GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 Chrome Wheels, Clear Bra or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07 | 10:15 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Default GS350 Chrome Wheels, Clear Bra or not

Should I chrome the Wheels? Should I do a full clear bra or just the hood and
side fenders? What do you guys think. Thanks for your opions.
Attached Thumbnails GS350 Chrome Wheels, Clear Bra or not-redgs350_08_07_1.jpg  
Old 01-08-07 | 10:34 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Yes get a full clearbra. I'm getting mine installed tomorrow afternoon.
Old 01-08-07 | 11:05 PM
james1017
Rookie

I got my clearbra about 6 months ago and it's worth it, but you should be aware that edge of the bra will get dirty, but I think it's still worth it. Also don't rub it so hard because it will scrach your bra. About your wheels. don't chrome it man, just leave it the way it is. If you thinking about chroming your wheels, just get some new wheels, like Jline wheels ...
Old 01-09-07 | 07:49 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Just got my clear bra put on:
http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258097

Highly reccomend it. As for the wheels, I like them the way they are.
Old 01-09-07 | 07:49 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

Clear bra, yes. Chrome wheels, no. They look classier the way they are - so many people have fake chrome wheels on cheap cars now that it no longer makes a statement.

Yours looks great just the way it is!
Old 01-09-07 | 08:37 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by james1017
Also don't rub it so hard because it will scrach your bra.

Try clean it with rubbing alcohol.. it will take scratches off of clear bra. Then zaino over on top of it.
Old 01-09-07 | 09:43 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Do most of the members do the clear bra on the bumper only? Are there many issues with paint chips on the hood?
Old 01-09-07 | 10:15 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I also have a question about clear bra. How effective is it with incoming bigger/sharper edge stones at highway speed? Wouldn't that just cut through the plastic? Or put a deep scratch which can easily turn into a cut? I talked to a number of people, and gathered kind of 50/50 opinion about clear bra. Some peole said its a nightmare when you go into a big city and someone taps your bumper while parallel parking.

Here in my area we had lots of contruction road work, and in general typical small NJ roads are crappy. So far, I found one little bumper nick which could easily be fixed with touch up. I'm sure clear bra would of taken car of that. But, if that would have been a small sharp-edge stone, wouldn't it cut through the plastic at high speed impact?

BTW, I don't know if you guys noticed that (maybe its on GS350 only?), but my stock GS350 AWD came with a clear bra type of layer on side mirrors. Very neat!!!
Old 01-09-07 | 12:25 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
Try clean it with rubbing alcohol.. it will take scratches off of clear bra.
seiously? I never thought alcohol would remove scratches.....
great tip if so..
ALSO, get the clear bra. I have it on the hood 15 inches, mirrors, handles, rear fender, fogs, main lights, and lower bumper...
Pretty much every exposed area that would get hit by rocks, I have the clear bra. Definetly recommend it!!!!
Lifetime warranty to, so if it discolors or peals, replace it No problem....
it'll save your car from the dings..... Believe me living in CO, you get a **** ton of them.... best add-on for preserving the clean look.
Old 01-09-07 | 12:26 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Do most of the members do the clear bra on the bumper only? Are there many issues with paint chips on the hood?
My clearbra application covered bumper, fenders, hood, and side mirrors. Not sure it makes sense to only do the bumper.
Old 01-09-07 | 12:39 PM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by twister
But, if that would have been a small sharp-edge stone, wouldn't it cut through the plastic at high speed impact?
They don't seem to. I got hit with a shower of little stones on Saturday morning doing about 80 mph on I-680 (a truck must have dropped them). They didn't even dent the clear bra - whatever that material is composed of, it just makes things bounce right off.
Old 01-09-07 | 01:08 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

I also have a question about clear bra. How effective is it with incoming bigger/sharper edge stones at highway speed? Wouldn't that just cut through the plastic? Or put a deep scratch which can easily turn into a cut?
If a stone was going to cause that much damage anyway, then the clearbra would only help lessen the damage done...

BTW, I don't know if you guys noticed that (maybe its on GS350 only?), but my stock GS350 AWD came with a clear bra type of layer on side mirrors. Very neat!!!
Mine (GS350RWD) definitely did not come with that!
Old 01-09-07 | 02:32 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Do the clear bra, but stay away from getting those rims chromed. Just ask the service manger about the chrome coming off in sheets and what happens when they start to corrode around the lip. There is a reason Lexus does not have OEM chrome rims! The dealer sends them off to have a third party chrome them.

Did mine myself with 3M and the bumper was a bear around the sides. Hood and finders are easy. I used a pre-cut, but I think the those that do not use the precut and cover the edges look better.
Old 01-09-07 | 02:43 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

I also have a question about clear bra. How effective is it with incoming bigger/sharper edge stones at highway speed?
Here are two examples with my 430 with 15k miles on it.

First chip stupid rock hit on the edge where the clear bra did not exist. A small chip through to the primer and touch up paint covered it pretty good. Have to look pretty hard to find it.

A bigger rock later hid about an inch up. It tore a little piece of the clear bra in a circle about the size of the end of the writing pin. No damage to the paint. There would have been a big chip at least if not a small dent with out the bra. Only drawback is the little whole collects dirt and there is still a little bit of adhesive there so the dirt sticks to the paint like glue. I haven’t tried yet, but I think it will clean up with some alcohol. So far I think I did the right thing. Hopefully it has to be removed it will not remove the paint with it. Edges still look clean. A few areas on the bumper collect dirt, but the line on the hood is clean. 95% of my 15k miles is highway.
Old 01-10-07 | 07:03 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Uh... CHROME WHEELS PLEASE!

Just get a classy wheel, 20" low profiles, slight drop, and you will be cleaner, classier, unique, and more impressive than the rest of the "avg" looking GS population.

Stock,....

Ghetto.......

Rice.......

Correctly modded / lightly modded....

when I pull up... it's impossible to look at any other GS on the road.....

Quick Reply: GS350 Chrome Wheels, Clear Bra or not