GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

RWD vs AWD and that bump on a side...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 09:36 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RWD vs AWD and that bump on a side...

After looking at freshly posted pics by EXP_Cougar (nice car!!!), I realized that RWD does not have that horrible bump from the side wall where the drivers right foot is. Is that just a part of AWD? This bump has been driving me crazy since I can not adjust my right leg/foot in a position that doesn't cause a fatigue after even a short period of driving

Anybody with AWD, how do you guys get around it? Don't you think it makes it tough to wedge your right foot to get to the gas pedal all the way in the corner? To me, this is the only complain with my GS350 AWD. I love the car and everything about it, but it takes away from enjoying the drive everytime I have to think how to stuck my foot in there between gas pedal and that bump, especially in stop-and-go traffic where you have to constantly move between gas and break pedal. Anybody w/AWD having the same problem?
Old 12-14-06, 04:21 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Anybody w/AWD can comment on this?
Old 12-14-06, 04:35 AM
Got350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a GS350 yet but I will be placing my order in Jan. I've read a few post and saw you got your's from Ray Catena, that's where I got my RX from too. I test drove the AWD and felt the same way. I'm gonna take the chance and order the RWD. Knowing my luck this weather we're having of mid 50's in Dec will end and we'll get snow storms every week. Best of luck trying to find a way around that hump...
Old 12-14-06, 06:24 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bump is somewhat of an eyesore to me, but for the most part
I don't even know it's there... I am right handed and tend to lean
away from the bump when I am driving. I can see however how it
could be an unbelievable nuisance comfort wise if you tend to lean
into the bump
Old 12-14-06, 06:35 AM
bigzip
Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Anybody w/AWD having the same problem?
I've owned my GS for almost two years and it bothered me for the first couple of months but I had forgotten it was even there until I read your post.
Old 12-14-06, 08:25 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bump doesn't bother me nor gets in the way. My leg kind of goes right over it.
Old 12-14-06, 09:26 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I'm happy to see this is not a product of my imagination and others aware of that too. I only had a car for 3 weeks and put 500 miles on it. So far my drive is a short commute to/from work with a lot of stop'n'go. I first thought it was incorrect seat adjustment since I like sitting low on the floor. Than, realized that the lower you sit the harder it is to get over the hump with a foot.

@SGT: I tried you suggestion of "going over it", and its the most comfortable way since your leg and foot is straight. BUT, in stop'n'go traffic when you constantly have to move between gas and break pedal, it becomes pain in the ****.

Sounds like its just a matter of time before you get used to it. Probably a small price to pay for such a fine piece of machinery

@marshmallo: Not sure how can you lean either way when the back/side of the seat kind of contoured to keep you in the middle?

@Got350: RWD with 18" lower tires might not be the best idea for a heavy snow, but how much of it do we get throught the year here on east coast? Got my AWD for safety reasons and softer ride cause driving my baby daughter in there.
Old 12-14-06, 09:32 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

at least you don't have the bump I have in mine in the rear middle floor. I think I have another engine there or something......
no leg room at all.
Old 12-14-06, 09:32 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

twister, I think once you drive it a little more you'll get used to it and not even notice it's there anymore.
Old 12-14-06, 09:35 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
I'm happy to see this is not a product of my imagination and others aware of that too. I only had a car for 3 weeks and put 500 miles on it. So far my drive is a short commute to/from work with a lot of stop'n'go. I first thought it was incorrect seat adjustment since I like sitting low on the floor. Than, realized that the lower you sit the harder it is to get over the hump with a foot.

@marshmallo: Not sure how can you lean either way when the back/side of the seat kind of contoured to keep you in the middle?
The bump was more of nuisance to me when I first got the car,
but I had for the most part forgotten about it. I actually noticed
that my right leg goes over the bump and I stretch my legs all the
way to the front when I am driving.

I wish the bump were not there also when I think about it...
Old 12-14-06, 06:23 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like there is a light at end of this tunnel Probably in a short while I'm gonna think all other cars are weird without that hump
Old 12-14-06, 06:31 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For those of us who don't have AWDs (here in Atlanta), could you please post a pic of the so called bump so we can see what this is all about. If theres a pic of a rwd also that would be cool to compare.
Old 12-14-06, 07:13 PM
Got350
Driver School Candidate

Twister - Yes I know awd is probably the smarter way to go. But I'm planning on putting on snow tires on the stock 17s for the winter plus I don't really have to drive to work everyday. I have to take P/T since I work in NYC. That's why for my scenerio I figured it might be okay to order the rwd. Still thinking twice about it. But I might take the gamble.
Old 12-14-06, 07:36 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

FWIW, I know the bump is there but it doesn't bother me or cause me to be uncomfortable. Would I rather it not be there, sure. But it's not because of discomfort, just more of aesthetics.
Old 12-14-06, 11:54 PM
kuch123
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sbrown02
FWIW, I know the bump is there but it doesn't bother me or cause me to be uncomfortable. Would I rather it not be there, sure. But it's not because of discomfort, just more of aesthetics.
i have the AWD and i don't even know what your talking about so i guess it doesn't bother me

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD and that bump on a side...