator issue. I have listened to music in the car at 60-62 (max) volume and have not noticed any dimming light issues during transients or anything of the sort like you would expect if the current from the alternator was inadequate. I'm 99.9% certain there is nothing wrong with the AFS system. I just can't figure out the logic behind the design. The degree of rotation is VERY speed dependent, almost too speed dependent, relative to the system on the ES. The ES lights rotate full lock regardless of speed up to a point. From what I can tell my GS does the following;

Standstill - no rotation
Slow (sub 5-10 mph) - lights rotate very little
5-10mph+ - full rotation
Highway speeds - very little rotation

There are also varying degrees of rotation in between. Whatever the case may be, I can live with it. I just don't see the advantage of limited rotation at low speeds. I would much rather have them operate like the ES because they would essentially be cornering lights as well. My GL450 has the rotating lights also but it has another cool feature. When turning, the fog light on the side that you are turning towards will briefly illuminate like a curb light. It's very cool!
Old 11-19-06, 10:09 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2th,

Waiting to get my GS350 tomorrow, but based on the experience with my ES350 and what you have described above, there actually might be a logic behind it. Standing still - there is no need to rotate your light while you are not moving. At a very slow speed, you are barely moving therefore don't need too much of right/left turn lighting for safety illumination of any side surprises. Regular street cruising speed is where you benefit the most out of this feature to give you enough side illumination where you are turning. And, at highway speed you are mostly going straight and this AFS wont do you much good. At highway speed for on/off ramps where you are actually turning, speed going to be slower anyway.

I'm actually glad you brought this issues up earlier, since I decided not to bother getting it on my GS350. It wasn't that useful on ES350 anyway, and I didn't find any advantages of it. IMHO, just a cool gimmick like LS460 parallel parking. I also found ML stereo to be useless in my case since I listen mostly to mp3s on CDR/CDRW disc, and hi-fi stereo makes it sound even worse with downsampled quality files. The main selling and enjoyment factor for me with GS350 is a power of the engine and handling, which both of us know in ES350 is a joke.