GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Did anyone here drive/owns a BMW 530

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 11:00 AM
the-oneil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did anyone here drive/owns a BMW 530

I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced the difference between driving a 530i - especially the new 258 hp engine - and a GS430/350

I am interested in knowing the difference and the characteristics of these two cars: Performance, ride, handling, refinement, comfort, space, reliability, build quality, Fuel economy, ease of use and dealer service.

I am now driving a BMW 525i (218 hp engine) and thinking of either switching to Lexus GS430 or going BMW 530i (258 hp) and I am hoping the forum has some people who either made the same move, or own both cars and can objectively let me know what they think.

I am really looking forward for your replies

Many thanks
Old 11-27-06, 08:23 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The key difference I felt when driving the BMW 530i vs the GS350 was the handling (while driving it aggressively). BMW felt more like a sports car whereas the GS350 left me a bit 'disconnected' from the road. Having said that, I don't drive like Speed Racer (my passengers would sometimes disagree ) on a regular basis and the GS350 was an easy choice to make for everyday driving.
Old 11-27-06, 09:03 PM
ajcsanders
Driver

The BMW's handling is fabulous - if you enjoy driving fast over twisting country roads you'll have a blast. If you have to deal with miles of boring motorway every day on your way to work you'll really appreciate a very quiet isolated ride, a fab stereo and lots of overtaking power.

Of the two I felt the GS was more special, felt more upmarket and had loads of character. The BMW i-Drive is really annoying - the Lexus touch screen is so much more intuitive and easy to use.

You also need to experience the Lexus after-sales service.

I think you'll find the extra 40 hp quite usefule - the GS engine is very refined and sounds great when pushed hard.
Old 11-27-06, 10:06 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Practically speaking. GS all the way.
Old 11-28-06, 05:42 AM
the-oneil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gohawks63

On what grounds? I was hoping these type of replies won't appear and as only objective posts & opinions would help.

If someone HAS/HAD experienced/owned BOTH cars, they would be in an ideal position to benefit me & others in same position with their input, as they'd have had experienced the cars long enough and maybe had to deal with the supplying dealers to comment on service..etc.

Thanks
Old 11-28-06, 06:37 AM
beachfront
Pole Position

I have a gs 430 06 and my brother has a 545 04 (i think-its the new body style) which I have driven alot.

My 2 cents on the cars (typing fast and no spell checking!)...

Handling - BMW all the way, the biggest way to see the difference in the handling of the 2 cars is to take a 90 degree turn at a high rate of speed...there is a big difference here and it is pretty apparent.

Performance - They are both fast but again it is in different ways (if that makes sense), the BMW feels fast when you are flooring it, the GS just feels smooth...Personally I like the way the GS accelerates compared to BMW

Interior - Touchscreen makes a huge difference in everything you have to do, I hate the Idrive, it reminds me of texting on a cell phone when you have to enter in info...The leather and appearance of Lexus is 2nd to none, the new lexus seats are so nice I am afriad to out my dog in the car because the leather feels so soft and I am assuming (though do not know for sure) that it would scratch easy. BMW has always felt "rough" inside to me.
Interior size I am guessing is about the same. Mark Leveinson can not be beat.

Before my 06 GS, I had a 98 gs 300 which I took to the dealer exactly ZERO times in 8 years. I changed the oil, brakes, and tires and that was about it.

My brother is selling his 545 because his warranty is coming up (due to his high mileage) and he is scared ****less about how much this car is going to cost him when it is out of warranty. This car has been in the shop off and on over the years and he loves the car but does not trust it...It far from a lemon just expensive and requires service calls.

When I was looking for a new car I looked at the 550 as I have a friend who works at irvine BMW, he pretty much told me he would not sell me a BMW because he did not want to hear any **** from me if I had problems.

I would have been happy with either car for different reasons as I had the same thing for 8 years, but I am sooo glad I stuck with Lexus. Lexus reliability has great track record which will make a difference as you own the car longer, I think for comfort the Lexus is a perfect fit for me, if you drive hard and are more concerned with performance over ease of use, the BMW is a great choice as well.

Service for both is dictated by your local dealer, I persoanally feel that the Beamer will costs a signifigant amount more than the lexus during the after warrantly period if you keep your cars for a long time.

my 2 cents

Last edited by beachfront; 11-28-06 at 06:54 AM.
Old 11-28-06, 10:53 AM
the-oneil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by beachfront
I have a gs 430 06 and my brother has a 545 04 (i think-its the new body style) which I have driven alot.

Handling - BMW all the way, the biggest way to see the difference in the handling of the 2 cars is to take a 90 degree turn at a high rate of speed...there is a big difference here and it is pretty apparent.

Performance - They are both fast but again it is in different ways (if that makes sense), the BMW feels fast when you are flooring it, the GS just feels smooth...Personally I like the way the GS accelerates compared to BMW

Interior - Touchscreen makes a huge difference in everything you have to do, I hate the Idrive, it reminds me of texting on a cell phone when you have to enter in info...The leather and appearance of Lexus is 2nd to none, the new lexus seats are so nice I am afriad to out my dog in the car because the leather feels so soft and I am assuming (though do not know for sure) that it would scratch easy. BMW has always felt "rough" inside to me.

Before my 06 GS, I had a 98 gs 300 which I took to the dealer exactly ZERO times in 8 years. I changed the oil, brakes, and tires and that was about it.

