GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 12:46 PM
bearsteve
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank everyone for their unbaised honest opinions. It is a great help.
Old 01-19-07, 01:07 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

no clue. I don't lease. But probably not as good as BMW, and probably a little high for a monthly payment. If the BMW fully loaded I built was out of your price range. I think they are just a little less to equal of the BMW in end price.
Good luck.
Old 01-19-07, 04:54 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CarMonkey
Anyone know if the Mercedes E550 has good residuals and rate factors like BMW?
Go here for residuals and money on all models BMW and MB:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182693

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176569

Last edited by hughh; 01-20-07 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Left our BMW information
Old 01-19-07, 07:34 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CarMonkey
Anyone know if the Mercedes E550 has good residuals and rate factors like BMW?
It does not appear so. The residuals seem to be in the low 50's.
Old 01-20-07, 07:28 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Modeler
I'm all set to go lease my new 450h this Saturday, when I realize that even though BMW 550i would be $13,000 more expensive for me, the lease payments would be identical. This is because of the unrealistic residual values and low money factors used by BMW.
Why do you say unrealistic residual values? BMW has some of the best in the industry. They honestly do hold their value that well. The MF is supported by BMW however at this time and yes, they are juicy.

Originally Posted by bearsteve
I guess what is holding me back from the 550 is it does not come with the Lexus reliability. What is holding me back from the 450h is the trunk and some of what i have read about its handeling.

My problem with the M is strictly looks and transmission, I can't get over the front end plain grill and the large *** it has. If it was a better looking car with a 6 speed for improved mpg, I would be driving it by now.
Let's remember that BMW is above average in reliability - initial and long term.

I agree about the M45 - my second choice. Needs better looks and a 6-speed trans. But it is a serious competitor to the 5.

Originally Posted by Modeler
Do you mean that it's better than the stock stereo on the 450h, or the Mark Levinson system? I didn't even turn on the stereo on the 550i I drove last night. I figured it would be comparable to the Mark Levinson I'm getting on the 450h.
I think you would be very surprised at how good the upgraded audio is in the 5-series. Better bass, not as good imaging (assuming Lexus still has that center dash speaker). I prefer the BMW to my old GS430. Both systems are made by the same company BTW.

Last edited by doug_999; 01-20-07 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-20-07, 07:38 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bearsteve
BMW options:

sport package
active steering
cold weather
comfort access
sirrius radio
premium sound
Get NAV!!! Without it you don't get all the Voice Commands and contrairy to popular belief on this thread, yes, they do work. Skip Sirius and get HD - the Sirius sounds like CRAP. Active Steering is WONDERFUL. Of note, the 2008 550 has just been announced.

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/futur...e=NEW5FVTOPNAV
http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/futur...e=NEW5FVTOPNAV

of note...
New sport auto available as of June production (40% faster shifts)
Regular cruise control will brake the car if needed
Active Cruise will also brake the car and can even work in stop and go driving.
iPOD/USB connectivity
Old 01-20-07, 08:53 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by doug_999
Get NAV!!! Without it you don't get all the Voice Commands and contrairy to popular belief on this thread, yes, they do work. Skip Sirius and get HD - the Sirius sounds like CRAP. Active Steering is WONDERFUL. Of note, the 2008 550 has just been announced.

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/futur...e=NEW5FVTOPNAV
http://www.bmwusa.com/Vehicles/futur...e=NEW5FVTOPNAV

of note...
New sport auto available as of June production (40% faster shifts)
Regular cruise control will brake the car if needed
Active Cruise will also brake the car and can even work in stop and go driving.
iPOD/USB connectivity
After reading doug's post, I would not get the 550i due to the facelift next year.
You'll already feel out dated. Kinda sad<<<< actually cause I just bought mine not 4 months ago. oh well. Maybe I'll trade mine in....

About the M Aero kit, unless in the next year, they make the kit without the seems, it looks bad, and isn't worht the few grand it cost to put and paint. It's no substitute for the real M front. This is a look a like but a bad one in my mind.

My suggestion is to get the GS450h. all b/c of the facelift.
It is nice to have soft close doors and night vision though, but I'd go for the 450h, unless you are waiting till next year, then your decision is harder.

Like I said, I have both b/c I couldn't make a choice.

both are great cars.
Old 01-20-07, 09:42 AM
Kesem
Driver School Candidate

Default When will the '08 450h's be out?

I'm in the same situation. The lease on my 530i expires in March and I'm tempted to get the 2008 5 series that will be available in April. On the other hand it will not be that different and I'm kinda tired of the five I drive now.

