GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New complaints after 5k miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 02:21 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New complaints after 5k miles

Let me start by saying that I love my GS. That being said, I have a couple of complaints.

1. Why isn't there a separate button the the A/C compressor? Most cars have an "A/C" button or Snowflake to turn the compressor on and off. This car requires that you push "CLIMATE", then touch the "A/C" button on the screen everytime you want to turn it on or off. Two steps for one of the most frequently used buttons period! The dumbest part is that the car is not smart enough to turn off the compressor automatically when it's 40 degrees out!

I guess all cars out there with automatic climate controls have manual compressor buttons but all of my cars with the exception of the 2 Lexus' have easily accessible buttons. I will have to take pics when I get a chance to show you guys what I mean. Even my previous Sienna, Camry, and Solara had separate "A/C" buttons. Whew! That was a long complaint!

2. Why on earth did Lexus penny pinch and leave out the backlighting for most of the buttons in the car? All of the overhead buttons are completely black at night! The steering wheel controls are so dim you can't even see them!

3. Why is it not possible to reset the avg mpg reading manually? Auto-reset is a nice feature because I often forget to reset it in my other cars but to leave out a manual option?!?!?! How do you figure out avg mpg for a certain portion of your drive without resorting to the old school fill up and calculate approach?

4. Why did my $40k Sienna Limited MINIVAN have an adjustment inside the car to electrically adjust the level of the headlights and my $51k GS does not? I know the motors are there because the HID lights constantly auto-level when you accelerate and decelerate.

5. Why did my $40k Sienna Limited MINIVAN have laser cruise control to maintain distance with the cars in front of me but my $51k GS does not?

6. Why is there no aux input jack?

7. Why is there only one light inside the trunk and why is it mounted on one side of the trunk instead of underneath the middle of the rear deck? Everytime I have something on the right side of the trunk, I have no light at all!?!?!?

8. Why is the delay so long when you want to open the trunk manually using the button above the license plate?

9. Why is the keyfob so large? My Mercedes Keyless Go keys are half the size and do the exact same things.

10. If you have auto-answer turned on, why does the bluetooth hands free phone hang up on an incoming call when you answer manually?

11. Why does your cell phone's contact list have to be "sent" to the car manually (and only with compatible phones I might add), while other bluetooth systems like my MB, automatically download the entire contact list?

12. Why is there no "speed dial" function that allows you to make a call by holding down a number? Why do you have to press "off-hook" + "speed dial" + "specific speed dial #" + "send"? That's not my idea of speedy?

13. Manu-matic mode is a complete joke! It does not hold gears at all regardless of sport or reg tranny setting. If you manually put it in 3rd or 4th and mash the throttle so you don't induce a 2 gear kickdown, it will still kickdown anyways. If you put the tranny in 3rd and want to do some spirited squirting through traffic, it will upshift before redline anyways. Who are they kidding? Remove the stupid manu-matic mode and give me a $1.59 aux-input jack instead. While they are at it, they should apply the money they would save towards a 2nd trunk light and a couple feet of wiring so they could position both lights underneath the rear deck.

OK, I think that's it for now. Still loving my GS but these are little detail things that could use some re-engineering.
Old 12-13-06, 05:29 AM
sbrown02
Pole Position

All good points 2thfxr. Hopefully senior Lexus officials frequent CL to take advantage of this FREE advice.
Old 12-13-06, 05:53 AM
rilot
Driver School Candidate

I have a few to add.

Why is the parking assist always on? Why not have it off by default and then activate when placed in reverse or a button on the dash is pressed. Having it on by default and then having to press a button to switch it off is counter intuitive.

What were they thinking with the ugly as sin digital clock and outside temp display?

I want to see what the temperature is set to in side the car without having to press a button to find out.

Why no Bi-Xenon lamps? Most other cars of this class have them so why only Halogen full beams and Xenon dips?

Why can't I dial the phone from my phone book while the car is in motion? I can dial it by using my handset which kind of defeats the object of a hands free kit.
Old 12-13-06, 06:37 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

I think the GS instrument panel design looks ancient compared to the other Lexus models, especially the LS.

And I don't like the green backlighting on the buttons - light blue or white would have been better.

And there should be wood on the dashboard - the unbroken expanse of plastic looks a little cheap.

And the heated seats don't seem to get as warm as the ones on the ES.

And the Yokohama Advan tires (18" wheels) are mediocre at best.