My brother is selling his 545 because his warranty is coming up (due to his high mileage) and he is scared ****less about how much this car is going to cost him when it is out of warranty. This car has been in the shop off and on over the years and he loves the car but does not trust it...It far from a lemon just expensive and requires service calls.

When I was looking for a new car I looked at the 550 as I have a friend who works at irvine BMW, he pretty much told me he would not sell me a BMW because he did not want to hear any **** from me if I had problems.

I would have been happy with either car for different reasons as I had the same thing for 8 years, but I am sooo glad I stuck with Lexus. Lexus reliability has great track record which will make a difference as you own the car longer, I think for comfort the Lexus is a perfect fit for me, if you drive hard and are more concerned with performance over ease of use, the BMW is a great choice as well.

Service for both is dictated by your local dealer, I persoanally feel that the Beamer will costs a signifigant amount more than the lexus during the after warrantly period if you keep your cars for a long time.

my 2 cents
Beachfront, many thanks for this. That makes sense
Old 11-28-06, 12:38 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beachfront

my 2 cents
I was in the same boat as your brother I had a 04 545 loved the way the car drove and all the power but the car gave me trouble the 2nd month after I had it so that scared the crap out of me but I didn't have 2000 528 as I loved that car.
Old 11-28-06, 09:45 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gohawks63
Remember I said practically speaking.

No one doubts that the BMW is more of a drivers car, but most people... again I said most people do not drive their cars at 10/10s. For the average driver the Lexus provides enough neutrality in handling due to the RWD platform.

Acceleration is comparable.

Now add interior design, price and above all else reliability (the practical part), I still stand by my statement.
Old 11-28-06, 10:00 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

GS is a beautiful car!! I love the design!! The price was attractive as well!!...... But, that's about it.....
It's boring to drive... I miss my BMW... Next car... I'm definately going back to BMW...

If you are into DRIVING! your car... you should get the 530!!
If you are just looking for something to commute in style and comfort... Lexus is the best! IMO...
Old 11-28-06, 10:19 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I went from a 03 GS430 to a 550. I did test drive the 06 GS430 and while I LOVE the looks of that car it drove just like the old one. Having come from a BMW (2000 540ia) the GS was a let down in terms of driving. It also had numerous little issues in its first year - issues that took the dealers months to fix. In comparison, I've had a total of two issues with the three BMWs I've owned (1995 325 - clutch at 8K, 2000 540ia - no issues, and 2006 550 - steering angle sensor). Depending on the build of your car, you probably have had that fixed as well.

I personally love technology and the BMW really shines here. I've got my Razr snap-in adapter (charges and uses the sharkfin antenna while driving plus full integration via bluetooth), iPod connectivity (using the new BMW iPOD MOST adapter where it replaces the CD changer), and factory Sirius sat radio. If I were to get an 07 I would add the HD radio as well. Mind you NONE of these things work perfectly and yes, when Lexus finally brings them out they will be perfect - so something to consider down the road.

The Comfort Seats in the BMW (standard with the sports package in 07) are probably some of the best seats in the business. I think the leather is fine, but the Lexus product does feel more supple. The Lexus product also has cooled seats - which are availble in the BMW as a priority one options - but you are going to have to order the car and pay $3K ish for them - however you will then get the nicer Nasca leather

As you know, iDrive is what it is. Not hard to use, just slow and in need of some improvement. The addition of the short cuts as in the new X5 should be nice. The Lexus touch screen is more intuitive but does require more eye time away from the road and the Lexus NAV can not be programmed while driving. But in the end, the Lexus touch screen will frustrate you less.

The BMW product is more customizable - you can order any color you want with any options you want and have the car in as little as 6 weeks. They "say" you can do that with the Lexus product, but it is a 4 month wait. Also per the Lexus website the cars are tailored to the area - where some options may or may not be available depending on where you live. I'm not sure if this applies when ordering. I do know that the GS450h was only available in certain colors - even if you did want to order it in one of the colors shown on the website.

Scheduled Maintenance is a blessing. I've been studing my wife's MDX manual for two nights now in preperation for an argument with the dealer about what needs to be done at the 7,500 mile service. Same thing would happen with our Lexus products - the dealer ALWAYS wanted to do more than what Lexus recommended and they ALWAYS tried the scare tactics if you didn't do it ("you know sir, if you have an issue with the transmission down the line, Lexus probably won't pay for it because you did not change the fluid at 15K"). I so love just taking the car in when it tells me it is time and having it done gratis. Oh and you can extend this service beyond the 50K if you want.

The Lexus products are less expensive. Not only do they start at a lower MSRP, but there is a LOT more dealer markup in them (check out KBB) - so in certain months, like NOW during the Dec to Remember event, you can get a KILLER deal (e.g. I leased my $54K GS430 for $230 less per month than my $56K 540).

Fortunately both makes have incredible support behind them (CL for the Lexus and bimmerfest/e60 for the BMW - where I see you have posted this question as well).

In the end it is totally up to you. You will get a faster (and arguably better looking) car for less money with the Lexus product. You will get a better handling car with more technology for more money with the BMW product.

Go drive them and let us know what you decide to do. If your 525 is your first BMW then switching will not be hard - if however it is not your first BMW you are in serious trouble cause it is really hard to drive something else

My 2 cents....

edit: after I posted I saw hsk73's response