GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone but me think the interior lights are a little too dim?.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 05:45 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone but me think the interior lights are a little too dim?.........

The interior lights of my new GS350 are much dimmer than my ES300 and old GS300. They are the 'funky' blue color, but seem much too dim to do any good. Is there only 1 one brightness?
Old 01-05-07, 05:50 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
The interior lights of my new GS350 are much dimmer than my ES300 and old GS300. They are the 'funky' blue color, but seem much too dim to do any good. Is there only 1 one brightness?
As GS350 owner, you are now so cool that you radiate your own light...so the Lexus engineers figured brighter interior lights would be overkill.

I don't know - they are kind of dim if you need to actually read the gigantic owner's manual.
Old 01-05-07, 06:27 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

I agree that the lighting is very poor. Trunk lighting is even worse. Very disappointed. Of course you never see the lighting when you are buying the car during the daylight. Most of us assumed that they would do a proper job of illuminating the interior. My RX350 has much better lighting. I think my IS has better lighting too. Overall it is a wonderfull vehicle though!
Old 01-05-07, 08:26 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I agree that the interior lighting are poor. But those LED reading lights do not bother me at all during driving. Wify was reading a book with the reading light and my son was playing gameboy with reading light on and they did not bother me at all.
Old 01-05-07, 08:33 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it could be brighter. So far the only passenger every night with me in a car is my 21-month old daughter when I pick her up from daycare after work She is just fascinated with a bright audio/control display, so I never hear any complains from here
Old 01-05-07, 09:10 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

It's dim, but in a different way. My old Maxima was brighter as a whole but it was a dim yellow dome light that while the inside was lite up, it wasn't as bright as the LED lights in certain areas. I personally like the LED lights. Although while they stuck the LEDs in every hole of the car, I wish they were a bit brighter.
Old 01-05-07, 09:23 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

I love the LED reading lights, center console light and footspace lights in the rear. But also agree that most switches are so poorly lit I find myself fumbling around sometimes just to figure what is what when I, for example, need to crack the sunroof at night.

It's basic and simple stuff like this that just drives me crazy. I mean don't they test every little detail of these cars on regular joe consumers before they go to mass production... guess not. I gotta believe 9 out of 10 people are going to agree that the interior lighting could be improved.

However, here's something I felt was a nice improvement over my Infiniti. On my 05 Infiniti the dash lighting was that orange hue (I never did like it that much), but what really bugged me was how I'd go to use the cruise control and they had this really bright colored I believe green icon that would come on. And I mean that thing was bright. I'd look down at the speedometer and all I could see was this bright colored icon burning a hole in my eye. So I tried to turn the brightness of the lighting down on the dash and guess what... yea that's right.... the icons that were different colors than that orange hue did not have brightness controls. So they were extra bright all the time. Drove me absolutly crazy. It's little stuff like that that makes my Lexus so much better than an Infiniti.
Old 01-06-07, 08:27 AM
beachfront
Pole Position

Here is something unusual that happened to me with regards to the interior lights (I have a may 2006 GS 430 if it makes a difference.

I picked up a friend for dinner the other day who is a comuter programmer. He had not seen my car and as soon as he got in he mentioned that the interior lighting would drive him crazy. The reason was that he could see a flicker in it (much like a computer screen flickers when you see it in a video).

I can not see this flicker but if your in your car and you run your hand back and forth through the interior lighting you will see (and I did see) a "strobe light" effect.

This is apparantly common for a small part of the population, just like some people who purchase the new DLP TV's can see the colorwheel spinning or a rainbow effect in the screen.

The down side of this is it can cause seizures in some folks. I have not researched this enough as I do not care, but an interesting point regardless.

Note: post not checked for spelling
Old 01-06-07, 09:16 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by beachfront
This is apparantly common for a small part of the population, just like some people who purchase the new DLP TV's can see the colorwheel spinning or a rainbow effect in the screen.
This happens with color blind people.
Old 01-06-07, 02:23 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
This happens with color blind people.