GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Any known bugs from earlier build 3GS now fixed in the latest builds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-06, 07:45 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any known bugs from earlier build 3GS now fixed in the latest builds?

Just wondering since I heard lots of people complaining of some rattles and other build quality issues with the first 3rd gen GS models as well as some other relatively consistent (Though all typically pretty minor) complaints.

Just wonder if it has been established yet that maybe the 2007s have fixed some of those issues or if it's looking like, so far, they may just plague the entire generation for all we know?

How is the 3GS in terms of rattles compared to the 2GS anyway?
My 2GS definitely had some rattles that annoyed me to no end... even after all the 'fixes' I did I still had more. Though admittedly they were all pretty quiet and mostly not constant... so it was certainly no worse than any other car I've owned, if not much better - but one of the hopes I had with owning a Lexus is that rattles would be non-existent. I guess that wasn't really true and still isn't with the 3GS.

Maybe the new LS?
Old 12-05-06, 07:49 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Rattle-free here!!!
Old 12-05-06, 10:22 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Threxx
How is the 3GS in terms of rattles compared to the 2GS anyway?
My 2nd gen GS300 was an early build (Dec. '98) and it rattled like crazy. Countless trips to the dealer, and tons of foam padding in the dash and door panel alleviated much of the noise, but by the summer of '05, my GS had plenty of creaks. After comparing my GS to my friend's '03 GS300 which was rattle free, I swore I'd never get another car in its first model year.

Well, here I am with a '06 GS430 and guess what...lots of rattles. No one to blame but myself, first year car buyers are really just beta testers. But what irks me the most is that my '07 Escalade (after 3k miles) is completely rattle free.

But I figure by the '08 model, the GS should have all its bugs ironed out.
Old 12-06-06, 01:40 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dreaded dash rattle reared it's ugly head tonight. Right front dash area by the speaker. It's interesting that there is a TSB on this particular rattle but they didn't correct it on my car. I believe my build date is 08/06 and I bought the car at the beginning of Oct.
Old 12-06-06, 01:09 PM
mf1776
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
The dreaded dash rattle reared it's ugly head tonight. Right front dash area by the speaker. It's interesting that there is a TSB on this particular rattle but they didn't correct it on my car. I believe my build date is 08/06 and I bought the car at the beginning of Oct.
I just started hearing a similar rattle near the front right side where the dash meets the windshield (towards the corner). Where can I find the TSB on this (bought my car in late Oct.)..?

Thanks
Old 12-06-06, 02:04 PM
mj0723
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 06 GS300 that has a build date of 04/06, and so far, there are no rattles of any kind. The only thing I would really complain about my 3GS is the famous "gas-door water mark" whenever I finished washing my car.

I heard this problem is still there on the 07 medels. Could anyone with an 07 3GS confirm if this is correct? Much appreciated.
Old 12-06-06, 03:40 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

This may help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=250448
Old 12-07-06, 04:30 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 5000 Miles

I hit the 5000 mile mark last week.....so far havent heard a rattle or creak!
Old 12-07-06, 09:19 AM
mj0723
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scottmyers
Scott,

Thanks for the link, that was a fantastic write-up that you did on your 07 GS350. It kind of bothers me that a 50K car, especially from Lexus, does something like this. I really hope Lexus can get this fixed in the 08 model year, unless this is a design flaw on our 3GS's fuel tank.
Old 12-07-06, 10:33 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

5000K last week, and when I had it in I had them fix 2 rattles in the dash (more so on cold days) and a rattle when you close the doors from the back right passenger side.
They said there was a recall adn fixed by felt and foam insallation, but as I drove away, it was the same. They may have added some insulation, but my problems are still there. As I said, only in the mornings, or in cold weather. WHen the sun hits the leather on the dash and softens up the tightness, no noise. Oh well.
And by the time I paid tax and such, with the dealer clear bra, and sirus, my car was a 69,000.
I shouldn't even hear road moise in my opinion when I spenk 70 grand. Oh well.
Old 12-07-06, 10:54 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
5000K last week, and when I had it in I had them fix 2 rattles in the dash (more so on cold days) and a rattle when you close the doors from the back right passenger side.
They said there was a recall adn fixed by felt and foam insallation, but as I drove away, it was the same. They may have added some insulation, but my problems are still there. As I said, only in the mornings, or in cold weather. WHen the sun hits the leather on the dash and softens up the tightness, no noise. Oh well.
And by the time I paid tax and such, with the dealer clear bra, and sirus, my car was a 69,000.
I shouldn't even hear road moise in my opinion when I spenk 70 grand. Oh well.

Same problem with my gs430 bought late Oct 05. Been in twice and I have stopped taking it in for now. Hoping they find a real fix . The colder the worse it gets. The worst is the top right dashboard by the window. Sounds like a blown speaker or b-bees banging together. Can’t seem to get it do it consistent enough to show them, but they know all about it from all the complaints.
Old 12-07-06, 11:02 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Y U P, ditto, exact same spot I jsut referenced.
I think it's the leather getting tight, and rubbing against either the windshield or the speaker cap.
You can have a passenger push on it as it rattles and it stops. My right is worse than the left front, but both are still an annoyance!
Old 12-07-06, 11:09 AM
mf1776
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jace7
Y U P, ditto, exact same spot I jsut referenced.
I think it's the leather getting tight, and rubbing against either the windshield or the speaker cap.
You can have a passenger push on it as it rattles and it stops. My right is worse than the left front, but both are still an annoyance!
Here is the link to the technical service bulletin on the rattle...

http://www.lexushelp.com/Ownership/B...V/NV005-06.pdf
Old 12-07-06, 11:13 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

T H A N K Y O U !!!!
I actually just sent that to my service guy, who is awesome, incase he didn't know, and told him to come pick my car up, leave a loaner, and have it fixed.
I'll let you know if they actually fix it this time...

Last edited by Jace7; 12-07-06 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-07-06, 11:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

This is so strange why Lexus in it's relentless pursuit of perfection cannot get this right (although minor, still a nuisance) the first time. How hard can it be to build a rattle free car?

My piece of crap 11 year old winter beater (Neon) does not have any rattles (of course it has other major problems) .......... go figure.

Quick Reply: Any known bugs from earlier build 3GS now fixed in the latest builds?