GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Buying GS 350, Need color help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-06, 07:45 PM
mdjocko
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying GS 350, Need color help?

I recently went to a dealer in Tampa and was ready to buy the new GS 350. The problem is that they had only about 5 in stock and when it came to picking the color there was really nothing to see in person. The sales guy gave me their brochure and expected me to pick the colors from a piece of paper for a car that will be close to 50K. I said that I will not be making a decision by looking at a brochure so I just need some advice on what color is the most eye catching and with what interior? I was thinking the black saphire crystal with black interior but they said that color combination has been discontinued and is only available in cashmire or the gray. Little help would be greatly appreciated. If you were to buy a GS tomorrow what color combination would you choose?
Old 11-18-06, 08:21 PM
lexus4dfw
Rookie

Bought a Matador Red one a few weeks ago. It is different, sporty, and the metallic is very striking in the sun.
Old 11-18-06, 08:30 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

i would get either silver/black, sil/gray, or white/cashmere
Old 11-18-06, 08:46 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

My experience was very similar to yours. When I went to my local dealer they'd sold out of all their 350's. All they had on the lot was an 06 300 in red and other models (ES, RS, etc.). Here's what I did, I looked at all the other models that shared colors (e.g., ES has a Black Sapphire, IS has Vertigris Mica, etc.) with the GS to at least see the color live. I also used other models to get a feel for the interior (Black, Grey and Cash). Then for colors I couldn't see live, I went online and searched for real photo's. Not fake pics like the ones Lexus uses when you pick the color and it paints the color on the car. I especially looked for other peoples postings of their interiors and exteriors. Club Lexus was awesome for this because so many post pics.

Anyway, when I started my search I was set on getting a 350 with either a cashmere interior in the colors of White, Red or Vertigris, or a gray interior in Mercury Metallic. However, long story short those colors were hard to find with AWD and ML (something I wanted), and after seeing more interior pics of the gray, I decided gray wasn't for me. Anyway, an opportunity came up to get the Mercury Metallic (a color I absolutely loved from the start from the "real" pics Lexus has on their website of the GS430) with a Black interior. It felt right so I jumped on it, and the rest is shall we say, history.

I guess what I'm trying to say is every person is going to take their own journey when trying to decide what color to pick for their car. Be careful drawing too many conclusions from other peoples preferences. What matters most is your own tastes and what looks good to you. Take your time and think through all the angles that matter to you, and you'll come out okay.

Good luck.
Old 11-18-06, 08:48 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

love black, but difficult to keep clean for a long time. i bought the mercury metallic (silver) with black interior. both int/ext very easy to keep clean. here in NYC its been raining a lot for the past 2 weeks and my car still looks clean expect the wheels
Old 11-18-06, 09:01 PM
mdjocko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sbrown02
My experience was very similar to yours. When I went to my local dealer they'd sold out of all their 350's. All they had on the lot was an 06 300 in red and other models (ES, RS, etc.). Here's what I did, I looked at all the other models that shared colors (e.g., ES has a Black Sapphire, IS has Vertigris Mica, etc.) with the GS to at least see the color live. I also used other models to get a feel for the interior (Black, Grey and Cash). Then for colors I couldn't see live, I went online and searched for real photo's. Not fake pics like the ones Lexus uses when you pick the color and it paints the color on the car. I especially looked for other peoples postings of their interiors and exteriors. Club Lexus was awesome for this because so many post pics.

Anyway, when I started my search I was set on getting a 350 with either a cashmere interior in the colors of White, Red or Vertigris, or a gray interior in Mercury Metallic. However, long story short those colors were hard to find with AWD and ML (something I wanted), and after seeing more interior pics of the gray, I decided gray wasn't for me. Anyway, an opportunity came up to get the Mercury Metallic (a color I absolutely loved from the start from the "real" pics Lexus has on their website of the GS430) with a Black interior. It felt right so I jumped on it, and the rest is shall we say, history.

I guess what I'm trying to say is every person is going to take their own journey when trying to decide what color to pick for their car. Be careful drawing too many conclusions from other peoples preferences. What matters most is your own tastes and what looks good to you. Take your time and think through all the angles that matter to you, and you'll come out okay.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. I do like the Mercury Metalic but I had a silver color car for the last 5 years and wanted something different for a change. I guess I can try looking at differnt models in different colors but Im afraid that the body style can look different in the same color. My first choice was the Black Saphire pearl with black but they told me that combination has to be specialy ordered and that can take up to 3 months.
Old 11-18-06, 10:14 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mdjocko
If you were to buy a GS tomorrow what color combination would you choose?
Obsidian/Black again - no question. I don't care how much work it is to keep clean - it's the best color combination for the GS by far, and the most flattering to the lines of the car. Black Sapphire/Cashmere isn't a bad alternative.
Old 11-19-06, 12:25 AM
AudiMan
Driver

SMG on black is the bombizzle
Old 11-19-06, 05:11 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Glacier frost or star fire pearl on black is the ****
Old 11-19-06, 10:29 AM
mdjocko
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RandalR
Obsidian/Black again - no question. I don't care how much work it is to keep clean - it's the best color combination for the GS by far, and the most flattering to the lines of the car. Black Sapphire/Cashmere isn't a bad alternative.
I agree. I really want the Black Saphire Pearl with black interior. Everyone says it has to be special ordered with that conbination. Has anyone seen this combination in any of the FL dealers on the GS 350? That color is just amazing because it looks black until you get close and from certain angles it gives of that Beautiful midnight blue. Its a little closer to black than the Blue onyx.
Old 11-19-06, 04:21 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mdjocko
I agree. I really want the Black Saphire Pearl with black interior. Everyone says it has to be special ordered with that conbination. Has anyone seen this combination in any of the FL dealers on the GS 350? That color is just amazing because it looks black until you get close and from certain angles it gives of that Beautiful midnight blue. Its a little closer to black than the Blue onyx.
I saw the inital allocation sheet for California, and they just aren't making any with Black Sapphire/Black. It's Cashmere-only, which means a special order if you really want a Black interior.
Old 11-19-06, 04:36 PM
coloradkid
Driver School Candidate

No problem getting my obsidian/black in Colorado. Absolutely beautiful, worth the work to keep it looking good.