GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Vaistech SLS issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-06, 11:07 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vaistech SLS issues

I have had a bluetooth/nav issue ever since I installed my Vaistech SLS but it has been intermittent. I called Vaistech the other day and they seemed puzzled as well. Tonight I figured out the problem. It is definitely the SLS module because everytime I start the car and use anything other than the Sirius sat mode, the voice output on my bluetooth/nav cycles and switches on and off. It's like someone on the other end is pushing mute every other second. As soon as I switch to sat mode even for a split second and try a call again or try using nav again, it's back to normal. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 01-01-07, 10:36 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Robert,

If you remember, I originally had a few issues with SLS as well. Apparently Vaistech has a new wire harness which they just "released" and its causing some BT problems. The shop who did my install had to use their old harness to get it to work. I also had to play with BT voice quality (set at 5 right now) to get a smooth non-choppy communication. Try that, sounds like the muting you referring to might be due to choppy quality of voice. You have to go into Diagnostics service menu (INFO + light switch on/off three times). If that fails, call them up again and request to send you an old wire harness.

Right now I have no problems with Sirius, except that I have to keep antenna outside on a metal surface. Otherwise, I keep loosing a signal or it goes into a permanent "Loading...". While placed outside, reception is really good.
Old 01-01-07, 06:55 PM
planoag
Rookie

I am experiencing a similar thing with my SLX. When I start the car in FM mode I get a dropout every few seconds. As soon as I cycle through the SAT and back to FM the dropout stops. If I start in SAT mode then goto FM there is no dropouts. I guess the SLX is trying to boot and causes the dropouts ;-) On a different level, I am experiencing a lot worse XM reception with the built in vs. the portable I was using previously. I have the antenna in the same location. Are the Terk modules using a weaker tuner? Seems counter-intuitive since the Terk box is so much bigger than the little portable unit ;-)
Old 01-07-07, 12:55 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Unbelievable, I'm starting to have the same problem!!! When I'm in SAT mode, there is no problem receiving or making calls with BT. If I'm in a regular FM or CD mode, any calls through BT are "muted". It shows that I'm connected, but I can't hear the dial tone or people on the other end. I could of swear it was working before, but maybe I had it in SAT mode all along? Will have to wait until CES show is over next week to call VaisTech and my install shop...
Old 01-07-07, 06:18 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I called them last week and it seems there are problems when the Sirius module is located too close to the Nav unit because of electrical interference. From my understanding of the conversation, the Sirius module needs to be physically grounded to metal somewhere away from the nav unit. It was suggested that I place the Sirius module under the seat or behind the glovebox. Basically, he had no direct experience with the 3GS body so he was suggesting locations but IMO those two locations are not viable locations. Also, that kind of thing is easier said than done. Once you place the Vaistech unit, there is no place to put the Sirius box within reach of the cables supplied. Furthermore, you would have to take the seat out and run the harness under the carpet if you wanted to mount it under the seat. It's simply not an option and personally, I would rather not listen to Sirius than go through all of that.

I told him that I heard some were fixing their bluetooth issues with a new harness so he reluctantly sent me a new harness. I am assuming that this is the one that your dealership used. It's sitting on my desk but I won't bother putting it in if your car is having issues despite the new harness.

A little voice was telling me that I should just stick with the Sirius tuner that was working without issues. All this just so I could change channels with the touchscreen.
Old 01-07-07, 06:42 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, the last story I got from my installation shop is that a NEW wire harness does not work, while the OLD one is OK. WTF?!? My neighbor next door has $100 Sirius external module in a car with XM dot antenna and gets perfrect reception.....
Old 01-08-07, 02:10 PM
phattie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by planoag
I am experiencing a similar thing with my SLX. When I start the car in FM mode I get a dropout every few seconds. As soon as I cycle through the SAT and back to FM the dropout stops. If I start in SAT mode then goto FM there is no dropouts. I guess the SLX is trying to boot and causes the dropouts ;-) On a different level, I am experiencing a lot worse XM reception with the built in vs. the portable I was using previously. I have the antenna in the same location. Are the Terk modules using a weaker tuner? Seems counter-intuitive since the Terk box is so much bigger than the little portable unit ;-)
i am having the same exact problem but with my SLX in my IS 250. I also have the SLI Ipod interface piggy backed to the SLX and when i called VIAS they told me that i should change the the SLI from md to cd or cd/mp3 mode... sounds odd.. i did not do the install so i have not had time to go back to my installer. i hate that i have to cycle to fm to get the FM or SAT to not drop.
Old 01-08-07, 04:18 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Another update. Called VaisTech tech support. They officially confirmed its a problem with their firmware, and they are working on a solution. I figured that explanation with EMI interference was a BS. If such exists, I would always have a problem either in SAT or DISC or FM mode. But, it works fine when I'm listening to Satellite, but no DISC or FM. So, we just have to wait for their resolution and than replacement box since I don't believe there is any other way to update the firmware.
Old 01-08-07, 05:11 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Another update. Called VaisTech tech support. They officially confirmed its a problem with their firmware, and they are working on a solution. I figured that explanation with EMI interference was a BS. If such exists, I would always have a problem either in SAT or DISC or FM mode. But, it works fine when I'm listening to Satellite, but no DISC or FM. So, we just have to wait for their resolution and than replacement box since I don't believe there is any other way to update the firmware.
It's pretty easy to update the firmware at home. Just drop kick it out of the garage. Thanks for doing the legwork on this matter Twistie.
Old 01-08-07, 06:05 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Robert, if you got my PM, the other "legwork" is research I'm doing about sharkfin XM antenna. I got confirmation if you change Lexus proprietary connector to RA SMB, you can safely use sharkfin for Sirius!!! Someone done that on West Coast with their IS350. As soon as the guys from my installation shop are back from that CES show, I'm putting them to work to change that connector Even if it doesn't work or they screw something up, not a big loss since I will never go to XM or use sharkfin for anything else. But, that would be a cool experiment to try
Old 01-08-07, 06:55 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Robert, if you got my PM, the other "legwork" is research I'm doing about sharkfin XM antenna. I got confirmation if you change Lexus proprietary connector to RA SMB, you can safely use sharkfin for Sirius!!! Someone done that on West Coast with their IS350. As soon as the guys from my installation shop are back from that CES show, I'm putting them to work to change that connector Even if it doesn't work or they screw something up, not a big loss since I will never go to XM or use sharkfin for anything else. But, that would be a cool experiment to try
I'm actually about an hour away from the guy that does the antenna mod and I drive by that part of town every other week or so. Regardless, I'm ok with my current antenna situation. This car is my POS go out of town car so I don't mind the appearance of the Sirius antenna on the roof. I know this sounds very negative but the dash ticking thing has completely taken the enjoyment out of the car for me and it may end up on a dealer lot somewhere in the near future. For now it's merely a means of transportation and I just want my bluetooth to work properly. I already lost 3 calls because of this Vaistech situation.