GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Q for long time Lexus owners. Is Lexus quality going downhill?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06 | 06:47 PM
kuch123
Pole Position
CL Folding 500000

Sounds like a management/staffing problem at that dealership, and i would report it to corporate.. Do you not get the service satisfaction questionaire in the mail after getting service? If someone acted like that at my dealership in front of the customer, they would probably be fired on the spot..
Old 12-27-06 | 07:31 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
2thfixr and GreatSmile - two dentists perhaps.

Yes we are.

A friend of mine got a ES350 as soon as it comes out. He is having issues with Nav, tranny, and rattles. The Nav screen has been replaced and TSB on tranny has been done. The Nav does not pick up gps signal at this point. He has been a Lexy customer for more than 10 years and he will definitely agree that the quality has been declining.

Last edited by GreatSmile; 12-27-06 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-27-06 | 07:56 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
Yes we are.

A friend of mine got a ES350 as soon as it comes out. He is having issues with Nav, tranny, and rattles. The Nav screen has been replaced and TSB on tranny has been done. The Nav does not pick up gps signal at this point. He has been a Lexy customer for more than 10 years and he will definitely agree that the quality has been declining.
Driving a loaner ES350 with 5500 miles on it. It has the same rattle my 06 GS430 has just not as loud yet. Test drove the LS 460 and heard some slight noises. Will not be surprised that car will have the same rattle.
Old 12-27-06 | 11:10 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e-man
Anyway, my point -- this never would have happened 10 years ago. Back then, Lexus would have bent over backwards to make the situation right for me. I wouldn't expect this treatment from a Ford dealership, much less a Lexus dealership.
Great story! I guess I'm not the only one that has a crappy service dept. I don't know if I mentioned it, but the guy that test drove the car with me actually took a personal call while on his test drive and had the ***** to complain about poor service from the place repairing his RV! This is the very same guy that directed a glass guy that happened to be at the dealership to look at my car and do something about the rattle despite the fact that he had the TSIB in hand.

Oh well, as I was telling someone in a PM. Yes, I am going to quote myself here, "I have not had nearly as many headaches as you yet I feel just as victimized. I guess the main thing that bothers me is that I feel suckered. I bought the cars based on Lexus' reputation for quality. There were a few complaints on the ES forum but that didn't stop me because their reputation for quality and over-engineering was so strong. I heard comments about how much attention to detail there was on the smallest items. They made sure the interior materials would weather well and not fade in the sun etc. They put dimples on the bottom of the LS to smooth out airflow and wind noise. Blah Blah Blah Etc Etc. The 1995 GS300 that I had was an absolute dream. My 2004 Camry SE was also incredibly satisfying to own and drive. Of course both cars can't compare to a fine German car but they were perfect instruments of transportation. Reliable, perfectly satisfying, no issues. Then expecting to find the holy grail of automobiles, I buy 2 Lexus' and I get this garbage. Driving the IS is the straw that broke the camel's back. It is such a POS (piece of ****) that I am still reeling in disbelief. This is a Lexus?!?!?! I take my GS in for a rattle and give them the TSIB and I get it back with paperwork saying that the TSIB was performed but the rattle is still there? I check for myself and the TSIB is not done?!?!?! I just don't get it, this is not what I signed on for and this is not what I expect from this legendary nameplate. It's all smoke and mirrors to me. The Lexus name and their reputation for over-engineering, quality, and customer service is all a facade. It's all about appearing to care just to get a good customer satisfaction survey. My purchase experience was terrible, the way they dealt with my first problem was terrible, and the fact that I have to check for the presence or absence of major issues affecting other vehicles is terrible.

I guess it's a love hate relationship right now. I love my GS but I hate Lexus. "
Old 12-28-06 | 04:24 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=2thfixr;2320101"I have not had nearly as many headaches as you yet I feel just as victimized. I guess the main thing that bothers me is that I feel suckered.[/QUOTE]

What we have here is a case of having been:

L' Finessed

A lot of people are being Finessed, which I understand is a street slang term used in Southern France.
Old 12-28-06 | 04:37 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-man
The parts manager rolled his eyes, looked at me, and then said in a condescending voice "Come on. There's no way that happened in the wash. These things fall off all the time. I replace 2-3 of them on the GS every week." e
Not a good experience, but doesn't this raise another question?

Why are they falling off-- "all the time" --so often that 2-3 are needing to be replaced each week?
Old 12-28-06 | 04:54 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Robert, I would definitely call Lexus Corporate and let them know what you are going through with your dealership. It's something they need to know.
Old 12-28-06 | 07:05 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
Robert, I would definitely call Lexus Corporate and let them know what you are going through with your dealership. It's something they need to know.
agreed... venting in this forum won't likely get their full attention... but perhaps sending them a letter and enclosing a few links to these threads may do the trick
Old 12-28-06 | 07:12 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Great story! I guess I'm not the only one that has a crappy service dept.
And not that this makes any difference whatsoever, but I'm not some punk teenager in ripped jeans. I am a 38 years old, married, 2 kids, and an in-house lawyer for a major corporation. No one should be treated like that, but the guy really needs to consider his audience when he decides to vent off some steam.

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Not a good experience, but doesn't this raise another question?

Why are they falling off-- "all the time" --so often that 2-3 are needing to be replaced each week?
Well, it's probably a combination of age and a lot of car washes (and I guess the engineering was slightly off as well). To be honest, though, I really don't fault Lexus for this. Things happen to a car over time, and my car is almost 8 years old with 92,000 miles. My objection was with the way I was treated. I think the same holds true for your experience. Transmissions shouldn't go bad on a brand new car, but if and when they do, the company needs to stand behind its product and, more importantly, the customer, and take care of the situation.