GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dash Rattles!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 08:06 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Drexlex, it looks like you are focusing on the plastic trim piece itself. If your rattle isn't resolved with the cowl piece, check out the guidance pins for the windshield. See pics above. I'm a little unsure of how cutting the pins will help. In fact, they feel like they are in there very tight so they must be putting some pressure on the windshield. IMO, pressure usually helps alleviate rattles but if vibration is transmitted through the windshield as a large structural body, it may cause rattles. I am not so sure I even want them cut now.
Hi 2th. Yes, I'm focussed on the cowl only because when it is removed, the noise is essentially gone. Every time I put it back in--regardless of mods, some noise comes back. Right now it's way less than ever before, and I would happily live with it--if it stays that way. But I've been fooled before, so I'll let it ride for a couple weeks to see where it settles in. If it comes back, I'll open it again, and see about cutting those locating pins.

How can my 4Runner be dead silent and a Lexus cannot?!
Old 12-23-06, 10:43 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrexLex
Hi 2th. Yes, I'm focussed on the cowl only because when it is removed, the noise is essentially gone. Every time I put it back in--regardless of mods, some noise comes back. Right now it's way less than ever before, and I would happily live with it--if it stays that way. But I've been fooled before, so I'll let it ride for a couple weeks to see where it settles in. If it comes back, I'll open it again, and see about cutting those locating pins.

How can my 4Runner be dead silent and a Lexus cannot?!
Better yet, how can my ex-$19,200 2003 Camry SE 4cyl be silent but my $51,200 Lexus is not? I don't think there is any point to call them out and get upset with them so I am going to go over there and give them one more chance to fix the problem. If they don't fix it, I will just try another dealership.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 12-23-06 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-24-06, 01:18 AM
lexneffect
Pole Position

My 2007 GS350 had a small creaking noise a few months after I bought it but the car was fixed after I brought it back to the dealership. Not sure what they did but the dealership that fixed my problem is in Northern California.....Magnussen Lexus of Fremont. So if you're in the Bay Area, maybe you can check them out sometime.

Curtis
Old 12-24-06, 01:26 AM
kuch123
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, found this site with the complete TSB on the windshiled noise..

http://lexushelp.com/Ownership/Bulle...V/NV005-06.htm

and here are GS TSBs in general.. great resource.. (no affiliation)

http://lexushelp.com/models/2006/GS/Bulletins.htm
Old 12-25-06, 12:37 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kuch123
wow, found this site with the complete TSB on the windshiled noise..

http://lexushelp.com/Ownership/Bulle...V/NV005-06.htm

and here are GS TSBs in general.. great resource.. (no affiliation)

http://lexushelp.com/models/2006/GS/Bulletins.htm
Hey Ron, thanks for the great link. I found it a lot easier to browse the relevant TSIBs than using Alldata. Case in point, I read this one for the first time:
http://lexushelp.com/Ownership/Bulle...V/NV004-06.htm which was issued Sept 06.

It explains that there is an updated cowl assembly that replaces the original, in order to address the noise from the instrument panel area. I'm heading over to Lexus as soon as I can and get me one of them! Sort of tells me I was on the right track. Maybe their mods are more effective than my homebrew ideas. My car is within the affected VIN range.
Old 12-25-06, 12:34 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, that TSIB tells it all. There were some significant steps taken to reduce dash rattles since the 3rd gen GS came out.
Old 12-25-06, 01:05 PM
ucigs430
Driver School Candidate

my dash is killing me softlyyyyyyy!
Old 01-02-07, 05:26 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

**********U P D A T E****************
SOOOOOOO..... After first impressions car is silent....... no more rattle. I gave it to them last week, they installed 3M everywhere along the front bumpers, lights and back fenders... nice lines too. Pleased with the install.
XM is up and running. Pleased with that as well.....Ticking seems to be gone..... I will update if not in later posts... but initial impression car is silent on all types of road and at any speed. We will see tomorrow morning when I awake and it's 20 degrees outside.....
Only thing I am quite upset about, is that my average mpg is now reading 12.7......................................
It was 26.6 mpg when I dropped it off. I forgot to get an exact reading of the OD, but I think they wne thot rodding in my 450h. :/
Oh well. it's a car. It can handle it.. As long as the rattle is gone, I don't say a word...
Old 01-03-07, 07:22 AM
Corsa999
Driver School Candidate

I'm looking at the TSB and I see all of the foam padding and whatnot...that stuff doesn't last forever. It gets old, brittle and basically disintegrates so I would assume that over time the rattles would come back. It's a solution, but not a seemingly permanent one.
Old 01-03-07, 09:05 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Corsa999
I'm looking at the TSB and I see all of the foam padding and whatnot...that stuff doesn't last forever. It gets old, brittle and basically disintegrates so I would assume that over time the rattles would come back. It's a solution, but not a seemingly permanent one.

Mostly felt, but foam and felt are through out the car. Even under the hood and under the side molding under the car. The foam will rot over time.
Old 01-03-07, 01:01 PM
Corsa999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS2006
Mostly felt, but foam and felt are through out the car. Even under the hood and under the side molding under the car. The foam will rot over time.
Yes, you're right. There is felt and foam throughout and given car these days. I just would have reservations with use of the foam in such hidden, hard-to-get-to areas like "in" the dash. You know what I mean? Once that starts to rattle again (after several years hopefully if at all) it'll have to be done all over again. Very un-Lexus like if you ask me...but what can you do?
Old 01-03-07, 01:44 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Yes I agree. Mine has the felt now and it still rattles
Old 01-03-07, 03:49 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

sorry to hear about your problems still. I drove it today still no rattle. I will try it tomorrow, if it's gone still, I'll be happy.
Go in the back with the tech. (I do) and watch him take apart the dash then give suggestions if you think you need more felt in certain areas.... (I did as well)
I went in 4 times total....One of those were for the first checkup/find and attempt to fix rattle...
Old 01-03-07, 06:20 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
sorry to hear about your problems still. I drove it today still no rattle. I will try it tomorrow, if it's gone still, I'll be happy.
Go in the back with the tech. (I do) and watch him take apart the dash then give suggestions if you think you need more felt in certain areas.... (I did as well)
I went in 4 times total....One of those were for the first checkup/find and attempt to fix rattle...
I talked to him and exchanged emails many times but I did not see him take it apart. He just felted the areas specified in the TSB and removed what the other dealer did. Watching and “supervising” is a good idea. I thought about it but I’m 30 miles away from them. He has been talking to his Lexus tech support guy and he wants to ride and hear the rattle. Tech guy alluded that Lexus is still trying to find solutions to some of these rattles. The cowl is on order, but we both agree that the rattle is inside. Maybe I will take a day off and just watch them.

Do you have a list of areas felted?
Old 01-04-07, 10:00 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS2006
Do you have a list of areas felted?
Pretty much any part that rubs or touches another part I had him felt. the cowl, the window pins, the dash pins, the wires, the speaker casing... ALmost everything is felted on the off chance it was causing the rattle. I didn't want to bring it back again. My time is money and they sure wasted alot of it.
Yes, they did offer to pick it up, leave a loaner, and return it, but I don't want them driving my car more than they have to.
So far still so good, fingers crossed. It's been about 10-15 degrees warmer over nights the past few days, but no rattle.
I will check this weekend. Suppose to get 2-4 inches. We'll see.