GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Gripes and features that your GS is missing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-06, 11:57 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gripes and features that your GS is missing?

What are some things that you wish you could have on your GS? Here's my list;

- Better positioning of the pull down panel with the trunk/fuel release and odo buttons. It's nice that it's hidden but I can't see a da*m thing while driving.
- Brighter backlighting on the steering wheel buttons.
- Brighter front center dome light
- Bi-xenon HID high beams
- Height adjustable lumbar support
- A/C compressor on/off button - it's a pain to press a couple of buttons just to turn the compressor off in cold weather.
- Full time current HVAC temp setting display - the only time you can see the current settings is if you have the climate controls on the screen or if you actually change the temp
- A single 4-way switch for moonroof slide/tilt. The 4 button thing is a bad design.
- Trunk button that doesn't require that you have the key/transponder with you just to open the trunk. Who is the mental giant that designed this? If the car is completely unlocked and there is a button above the rear license plate to manually open the trunk, why do you need to have the key on you to use the button?!?!

Also, isn't there a way to make it so the car unlocks all 4 doos when you touch the driver's door handle? Right now, one touch unlocks the driver's door only and one touch of any other door handle unlocks all the doors. I'm getting tired of the two handle grab when I'm with my kids.

I'm sure there will be other things but despite the above. This is the best car I have ever owned PERIOD! I drive this car waaaaaaaaaaay more than any other car I currently own. It sounds kind of silly but the only time I drive my other cars is when I can't drive the GS for reasons like my kids want to take the convertible, my wife wants to get some stuff at Lowe's, or best of all, I feel guilty for not driving the Porsche. I am a Lexus owner for life!
Old 11-19-06, 12:31 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait, i thought the highs were HID as well? What?
Old 11-19-06, 12:36 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2thfixr

Also, isn't there a way to make it so the car unlocks all 4 doos when you touch the driver's door handle? Right now, one touch unlocks the driver's door only and one touch of any other door handle unlocks all the doors. I'm getting tired of the two handle grab when I'm with my kids.
On page 23 of the owners manual. All you do is have the car off and sit in the seat and hold down the unlock or lock button while pressing the trunk button and screen will show you a display of what doors will unlock. It's hard to explain but it's on page 23 of the manual.
Old 11-19-06, 01:05 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
- Trunk button that doesn't require that you have the key/transponder with you just to open the trunk. Who is the mental giant that designed this? If the car is completely unlocked and there is a button above the rear license plate to manually open the trunk, why do you need to have the key on you to use the button?!?!

The "mental giant"...LOL.. that designed that is a security conscious one for the ES350, not sure if same reason applies for GS..

You can totally disable trunk opening feature by using off button in glove box, I assume so that when you valet park you can store all kinds of valuables in the trunk that would never fit in a glove box, once locked though with button in off position, the valet cannot access your trunk, or nosey children, or nosey (fill in the blank).
Old 11-19-06, 02:41 PM
Funky
Rookie

I have a few additional.
  • Auto tilt in side mirrors.
  • iPod or MP3 input...give me a break for a $50k when every other car in the Lexus line up has one?!?
  • The car is way too dark inside at night.
  • Drop down rear seat. I see no reason why it can't be a drop down in this vehicle.
  • Voice recognition that is usable. This is the only thing I won't demo for people as it is never right or even close.
Old 11-19-06, 02:51 PM
bnet504
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Funky
I have a few additional.
[LIST][*]Drop down rear seat. I see no reason why it can't be a drop down in this vehicle.
I've heard that the reason there aren't folding seats is that Lexus doesn't want to deal with the additional rattles that may accompany manual fold down or reclining seats.
Old 11-19-06, 03:06 PM
Funky
Rookie

Originally Posted by bnet504
I've heard that the reason there aren't folding seats is that Lexus doesn't want to deal with the additional rattles that may accompany manual fold down or reclining seats.
Hmm...my old 98 Honda Coupe had a fold down seat with no rattles at all from it and used it often since I was traveling back and forth to the airport nearly every week. Thankfully I don't travel anymore, but would use it nearly as often coming from Lowe's and Home Depot.
Old 11-19-06, 03:30 PM
okcfunky
Pole Position

For a $50K+ car, I was quite perturbed it doesn't have the ability to play mp3 music or have an iPod hookup.
Old 11-19-06, 03:37 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

The iPod thing still cracks me up, WTF was Lexus thinking....if Lexus reps are reading this....consider a courtesy add on under warranty for those who request it.
Old 11-19-06, 03:50 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm, you can play mp3s from CDR or CDRW in a 6-disc changer. For the external mp3 player or iPod, I'm surprised they didn't add AUX input like it is in a cheaper ES350?!?
Old 11-19-06, 04:09 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Sad thing is an AUX input is so simple and inexpensive it only takes a thought and its in there. No engineering required. I wonder if someone can identify two wires on the back of the head unit for an AUX input and then its as simple as wiring a simple radio shack plug to those two wires and you've got an AUX in for iPod!
Old 11-19-06, 05:40 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Funky
I have a few additional.
  • Auto tilt in side mirrors.
  • iPod or MP3 input...give me a break for a $50k when every other car in the Lexus line up has one?!?
  • The car is way too dark inside at night.
  • Drop down rear seat. I see no reason why it can't be a drop down in this vehicle.
  • Voice recognition that is usable. This is the only thing I won't demo for people as it is never right or even close.
The GS does have auto tilt. Are you referring to auto fold? +1 on the voice recognition. It actually recognizes my commands just fine, it's just the stupid sequence that is required to get something done. A perfect example is "dial by name". You have to give 2 voice commands, press 3 buttons and wait for 3 long voice prompts before it will even dial the stupid number. My BMW 745Li required one push and "dial by name" + "office" with no waiting for prompts and it was done. Can't complain too much here though, the GS' bluetooth voice and sound quality is outstanding compared to other cars!
Old 11-19-06, 07:01 PM
sas
Driver School Candidate

I've never seen another car where the power window lock turns off the driver's control of the other windows. Isn't that a just a little over zealous?

Oh, I forgot the parking brake. I really hate the push to set/push to release setup. Is there some reason we can't have a parking brake release lever/****/whatever somewhere on the dash? It just doesn't feel natural (to me, anyway) to use the same motion to release the brake as to set it.

Last edited by sas; 11-19-06 at 07:06 PM. Reason: parking brake gripe
Old 11-19-06, 08:50 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

wow i thought i had the best car. all the above posts ive thought about, cant think of anything else to add. my biggest pet peev is the interior lighting and that access panel thats difficult to see.
Old 11-19-06, 09:26 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I guess if this all we have to complain about, we are in pretty good shape! The car is pretty damn near perfect. Just some minor details that could use some improvement. Are you listening Lexus Corp?

Quick Reply: Gripes and features that your GS is missing?