GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

VIAS Install '3rd Gen GS Edition'

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 03:53 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kuch123
Thanks! Unless you want to mount it somewhere under the footwell, and i didn't see anywhere to easily do so and keep it well hidden, this is about the most consealed easy to access place i could come up with. You need to remove the trim to get to it, but that was the easy part of the install anyway. You can remove everything you need to get to in in a few minuntes w/o any tools.. and you can sit in your seat and work on it vs. bending over backwards upside down trying to work on it and hold a flashlight at the same time if you mounted it under the dash/footwell
Excellent. Looks like I'm doing the same with mine. Thanks
Old 12-12-06, 11:17 PM
GryPhantom
Driver School Candidate

Awesome Bro!!! It will be much easier to install my Ipod now. One question though, does ur ipod turn off with the ignition or do you have to manually turn off the ipod when u get out of the car?

By the way, best write up i seen on this forum.
Old 12-13-06, 07:53 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Nice write up Kush123!

A question though, what is your level of skill (just so I can see how easy or difficult it would be for me )
Also, does this void the lexus warranty?
Old 12-13-06, 08:27 AM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GryPhantom
Awesome Bro!!! It will be much easier to install my Ipod now. One question though, does ur ipod turn off with the ignition or do you have to manually turn off the ipod when u get out of the car?

By the way, best write up i seen on this forum.
Thanks! yes, it shuts down with the car..
Old 12-13-06, 08:35 AM
kuch123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bhuwan
Nice write up Kush123!

A question though, what is your level of skill (just so I can see how easy or difficult it would be for me )
Also, does this void the lexus warranty?
My experience with this particular car's interior is zero.. but i've modded every car i've owned in some way, even hacked an ipod install in my old 97 ES with nothing more than a couple wires In general I'm one thats not afraid to tear anything apart.. just take your time, don't force anything and lay a couple towels down to protect surfaces and you'll be fine.. This center console and head unit was engineered pretty well.. when you think about it, i only removed two small screwes and 4 bolts to complete the entire install, so it's farily simplistic when it comes down to it, just need to get beyond the fear of ripping apart your 50k dashboard

As far as warranty, I don't see it being a problem.. i look at it this way, you're not hacking anything up or changing anything physically on the car (other than the minor dremmel work to the storage area door).. it's basically just bits & bytes flowing through the audio system.. and if anything ever went wacky with the audio system, just remove the VIAS before taking it in for repair

Last edited by kuch123; 12-13-06 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-13-06, 08:53 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

My experience with this particular car's interior is zero.. but i've modded every car i've owned in some way, even hacked an ipod install in my old 97 ES with nothing more than a couple wires In general I'm one thats not afraid to tear anything apart.. just take your time, don't force anything and lay a couple towels dolent thanwn to protect surfaces and you'll be fine.. This center console and head unit was engineered pretty well.. when you think about it, i only removed two small screwes and 4 bolts to complete the entire install, so it's farily simplistic when it comes down to it, just need to get beyond the fear of ripping apart your 50k dashboard

As far as warranty, I don't see it being a problem.. i look at it this way, you're not hacking anything up or changing anything physically on the car (other than the minor dremmel work to the storage area door).. it's basically just bits & bytes flowing through the audio system.. and if anything ever went wacky with the audio system, just remove the VIAS before taking it in for repair
excellent thanks !
Old 12-13-06, 05:39 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

I didn't realize my ancient ipod 15gb was a 2nd gen, which does NOT work with the VIAS..
Kuch123,

I have a 15GB iPod, and I thought they were all 3'rd gen. I looked up iPod on wikipedia and they show the 15GB unit as a 3'rd gen. Before I go plunk down some cash on a new unit, are you sure that yours was 2nd gen and not 3'rd gen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod

Thanks
Old 12-13-06, 11:31 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sbrown02
Kuch123,

I have a 15GB iPod, and I thought they were all 3'rd gen. I looked up iPod on wikipedia and they show the 15GB unit as a 3'rd gen. Before I go plunk down some cash on a new unit, are you sure that yours was 2nd gen and not 3'rd gen?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod

Thanks
On your ipod, goto the settings area and open the 'About' section.. it will display the ipod version.. my 15gb was 2.3
Old 12-14-06, 12:15 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

On your ipod, goto the settings area and open the 'About' section.. it will display the ipod version.. my 15gb was 2.3

Kuch - I believe the 2.3 is referring to the Software version installed on the iPod, not the hardware version, i.e., 1st generation, 2nd gen, etc., of the iPod itself.

