GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bumper Repair Cost Over $5K!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 09:03 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. Some people are disrespectful and frequently dishonest when it comes to situations like this. Just wish a slow painful death on them

It'd be even worse if you had park sensors, too
Old 01-21-07, 09:56 PM
SKA430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you don't get rear ended in the GS: Pretty hard impacts in these cars bend lots of the frame in the back: kind of like an aluminum can getting crunched. New GS and new IS are especially bad, unlike just about all previous Lexus models. The rear frame rails don't have very good crush zones in them, and it tends to bend the rails in front of the floor pan under the back seat.
Old 01-22-07, 05:16 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SKA430
Make sure you don't get rear ended in the GS: Pretty hard impacts in these cars bend lots of the frame in the back: kind of like an aluminum can getting crunched. New GS and new IS are especially bad, unlike just about all previous Lexus models. The rear frame rails don't have very good crush zones in them, and it tends to bend the rails in front of the floor pan under the back seat.
Thanks for that bit of information... that could contribute to at least partially explain why the 2IS is absoultely outrageous to insure.
Old 01-22-07, 05:25 AM
cino135
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
damn that sucks, you've got glacier frost pearl, its probably $1 for the bumper and suspension and $4,999 to spray and match that glacier frost paint!
absolutely correct. awesome paint, horrific cost. seems as if whomever hit your car mustve hit it directly on the wheel then skidded on to the bumper. maybe upper/lower control arm and tie rod end. most places (BODY SHOPS) when they rplc certain pieces of susp (such as listed above) they also like to rplc the knuckle assy as well. sorry to hear about your troubles. insurance would certainly be the way to go here IMO. 3 stage paint is the best looking on these luxury models, but it is also the most expensive. good luck mate!
Old 02-02-07, 11:06 AM
chyates
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by slk_dds
Some moron has the gut to hit and run my GS350 in the parking lot without leaving a note.

From the picture, it looked minor. So I was only going to re-align the front wheels at the Firestone. But the second they raised up my GS350, they lowed it right away. They told me that the suspension is bent and they cannot do alignment on it.

So I took my GS350 back to the dealer for estimate for the bumper and suspension repair. Service manager told me that when the person ran into my bumper that person also "bumped" my front tire, because he saw tire mark on it. Initial estimate was about $3.5k, later $4k, and finally over $5k for the total repair.

ADVICE TO MY DEAR 3RD-GENERATION GS OWNERS, BE AWARE WHERE YOU PARK YOUR TOY !!!
I think I can beat this story, I picked up my GS430 from the dealer on Saturday, and was run over by a Ford expedition on Monday. Initial estimate is 6k before the pull all the panels off and find the damage underneath the panels. So much for the joy of a new car. Now I drop the car off Monday for 2-3 weeks of repair.
Attached Thumbnails Bumper Repair Cost Over K!!!-dscn1992.jpg  
Old 02-02-07, 12:05 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chyates
I think I can beat this story, I picked up my GS430 from the dealer on Saturday, and was run over by a Ford expedition on Monday. Initial estimate is 6k before the pull all the panels off and find the damage underneath the panels. So much for the joy of a new car. Now I drop the car off Monday for 2-3 weeks of repair.
Man, I can feel your pain! I had my car for 3 hours, yes 3 hours, when I got rear-ended while
stopped and pushed into the truck in front of me. Not fun. Car took one helluva impact from behind:

- new rear bumper
- all new rear bumper radar sensors and covers
- one new exhaust tip (luckily the Tanabe was not installed yet!)
- new front bumper
- one new front sensor
- one new front sensor cover
- 6 (yes, 6) pulls on the Cellette frame straightening machine (luckily it all came
back into tolerances... whew!)
- hand-straighten and smooth both rear fender well lips (at the top)
- repaint 077 Starfire pearl (entire back half of car and both bumpers)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
$7,600

Tight as a drum now and very pleased with the repair. No noise/rattles/anything.

I was lucky that no trunk lid or tail light/headlight damage was done. My car was
out for 8 weeks. Part of that was ordering the 3GS frame straightening kit
for the Cellette machine... it had to be trucked here from California... this was the first
3GS in the area they had to pull the frame on to get it back right. Now they tell
me there are 4 other 3GS there now with frame issues... man, wish people would
just slow the frack down!!

Take your 430 to a good shop and just be patient.... all will be restored....
Old 02-02-07, 01:03 PM
chyates
Driver School Candidate

Another caveat to this story is I bought the car used with 6k miles on it. On Monday the day of the accident I stopped by my local Lexus dealer to get the car registered to me, and see if all services had been performed on the car. To my dismay I found the car had already been in a wreck in Wisconsin, and that the engine and transmission had been pulled to complete the body work. It had a 4 wheel alignment, brakes where bled, and 4 air bags replaced.

The dealer I bought the car from Perillo in Chicago said I could bring the car back get my old car back and wash my hands as if the deal had never happened.

On my way home from finding this out at the Lexus dealer is when I got hit. Since there was so much damage the dealer will no longer take the car back. They did make things right however by giving me an additional 4k off the original deal on the car.

Hopefully they fix the car perfectly, and I got a great deal on a used 430. Dealing with this is a major headach though.

Thanks for the feedback.
Cahd