GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

VIAS Install '3rd Gen GS Edition'

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 11:41 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by starstreak
eww 99 is the limit huh? What happens if I have a playlist that has like 150+ songs?

i think it just ignores it.. either way, i see the option of 99 play lists with 99 songs each (9800 songs) as still a much better option than 6 CDs with 10-20 songs each..
Old 12-14-06, 11:49 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True. And it looks nicer on the screen. And the more I use my screen, the more I quit thinking this was a error in buying this car. Not saying the car is junk by a long shot, but going in for one car, finding out it didn't fit my needs, then finding another car that just barely fit my budget, and I always wanted a GS, I was pulled into getting one.
I'm sure if I test drove the G35 again right after that car, I might not have bought it. It would've been almost $9k cheaper and have voice recognition for most stuff like a/c,radio,etc. Granted some say it sucks, but it had it. Also a working Navigation.
The main thing I know I like about the GS is that it FEELS upperclass. Everything seem to have a nicer finish (except for that funny rubberized dash and door material) And it could've use a bit more wood.

Sorry went off topic. Anyways, it just means on the ipod I need to make special playlists. Btw, can I just tell the SLI to play all songs on the unit? Maybe I'll just buy a Ipod nano 8gb and dump all my good songs to it, and thats that.
Old 12-15-06, 05:04 AM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Ok, is everyone here saying you can't use the existing iPod folder structure (e.g., music/genre/artist/album)to find and play music? If that's the case, I'm not sure I want this version of the SLI. I mean come on. Why wouldn't the unit have the software smarts to find and play files using the existing iPod structure? This is just software, right?

Can anyone shed some light on this (if true and why the limitation), otherwise I'll post this question over on the VAIS tech forum?

Thanks
Old 12-15-06, 08:07 AM
rilot
Driver School Candidate

The main reason for it is that the 3GS head unit wasn't designed with navigating a folder structure in mind. It would require some siginificant re-coding of the headunit to make it useable.
The head unit does understand a CD changer so that is how it talks to the Vaistech. Playlists are disks and tracks are...... tracks.

The only headunit/ipod combo I know of that enables you to view the tracks on the ipod in the same way is the factory fit interface is the 2007 Audi A8.
Old 12-15-06, 09:01 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Wait. So the Vais doesn't tell you the name of the song you're on? Just disk/track?
Old 12-15-06, 12:36 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rilot
The main reason for it is that the 3GS head unit wasn't designed with navigating a folder structure in mind. It would require some siginificant re-coding of the headunit to make it useable.
The head unit does understand a CD changer so that is how it talks to the Vaistech. Playlists are disks and tracks are...... tracks.

The only headunit/ipod combo I know of that enables you to view the tracks on the ipod in the same way is the factory fit interface is the 2007 Audi A8.
Ok, thanks for the explanation rilot. I did some further reading on vaistech.com and found that by putting the unit in simple mode it allows you control the music you play through the iPod and not the head unit. Which is not the solution I was hoping for, but perhaps may be better than having to mess with playlists.

So how are the rest of you out there with SLI units organizing your music into playlists so you can easily find the music you want to listen to? I'm struggling with how this works when you have thousands of songs across hundreds of albums and artists.

Today finding music on my ipod is as easy as picking the genre (rock, country, etc.) picking the artist, and then either picking the album or just listening to all the albums by that particular artist. That's the beauty of the iPod... simplicity, form and function (for Apple).

I'm sure there are many more of you out there who have more music titles (bit over 5,000) than I, so what are you doing?

Thanks
Old 12-15-06, 12:38 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by starstreak
Wait. So the Vais doesn't tell you the name of the song you're on? Just disk/track?
Yes, it will display this info so long as you're in the right mode and have the right version of iPod.
Old 12-15-06, 01:31 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Well I have a new Ipod Nano 8gb, and I have a ippod video 60gig. Are they ok?

