GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Underimpressed By GS 450h

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 07:25 PM
CarMonkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underimpressed By GS 450h

Test drove the GS 450h yesterday for the first time. After reading all the reviews I was waiting for the "instant"accleration. But no.
While I woulg not go as far as saying I did not like the car, I was surprised and saddened that my current BMW 545i was quicker and better handling.

I've owned a GS in the past, so I expected the difference in handling, but after reading all the posts, I was expecting a rocket off the line. At best it accerated nicely, but not instantly and definitely not for $60,000+.

I'm going to give it another drive, but was my experience unusual?
Old 12-31-06, 08:38 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CarMonkey
All the GS models seem to have a lot better acceleration from 60-90 than from 0-60, so I don't think so. For my needs, that's fine - highway passing is the only time I need powerful acceleration, and the GS delivers that in spades.
Old 12-31-06, 08:40 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RandalR
All the GS models seem to have a lot better acceleration from 60-90 than from 0-60, so I don't think so. For my needs, that's fine - highway passing is the only time I need powerful acceleration, and the GS delivers that in spades.
that applies to almost all lexus cars. they're just awesome cruising cars.
Old 12-31-06, 10:17 PM
Safire07h
Driver School Candidate

Are you sure the car was not in snow mode possibly?

I can believe its that slow, lexus clames it to be their fastest production model yet

0-60 in 5 1/4 sec
Old 01-01-07, 06:17 AM
CarMonkey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Safire07h
Are you sure the car was not in snow mode possibly?

I can believe its that slow, lexus clames it to be their fastest production model yet

0-60 in 5 1/4 sec
It wasn't slow. It just didn't have the kick I was expecting given the battery's supposed instant acceleration. At highway speeds, it was wonderful. It felt like I was at about 55-60mph, but I was at 75mph.
Old 01-01-07, 08:15 AM
Safire07h
Driver School Candidate

I dont seem to have this issue with my 07 450h. I have seen if the batteries get drained, the "kick" you are expecting goes away.

BTW, the tires would spin if the full amount of torque was let lose from the get go, and i believe that the car limits how much acceleration you get right off the line, but get into the 15 mph range and watch it fly.

I dont know if this holds true if the TCS is set to off.

Last edited by Safire07h; 01-01-07 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-01-07, 08:36 AM
Joe C
Lexus Test Driver

I was surprised and saddened that my current BMW 545i was quicker and better handling.
As for the handling aspect, BMW is known for their handling, while lexus tends to have a softer, more plus ride. If you're looking for a car that handles a bit tighter, I'd suggest looking towards the IS350.
Old 01-01-07, 09:21 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It still amazes me that people expect the GS to be sport cars. The car is big and heavy. It's tall too. The tranny and differential would need a redesign plus more like 500 horses to get the off the line quickness people crave. The car would a completely different suspension plus be wider for better handling. It's a luxury sport sedan with emphasis on luxury.
Old 01-01-07, 10:19 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Test drove the GS 450h yesterday for the first time. After reading all the reviews I was waiting for the "instant"accleration. But no.
While I woulg not go as far as saying I did not like the car, I was surprised and saddened that my current BMW 545i was quicker and better handling.

I've owned a GS in the past, so I expected the difference in handling, but after reading all the posts, I was expecting a rocket off the line. At best it accerated nicely, but not instantly and definitely not for $60,000+.

First of all it's 65K base price with all options, and I have the 07 550i, and the GS450h, is .01 seconds faster in a 0-60mph. CHeck the stats. Yes, It does take a second for the engine to spool up, then it's off.
The BMW 550i I have is better for corners, yes, but the GS450h, is an incredible car in itself. No comparison in long term value and longevity of the engine vs the maint. you I will have from my 550 after the 4 years free maint. is up. That's why I sell all my BMW's at that time, becuase the cost for all the rediculous maint. is annoying. They don't last... I've had several. My .02.
Old 01-01-07, 01:20 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

My GS350 replaced a 745Li and it's pretty damn snappy. In fact, that's the best way to describe how the car launches, it snaps off the line very hard. Check my sig and you will see that I am not saying that because this car is quick relative to what I am used to. I have never driven a GS450h so I am assuming that it has the same if not "snappier" acceleration than my GS350. I have to agree that the handling is nowhere near 7 series levels but then again, neither is anything else. Active sway bars and BMW suspension tuning can't be beaten period. You might want to make sure that the car you are driving has it's tranny in regular mode and not snow mode as previously mentioned. Also, traction control kicks in all the time on my GS so that may have been a factor during your test drive. See if your salesman will show you how to disable it. There must have been something going on, how many passengers did you have in the car?
Old 01-01-07, 01:57 PM
CarMonkey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by reggiek
It still amazes me that people expect the GS to be sport cars. The car is big and heavy. It's tall too. The tranny and differential would need a redesign plus more like 500 horses to get the off the line quickness people crave. The car would a completely different suspension plus be wider for better handling. It's a luxury sport sedan with emphasis on luxury.
What I'm saying is is that is not as quick from the start as my current BMW 545i. This was surprising given the reviews. Given the fact the BMW only weighs 100 lbs more and is actually bigger than the GS, I don't think it is too much to expect quickness given the price.

When I redrive, I'll make sure it is not in Snow mode as I did not check that.
Old 01-01-07, 03:40 PM
jwa
Pole Position

What I'm saying is is that is not as quick from the start as my current BMW 545i. This was surprising given the reviews. Given the fact the BMW only weighs 100 lbs more and is actually bigger than the GS, I don't think it is too much to expect quickness given the price.

When I redrive, I'll make sure it is not in Snow mode as I did not check that.
There's a BIG performance difference between "Normal," "Snow," and "Power" mode. Make sure it's in "Power" mode, and push the accelerator all the way to the floor. I've driven the 545 enough time to know it's not nearly as quick as the 450H. IMO, the only advantage of the BMW is better handling in sharp corners.
Old 01-01-07, 04:44 PM
LexFather

1. Did the GS 450h you drove have the optional AAAS?
2. The GS 450h has the fastest passing speeds of any V-8 in its class and is very competative 0-60.
3. You are aware it has a CVT tranny, thus no shifting, it is always in the proper gear. Which takes some time to get used to.

Until R&T just got 0-60 in 4.9 in the IS 350, the GS 450h was the fastest Lexus.

Seat of the pants feeling just is not an accurate measure of speed, especially in a quiet, comfy Lexus. The car is so smooth added with the CVT, those of us used to shifts and redlines won't understand the 450h totally on 1 test drive.
Old 01-01-07, 04:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

werd. Lexus' smooth and quiet ride deceives speed quite a bit. Sometimes I think i'm cruising at 40mph, but really, i'm doing 65
Old 01-01-07, 04:56 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
werd. Lexus' smooth and quiet ride deceives speed quite a bit. Sometimes I think i'm cruising at 40mph, but really, i'm doing 65
Happens to me all the time, too. It's almost impossible to drive 70 on the freeway in a GS350 - you have to go at least 85 to feel like you're moving.

Quick Reply: Underimpressed By GS 450h