GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why does the trunk wire buzz?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 01:06 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does the trunk wire buzz?

OK, I opened my trunk (2007 GS350) and I leaned in to get a package. My ear was close to the flat wire mesh on the left side of the trunk that houses the wiring (i'm guessing) for the trunk lights. It makes loud buzzing sound. Like electrical sounding. Almost like a short. Its not hot, and none of the lights are on. Does anybody else have that sound? If you're hearing isnt that good, just put your ear up to that black mesh wire tubing and you should hear it.
Old 12-28-06, 01:33 AM
ajcsanders
Driver

...hope your insurance covers fire ...mine doesn't buzz. Get the dealer to check it out ASAP!
Old 12-28-06, 01:44 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

nice job scaring the guy ajcsanders lol
Old 12-28-06, 02:52 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

seriously. I should get that checked?
Old 12-28-06, 03:40 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Could it be the fuel pump? Is the car on or off? Are the headlights on? The Xenon lights make a wierd buzzing sound. Could it be related to that? BTW, the trunk light is on the right.
Old 12-28-06, 05:13 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

If I remember correctly, there is some kind of system that after the car is turned off, it makes some noise toward the back of the car. Oh boy... it drives me nuts now that I can't remember it. It has to do with the direct injection system. I'll find it.
Old 12-28-06, 05:47 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

This was brought up a year ago or so. They all buzz.
Put your ear up to it close. Not sure why through.
Old 12-28-06, 06:39 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't spend too much time with my head in the trunk , therefore didn't hear that buzzing sound yet. BUT, I think I have an explanation to it. That electrical ribbon cable you referring to gotta have an active retractable mechanism. That is a reason why they choose to have a flat cable. Just my educated guess, but its definitely an active retractable rolling mechanism that senses a tension on a cable when you open the trunk. Than when you close it, it rolls it back. I have a good feeling this is where the buzzing comes from when trunk is open
Old 12-28-06, 09:47 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Just spoke with my sales manager. There is a fuel leak monitoring system near the trunk area and it does sound like an electric motor. It's all computer control to monitor exhaust/fuel...etc. It can turn on anytime, even if the car has been sitting for awhile. There.... it drove me crazy all morning long because I remember something about it but can't remember what it is. Getting old.......
Old 12-28-06, 10:15 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

No.no. I put my ear right up to the ribbin cable. It buzzes in my ear. its not "in" the trunk that I'm hearing the sound.
Alll lights are off as far as I can see
Old 12-28-06, 10:27 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sticking to my "conspiracy" theory with a retractable tension sensing mechanism for that ribbon cable Will have to ask guys at dealership next time I'm there washing the car
Old 12-28-06, 10:39 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I made an appointment. The guy answering didn't even know what cable I was talking about. Doh. Anyways, not till Jan10th. Gonna have them look at my seat too.
Old 01-20-07, 12:32 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Can someone check this please? I took it to the dealer. The service manager couldnt hear it, he asked my sales rep to listen and he said he could. lol. The service manager looked like he wanted to hit the salesman for saying that. Anyways, we tested out 3 cars. 2 had no sound, one did. It looks like the one that made soun had a reverse camera, while the other two didnt.

Can people with the reverse camera test this? Put your ear flat up to the black ribbon that connects the trunk lid to the trunk. Tell me if you hear a buzz. The service manager said he'll open a "ticket" on this and see what Lexus says. I doubt that means anything.
Old 01-20-07, 02:18 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

why doesnt someone just pull the wiring diagram for the trunk and find out what wires are in that "ribbon" , if its a real camera only issue, unplug the rear camera fuse and see if it doesnt go away, then u know thats ur culprit
Old 01-20-07, 02:43 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

maybe someone wired a bomb to it?

K I D D I N G......

I never heard mine buzz.
hmm.
maybe I'll go lay in the trunk for a bit and see if I can hear anything...
Oh wait, I can't even fit real estate signs in it. blasted trunk space.....

Quick Reply: Why does the trunk wire buzz?