But all of these are just good reasons to trade up to the GS-F in a few years.
Old 12-13-06, 07:11 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you one of those that finds their way to an auto forum in order to post complaints? J/K ...and you know I am.
Old 12-13-06, 07:51 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Are you one of those that finds their way to an auto forum in order to post complaints? J/K ...and you know I am.
Bob, are you the one who had the trany problems? If so, I think you would happy if this all you had to deal with.
Old 12-13-06, 08:17 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I absolutely HATE not being able to easily tell if the compressor is on or having it kick on automatically when theres no need for it. Driving with it on when its not needed definitely affects performance and fuel economy. For most people this is not an issue because the common joe doesnt know what the hell a compressor does or that it affects performance, but for those who dont want to waste gas and performance when its not needed, its a bummer to have to actually tell a 50K+ car when it should not be running its compressor!
Old 12-13-06, 08:54 AM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, sounds like you complain about everything in life.
Old 12-13-06, 08:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2006
Bob, are you the one who had the trany problems? If so, I think you would happy if this all you had to deal with.

It was just an inside joke, and yes I would have been and far more than tranny, and sure would not have slapped even inside joke humor down if I thought he felt these were major mechanical type items.

As for upper-ceiling-roof area controls, I had suggested on ES forum one could get either a tube of or pint of that clear paint that glows in the dark from Home Depot used on kids ceilings to show galaxies and stars when the lights are out. It is invisible until dark. Using a Q-tip one could paint the adjacent area to them or the buttons themselves and they will be visible at night.
Old 12-13-06, 09:12 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=2thfixr;2294019]Let me start by saying that I love my GS. That being said, I have a couple of complaints.
4. Why did my $40k Sienna Limited MINIVAN have an adjustment inside the car to electrically adjust the level of the headlights and my $51k GS does not? I know the motors are there because the HID lights constantly auto-level when you accelerate and decelerate.

I have the same van. its becuase teh auto-leveling in the GS does what you're doing manually in teh Sienna. We're not supposed to be touching that slider all the time. But like anythign manual, we use it wrong, and when we get stuck in auto mode, its not to our likeing. I bet if we drove with autoleveling from the start, we would be ok.

5. Why did my $40k Sienna Limited MINIVAN have laser cruise control to maintain distance with the cars in front of me but my $51k GS does not?

Its in the manual. It's an option, but our (mine don't have it either) car doesn't have it. And it makes me feel like I got a lower quality car too.

6. Why is there no aux input jack?
Um.... I'm guessing next year we're gonna see that feature. You watch.

13. Manu-matic mode is a complete joke! It does not hold gears at all regardless of sport or reg tranny setting. If you manually put it in 3rd or 4th and mash the throttle so you don't induce a 2 gear kickdown, it will still kickdown anyways. If you put the tranny in 3rd and want to do some spirited squirting through traffic, it will upshift before redline anyways. Who are they kidding? Remove the stupid manu-matic mode and give me a $1.59 aux-input jack instead. While they are at it, they should apply the money they would save towards a 2nd trunk light and a couple feet of wiring so they could position both lights underneath the rear deck.
Aww it does? I didn't play around with that too much. I guess this is something I have to realize and thats the 2007 is the same as the 2006 model. They didn't do anything to it since last year.
Old 12-13-06, 09:33 AM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2thfxr,

These are good points you brought up! I'm with you 100%. You should send this list to Corporate Lexus!
Old 12-13-06, 01:11 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

100% with you on almost all these points 2thfxr, esp. the lack of button lighting.... pi$$ poor job on a car like this.... shame....

I have a WIBNI more than a complaint, and that is I'd like to set a switch to cause the mirrors to fold in when the car is shut off.... doing this manually is a PITA....
Old 12-13-06, 02:03 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

jaxgs350-
Yes! What the heck, lots of cars has been folding in mirrors for a few years now. What makes it worse it that button is hidden. So I have to open it, hit it, then close it or wack my knee on it.

Hey is there a way to lock the doors when you drive? Its weird a car like this doesnt have that...
Old 12-13-06, 02:07 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Hey is there a way to lock the doors when you drive? Its weird a car like this doesnt have that...
Yes, you can change the setting so that it auto-locks when the car hits 12mph. I forgot the steps but it's in the manual.
Old 12-13-06, 02:32 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starstreak
jaxgs350-
Yes! What the heck, lots of cars has been folding in mirrors for a few years now. What makes it worse it that button is hidden. So I have to open it, hit it, then close it or wack my knee on it.

You can also set it to lock/unlock when in drive vs park. or the speed thing.
if you don't want to do it, take it to your dealership, they'll do it for free hopefully.

Quick Reply: New complaints after 5k miles