GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New complaints after 5k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 02:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Let me start by saying that I love my GS. That being said, I have a couple of complaints.

1. Why isn't there a separate button the the A/C compressor? Most cars have an "A/C" button or Snowflake to turn the compressor on and off. This car requires that you push "CLIMATE", then touch the "A/C" button on the screen everytime you want to turn it on or off. Two steps for one of the most frequently used buttons period! The dumbest part is that the car is not smart enough to turn off the compressor automatically when it's 40 degrees out!

I guess all cars out there with automatic climate controls have manual compressor buttons but all of my cars with the exception of the 2 Lexus' have easily accessible buttons. I will have to take pics when I get a chance to show you guys what I mean. Even my previous Sienna, Camry, and Solara had separate "A/C" buttons. Whew! That was a long complaint!

2. Why on earth did Lexus penny pinch and leave out the backlighting for most of the buttons in the car? All of the overhead buttons are completely black at night! The steering wheel controls are so dim you can't even see them!

3. Why is it not possible to reset the avg mpg reading manually? Auto-reset is a nice feature because I often forget to reset it in my other cars but to leave out a manual option?!?!?! How do you figure out avg mpg for a certain portion of your drive without resorting to the old school fill up and calculate approach?

4. Why did my $40k Sienna Limited MINIVAN have an adjustment inside the car to electrically adjust the level of the headlights and my $51k GS does not? I know the motors are there because the HID lights constantly auto-level when you accelerate and decelerate.

5. Why did my $40k Sienna Limited MINIVAN have laser cruise control to maintain distance with the cars in front of me but my $51k GS does not?

6. Why is there no aux input jack?

7. Why is there only one light inside the trunk and why is it mounted on one side of the trunk instead of underneath the middle of the rear deck? Everytime I have something on the right side of the trunk, I have no light at all!?!?!?

8. Why is the delay so long when you want to open the trunk manually using the button above the license plate?

9. Why is the keyfob so large? My Mercedes Keyless Go keys are half the size and do the exact same things.

10. If you have auto-answer turned on, why does the bluetooth hands free phone hang up on an incoming call when you answer manually?

11. Why does your cell phone's contact list have to be "sent" to the car manually (and only with compatible phones I might add), while other bluetooth systems like my MB, automatically download the entire contact list?

12. Why is there no "speed dial" function that allows you to make a call by holding down a number? Why do you have to press "off-hook" + "speed dial" + "specific speed dial #" + "send"? That's not my idea of speedy?

13. Manu-matic mode is a complete joke! It does not hold gears at all regardless of sport or reg tranny setting. If you manually put it in 3rd or 4th and mash the throttle so you don't induce a 2 gear kickdown, it will still kickdown anyways. If you put the tranny in 3rd and want to do some spirited squirting through traffic, it will upshift before redline anyways. Who are they kidding? Remove the stupid manu-matic mode and give me a $1.59 aux-input jack instead. While they are at it, they should apply the money they would save towards a 2nd trunk light and a couple feet of wiring so they could position both lights underneath the rear deck.

OK, I think that's it for now. Still loving my GS but these are little detail things that could use some re-engineering.
2th, regarding point #8, how long of a gap is there between pressing the trunk button and actual opening? While drying off my car today (ES350) I tried the button, and it was like one second or so. Quicker than I could do the old one-one-thousand count.
Old 12-13-06, 02:55 PM
chumsdad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start by saying that I love my GS. That being said, I have a couple of complaints.
A couple complaints? Are your sure you love the car? I am considering buying one, but maybe I should get a Chevy Impala.

5. Why did my $40k Sienna Limited MINIVAN have laser cruise control to maintain distance with the cars in front of me but my $51k GS does not?
The same reason a loaded $73k LS 460 does not have it unless you pay $2850 extra for it- many people, like me for one, don't want this feature.

Okay, before I lose my mind and buy the Chevy, can you list a couple reasons why you love the GS?

Thanks

Old 12-13-06, 04:06 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

1. Why isn't there a separate button the the A/C compressor? Most cars have an "A/C" button or Snowflake to turn the compressor on and off. This car requires that you push "CLIMATE", then touch the "A/C" button on the screen everytime you want to turn it on or off. Two steps for one of the most frequently used buttons period! The dumbest part is that the car is not smart enough to turn off the compressor automatically when it's 40 degrees out!