I drove the 450h and really love it so I think I'll get one even though the lease rates are awful compared to BMW.

Anyone know when the 450h 08's will be out and the changes expected. I assume it will get HD and an i-pod hookup.
Old 01-20-07, 09:51 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

You can do those two mods yourself even. I don't imagine there will be a facelift or anything drastic that would have me hold off.
Go get yourself a 07 GS450h if you can, they are great.
If you've had the BMW, it's a nice change. You'll be happy.
Old 01-20-07, 10:00 AM
bearsteve
Rookie

I looked at the changes for the 08 550i. The additional options don't matter as i would not get them anyway and the body changes, although nice, are not so drastic as to matter much to me. I have the ability to get a 400 mile new 2007 with all that i want plus the nightvision for $67k (msrp is $71k) or 797/month on a 3 yr 10k mile lease. I am looking at 06's as well with about 5k on it with all i want other than the active steering. No price on that yet.
Old 01-20-07, 10:10 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this talk making me want to visit a local BMW dealer But, I probably should stay away from them in order to keep the opinion that my GS350 is the best!!! I need AWD, and my friend in Philly just got 530xi which he doesn't like due to slow acceleration after coming of an older 540.

BTW, Jace, real estate in CO must be doing really well for 28 year old such as yourself to have $200k worth of cars in the garage
Old 01-20-07, 10:18 AM
bearsteve
Rookie

It is a little sad for me, I love the Lexus experience. If only the 450h had a real trunk or the 460 was being released earlier..............
Old 01-20-07, 12:35 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister

BTW, Jace, real estate in CO must be doing really well for 28 year old such as yourself to have $200k worth of cars in the garage
not at the moment with all this dang snow.
but yes, real estate is good. my 4.4 years at CU with a double in Finance and Economics slowed me down a bit (in real estate at least)
After that I went into an analyst position no thanks. Not my cup of tea. Desk work /
6 years so far in RE.
Yes, it's ok, I could always be better.
and my car total is 81+71+56. that's 208, sir.
only my two are paid off, the GX, well that's still 600 a mnth, but that's my wifes.. OBviously no mods. she like it the way it is. she even said no to HID fogs.

Wish this snow would melt faster.

AND Bear, any choice you make, stick with it and don't look back. Don't regret...... Any decision will be the right one. Good luck.
Old 01-20-07, 07:52 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jace7
After reading doug's post, I would not get the 550i due to the facelift next year.
You'll already feel out dated. Kinda sad<<<< actually cause I just bought mine not 4 months ago. oh well. Maybe I'll trade mine in....

About the M Aero kit, unless in the next year, they make the kit without the seems, it looks bad, and isn't worht the few grand it cost to put and paint. It's no substitute for the real M front. This is a look a like but a bad one in my mind.
As a new car, the residuals and the MF will not be as good as the 07s. If you want to lease, the 07 is the way to go. Also the new trans on the 08 won't start production until June - meaning you are looking at a July delivery at best (and if you are leasing you are going to get killed). Plus that new sport package with 19" wheels and aero kit is going to be much more expensive IMHO.

As far as I know, the M aero kit is the same as the M5 (sans the dual exhaust on the back). Plus it is painted at the Vehicle Prep Center so most people who get it are thrilled with the look. I've never heard one person knock the gaps and/or paint quality (tis still not as good as factory).

The car to watch is the new 535 - will have the 07s rims and with the new trans will be a very nice car. However, you can't get it in stick until Sept production.

BTW, PM me your VIN and I'll have my buddy do a query on it at the dealer to see if anything interesting happend with it.
Old 01-22-07, 02:32 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by genearch
Props to you...

We're about tied on the car total 85+50+65+12 in mods on the 650i

The 50 (GS) is about to go... add an additional 40 to my tab please.

CA real estate is good as well, I'm on the consumer side

Congrats on your success... I'm a few years older.
I'm lisenced in CA as well. About 27 other states, Alberta Canada, and most of Europe. Any assistance I can be, don't hesitate. Mostly residential/Land/Commercial. I also have two degrees from CU one in Ecomonics, and one in Finance. Just stating incase I can be of help.

****Don't abuse the information I provided below please.****

Jason
Broker Associate
Goodacre & Company
Residential/ Land/ Commercial Real Estate
2450 Broadway
Boulder, CO 80304
Mobile: + 001 (720) 253 - 6244
Mobile #2: + 001 (720) 982 - 4791
Office: + 001 (303) 449 - 3434
Fax: + 001 (303) 449 - 3555
jason@goodacreproperties.com