GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

i hate the steering wheel wood.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 10:42 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i hate the steering wheel wood.

I just go a new steering wheel--cover-- (thicker) more so like the feel of my 550i. Much better feel. Some may like it others might hate it. Oh well, I just hate the look and feel of wood.
I wish I could have gotten the steering wheel from the new IS400F, or whatever the dealer told me is coming out next year with 400hp.
I saw a pic, and its nice and fat. More so the the existing IS paddle wheel.
Attached Thumbnails i hate the steering wheel wood.-dsc00601.jpg  

Last edited by Jace7; 12-07-06 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-07-06, 10:44 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I know what you mean. A fatter wheel feel much better.
Old 12-07-06, 05:13 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Guys... no offense, but that really cheapens the look of the wheel. The next thing would be to add the Christmas Tree air freshener from the rear view mirror.

Please don't take this personally, just my opinion.
Old 12-07-06, 05:40 PM
GryPhantom
Driver School Candidate

Does the IS paddle shifter work with the GS? That will be nice to have with our GS. What will something like that will cost us to replace the steering wheel? Ah Yeah, steering wheel cover, not happening. That looks to cheap bro. Take it off!!!
Old 12-07-06, 05:51 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Neah, not X-mas air freshner but fuzzy dice cubes

Personally, I love the look of the dark red wood and it was part of the decision for a black interior. But, its all up to a personal taste. This steering wheel cover is the easiest "mod" which you can take off any time you change your mind.
Old 12-07-06, 07:06 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I agree. Shame on Lexus for not making leather an option - or maybe wood an option. I simply hated the wood steering wheel on my 03 GS430 - especially when it got cold. But one this is for sure - hot or cold -it was always slippery - damn that steering wheel sucked.
Old 12-07-06, 07:52 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jace7, just realized from the picture that your V1 is placed on top of the dashboard. Why did you decide to place it there instead of the upper windshield infront of visor spot? I'm waiting for my x50 with hardwire kit to arrive any day now, and haven't decided where I'm going to place it yet. Just curious to hear your thoughts on this.
Old 12-08-06, 12:11 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i dont think it looks bad but i have the leather in my car and id kill to have it all wood wheel
Old 12-08-06, 08:39 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scottmyers
Guys... no offense, but that really cheapens the look of the wheel. The next thing would be to add the Christmas Tree air freshener from the rear view mirror.

Please don't take this personally, just my opinion.
won't take it personally.
To each his own. I have the 07 550i, cost me about 89,000, and it has NO wood on the wheel, and for that matter is heated. I love it. Doesn't matter if it looks cheapen'd the feel is much better! About to upgrade the 550i to the hartge wheel, AWESOME!
Old 12-08-06, 08:46 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Jace7, just realized from the picture that your V1 is placed on top of the dashboard. Why did you decide to place it there instead of the upper windshield infront of visor spot? I'm waiting for my x50 with hardwire kit to arrive any day now, and haven't decided where I'm going to place it yet. Just curious to hear your thoughts on this.
I had it first sucktion cuped to the top of the windshield, to the left of the mirror, in the center, just to get a feel of where I wanted it and what felt best before I had it harwired. I hated looking up ^^, was more straining on the eyes, than having it just below the line of sight. I also mounted the remote on the column. Perfect positions for me. This way I can black out the main unit at night, so somone following doesn't cheat off seeing my red lights light up, and just see the remote above the colum, below the sight of the speedometer.

Just my preference.

Plus I don't need to hide my V1, which is another reason why some put it by the mirror, it's legal to have them in my state of CO.

The only thing that is illegal is the Blinder 40 I am about to install on both the front and back. It's an active jammer. Ha ha. Yes, I know it's VERY illegal, but I got caught once on my 550i, and the copper said, you know, you can't have those. Here's a 100 fine, please remove it. That's all.
But in the law book it does say 1000 fine and possible jail time. Never Never heard of anyone being that much of an *** though. Most are like very nice car, how fast is it? Just please remove it....
Old 12-08-06, 12:01 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jace7
won't take it personally.
To each his own. I have the 07 550i, cost me about 89,000, and it has NO wood on the wheel, and for that matter is heated. I love it. Doesn't matter if it looks cheapen'd the feel is much better! About to upgrade the 550i to the hartge wheel, AWESOME!
Don't get me wrong. I don't mean not having any wood on the wheel looks cheap, I meant the aftermaerket cover looked cheap.

If you like it... thats all that matters.

Enjoy.
Old 12-08-06, 12:41 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I completely understand what you meant with no minunderstandings, no hard feelings taken. I just don't like wood on a wheel. None at all. Maybe if the wheel was fatter, and the wood could somehow be heated...then maybe.
I agree it does look cheaper...I just like the feel (fatter and leather).
Oh well. I'll probably get tired of it sooner than later and I'll just take it off, then vwalla a new wheel.
Old 12-08-06, 12:56 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

I prsoanlly like the look fo wood...but also prefer leather...can't win them all haha
Old 12-08-06, 01:31 PM
beachfront
Pole Position

one problem with all leather wheel is that after a while, just like your seats, you start to get wear and tear, cracks, dirt, etc...

I went through this with my old gs300...the wood wheel I think is great and looks much better than an all leather wheel.
Old 12-08-06, 02:20 PM
Corsa999
Driver School Candidate

Coming from a bimmer I've questioned the wood steering wheel as well. I checked out the Audi A6 and it had a nice heated, leather steering wheel. The problem with a wooden steering wheel is that it is very slippery which in turn is a bit dangerous. It definitely flows with the interior though and looks great, but just isn't very practical.

Quick Reply: i hate the steering wheel wood.