Originally Posted by sbrown02
Yes, it will display this info so long as you're in the right mode and have the right version of iPod.
Old 12-15-06, 11:27 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Guys how do you remember which playlist is which...it gets organized alphabetically but thats tough. I like to have albums just like a cd changer and discs show up on the display but it is hard to remember which is which.....
Old 12-16-06, 05:42 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Kuch123 (or others with SLI installed),

I installed my SLI today, and now have it working with my 15GB iPod. It's working in Simple Mode only, so I believe I'm going to have to splurge for a newer iPod if I want full integration. I do however have a few questions after install.

1) When I went to program the SLI, it says in the instructions that you'll hear some beeps to let you know when its done. I'm not hearing any beeps at all, but the programming sequence seems to work. Does anyone know where the beep sounds are suppose to come from, e.g., the SLI unit, over the car stereo speakers or from some other chime like the seat belt chime? I've got the seat belt chime turned off on my GS, so I don't know if that's impeding the sounds. Anyone out there with thoughts/ideas on what's wrong with the beep sound not working?

2) Also, anybody change the speed setting on the SLI unit? I tried it to see if that would get my older iPod unit to work in full mode, but because I couldn't hear the beeps from the programming sequence, I wasn't sure if I programmed it right

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by sbrown02; 12-16-06 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-16-06, 07:14 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sbrown02
Kuch123 (or others with SLI installed),

I installed my SLI today, and now have it working with my 15GB iPod. It's working in Simple Mode only, so I believe I'm going to have to splurge for a newer iPod if I want full integration. I do however have a few questions after install.

1) When I went to program the SLI, it says in the instructions that you'll hear some beeps to let you know when its done. I'm not hearing any beeps at all, but the programming sequence seems to work. Does anyone know where the beep sounds are suppose to come from, e.g., the SLI unit, over the car stereo speakers or from some other chime like the seat belt chime? I've got the seat belt chime turned off on my GS, so I don't know if that's impeding the sounds. Anyone out there with thoughts/ideas on what's wrong with the beep sound not working?

2) Also, anybody change the speed setting on the SLI unit? I tried it to see if that would get my older iPod unit to work in full mode, but because I couldn't hear the beeps from the programming sequence, I wasn't sure if I programmed it right

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have the seatbelt chime off but the programming sound seemed to come from the "car" not the sli unit at all....same place where your seatbelt makes a sound when you first turn on the car...

Also when I first tried to program the unit, i heard one small beep and a long beep, manual said several so I tried it again and then it did 2 short beeps and long beep. I am upset that the unit does not show folder names at all unless you press "disc title" or whatever....Otherwise all you see is discs but no names....
Old 12-17-06, 09:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

About organizing playlists... why not just organize under genres and if more than 99 in a genre just do 'rap1', 'rap2' or whatever.

99 songs at 3 minutes each is nearly 5 hours. How much driving do you guys do!?
Old 12-18-06, 01:13 AM
rilot
Driver School Candidate

Fitted mine on Saturday. Thanks for the guide. It made taking the trim apart in the car so much easier although I had to mirror some of the things as my car (UK) is the other way round.

I also did the DVD/BT bypass and added a switch to toggle the VSS in to the navigation so I can enter addresses while moving.

Thanks to all on this site that provided the information to enable me to do these things.
Old 12-22-06, 11:14 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Hey Kuch123: Are you able to use the TRACK UP/DOWN and DISC UP/DOWN feature on the nav itself (dedicated buttons next to the casette adapter)?
thx

**EDIT**
Kush123: I dont know how the hell u got that vaistech box in there,but i've tried 5 times and it just doesn't sit well ther e(unable to properly get the left panel to close properly-i dont want to force it).

I may go the other route and mount that sucker on top of the tire pressure monitor -- any other suggestions (location wise)?

Last edited by bhuwan; 12-22-06 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added more stuff
Old 12-23-06, 01:30 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, works fine for me..

Quick Reply: VIAS Install '3rd Gen GS Edition'