So when I went to the Wikipedia link posted earlier, if you scroll down the page it provides details including pictures for what constitutes a 1st generation iPod, 2nd generation, etc. The 15GB iPod was first made as a 3'rd generation unit, is this the one you have?

I'm only asking because the VAIS tech website specifically states, "Our SLI adapter allows you to have one universal audio Auxiliary input (uncontrolled source) and one audio input dedicated to integrate your Apple® iPod™ (3G/4G/mini/Photo,Nano and Video) directly into Toyota/Lexus OEM audio system (controlled source)." and since mine is technically a 3G iPod, and I'm assuming yours is as well, then it should work with the SLI.

I haven't installed my SLI yet (hope to this weekend), but unlike you I'm not to keen right now on having to upgrade to a new iPod because of the SLI. So I'm hopeful my 3'rd Gen iPod unit will work as advertised.

Thanks

Last edited by sbrown02; 12-14-06 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-14-06, 04:01 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Oh this is neat. I picked up my carpet mats today from the dealer. they said they offered to do a ipod install for my car. Guess what? It was the SLI. They wanted $550-590 for the unit and installation. Anybody know if thats a good deal?
Old 12-14-06, 04:09 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Oh this is neat. I picked up my carpet mats today from the dealer. they said they offered to do a ipod install for my car. Guess what? It was the SLI. They wanted $550-590 for the unit and installation. Anybody know if thats a good deal?
That's the farthest thing from a good deal. The unit itself is only worth $300, which means they're charging you at least $250 for labor. The unit is easy enough to install yourself and will only take 30 mins.
Old 12-14-06, 06:10 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sbrown02
Kuch - I believe the 2.3 is referring to the Software version installed on the iPod, not the hardware version, i.e., 1st generation, 2nd gen, etc., of the iPod itself.

So when I went to the Wikipedia link posted earlier, if you scroll down the page it provides details including pictures for what constitutes a 1st generation iPod, 2nd generation, etc. The 15GB iPod was first made as a 3'rd generation unit, is this the one you have?

I'm only asking because the VAIS tech website specifically states, "Our SLI adapter allows you to have one universal audio Auxiliary input (uncontrolled source) and one audio input dedicated to integrate your Apple® iPod™ (3G/4G/mini/Photo,Nano and Video) directly into Toyota/Lexus OEM audio system (controlled source)." and since mine is technically a 3G iPod, and I'm assuming yours is as well, then it should work with the SLI.

I haven't installed my SLI yet (hope to this weekend), but unlike you I'm not to keen right now on having to upgrade to a new iPod because of the SLI. So I'm hopeful my 3'rd Gen iPod unit will work as advertised.

Thanks

Well, all i can tell ya then is this is the one i have (the old one):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:I...ransparent.png

Mine is dated 2003.. i spent an hour trying to get it to work.. tried using the slower serial speed, and 20 other combinations of pluging it in, unplugging, starting stopping the car, etc, ect.. nothing ever worked.. I pluged in the 5gen ipod and it worked instantly.. My VIAS box had a small sticker on it that said Ipod 4.3 , whatever that means.. but i don't recall specifying an ipod version during my order, just the car config.. Let me know if yours works.. i'd like to get my old one working so i can just leave it in the car because the 5gen us too usefull elsewhere.. its like having a pocket sized Tivo (other than the recording part), i can take movies and tv shows recorded from my mediacenter, dump them to the ipod and plug the ipod into any TV and watch them.. or just watch them on the ipod.. I was always one to say you've got to be an idiot to watch a movie on a 2.5in screen, but for whatever reason, its really not that bad..
Old 12-14-06, 06:44 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

does this system charge your ipod whenplugged in?
And does it really show everything from the ipod over to the touchscreen?
Old 12-14-06, 10:20 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by starstreak
does this system charge your ipod whenplugged in?
And does it really show everything from the ipod over to the touchscreen?
Yes, your ipod is charged while plugged into the VIAS box.. and yes, it will show all music files that are organized into play lists.. up to 99 play lists can be used with up to 99 songs in each..
Old 12-14-06, 11:31 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

eww 99 is the limit huh? What happens if I have a playlist that has like 150+ songs?

Quick Reply: VIAS Install '3rd Gen GS Edition'