I guess all cars out there with automatic climate controls have manual compressor buttons but all of my cars with the exception of the 2 Lexus' have easily accessible buttons. I will have to take pics when I get a chance to show you guys what I mean. Even my previous Sienna, Camry, and Solara had separate "A/C" buttons. Whew! That was a long complaint!
I have heard that it is not wise to turn the compressor off and that you have less problems overall by letting in run in the winter. I live in Minnesota and I let mine run when it was below zero. I never had a problem in 8 years. The car may be actually 'smart' not to turn it off.
Old 12-13-06, 04:20 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chumsdad
A couple complaints? Are your sure you love the car? I am considering buying one, but maybe I should get a Chevy Impala.

The same reason a loaded $73k LS 460 does not have it unless you pay $2850 extra for it- many people, like me for one, don't want this feature.

Okay, before I lose my mind and buy the Chevy, can you list a couple reasons why you love the GS?

Thanks

The GS is a great car and I recommend it without reservation! It is probably the best car that I have ever owned. The GS is just the right amount of sportiness and comfort. The sporty side is not as sporty as it could be and the comfort side is not as comfortable as it could be but it fits my needs perfectly. My GS was purchased for 99% highway usage. Some might complain that the ride on rough surfaces is not so great but I never drive on rough surfaces. I know that sounds wierd but that's how it is. I drive to my office and back and that's usually it for this car. When I first bought it, I was using it around town as well but there are no rough roads in my town.

On the highway, this is the ultimate cruiser. Passing power is excellent, seats are comfortable, Mark Levinson is a bit of a disappointment but still better than some of the systems out there, handling is good, and most of all it's incredibly quiet at 80-90mph. There are lots of great features like keyless start, bluetooth, DVD video, etc.

The purpose of my post was not to talk anyone out of buying the car. These are not issues that would ever prevent me from buying this car. These are just small things that could use improvement or re-engineering. a.k.a. nitpicking!
Old 12-13-06, 04:51 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I understand them all. I have many of my own, maybe I should have been in the engineering for Lexus, I'd help wonders.
Instead I settled for finance/economics and got a analyst job of out school, and now been doing real estate for the last 6 years. noone asked me.
Old 12-13-06, 05:19 PM
chumsdad
Rookie

The GS is a great car and I recommend it without reservation! It is probably the best car that I have ever owned. The GS is just the right amount of sportiness and comfort. The sporty side is not as sporty as it could be and the comfort side is not as comfortable as it could be but it fits my needs perfectly. My GS was purchased for 99% highway usage. Some might complain that the ride on rough surfaces is not so great but I never drive on rough surfaces. I know that sounds wierd but that's how it is. I drive to my office and back and that's usually it for this car. When I first bought it, I was using it around town as well but there are no rough roads in my town.

On the highway, this is the ultimate cruiser. Passing power is excellent, seats are comfortable, Mark Levinson is a bit of a disappointment but still better than some of the systems out there, handling is good, and most of all it's incredibly quiet at 80-90mph. There are lots of great features like keyless start, bluetooth, DVD video, etc.

The purpose of my post was not to talk anyone out of buying the car. These are not issues that would ever prevent me from buying this car. These are just small things that could use improvement or re-engineering. a.k.a. nitpicking!

Thanks- I didn't notice your signature before- I guess you have acquired a discriminating taste for fine automobiles. The GS should be great considering the CTS and the GTO are the 2 nicest cars I have owned (not counting the RX- that is my wife's ride). Heck, I even think the standard audio system in the GS is good enough for me.
Old 12-14-06, 03:14 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Some other things that irks me a bit now.
1) And this maybe wrong, but I dont have voice features with my bluetooth. I think its because the car didnt come with navigation, but I can't find anything that states I needed navigation.
2) The G35 has voice features for most major controls like a/c and radio,etc. Hey, the Prius has that,why not this?
3) I wanted the power folding mirrors. Now that I'm really trying to use them, why is there no auto feature to fold them when alarm is armed?? OR move that folding button somewhere else? Now I have to turn off my car,open the little box, hit the fold button, close the box then step out. Way more steps then needed.
Old 12-14-06, 01:33 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Don't feel bad, the voice features are not that useful anyways. Recognition is flaky at best and when it does recognize everything, it takes a lot of steps to do something that would be far quicker with your hands.
Old 12-14-06, 02:23 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Don't feel bad, the voice features are not that useful anyways. Recognition is flaky at best and when it does recognize everything, it takes a lot of steps to do something that would be far quicker with your hands.
ya mine works fine for what it is. but i've used it maybe 4 times total....
yawn