GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 07:27 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
Doug, don't forget this little thing called the inflation; that's the reason the cars were cheaper three years ago.

What people advertise at cars.com is irrelevant. It's not the SOLD prices, it's asked prices. I advertised my 2004 TL on cars.com for $1,500 more than I ended up selling it for.

As far as E-bay Motors auctions are concerned, they almost never exceed reserve price. What one has to look for is the BuyItNow price for the indication of the market prices. I've been shopping on E-bay for a used 2005 BMW 545i and for 2006 Audi A6 and for 2006 GS 430 and for a bunch of other cars, and know very well how it works. A 2 year old low-mileage BMW 5-series can be found for 63% of MRSP; 3 year old ones sell for quite a bit less.
Yes, I know about inflation - Just wanted to clarify the amount the car should be going for today. But like I said, eBay Motors lists the buy it now transactions that have occured and none have.

Anyway....
Looking at the 2004 545s that are available via buy it now...
We have the following Mileage/Price
26,682/$43,995
49,500/$33,900
18,750/$34,995 (salvage title)

So I'm still not seeing where these 30K cars are going for mid to low $30s?

Edit: But if you really want to save $, pick up an 05 or 06 with stick - those take a serious hit in their first year or two.
Old 01-24-07, 07:49 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
It is a rocket, but it is actually .01 seconds slower in a 0-60mph acceleration compared to the GS450h.

It becomes impressive in my mind when you take corners at 70 mph.
my smg is a nice feature as well. nice paddle shifters...manual, with no clutch.
The 450h just came out. The 550 engine came out in 05. So to be fair you are comparing a new engine to one 2 years old. BMW will leap frog again shortly and they Lexus will trump again.

If you know BMW, they are always conservative on their performance numbers. You can usually drop .1-.5 seconds off the 0-60 times.
Old 01-24-07, 09:09 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
The 450h just came out. The 550 engine came out in 05. So to be fair you are comparing a new engine to one 2 years old. BMW will leap frog again shortly and they Lexus will trump again.

If you know BMW, they are always conservative on their performance numbers. You can usually drop .1-.5 seconds off the 0-60 times.
Ya I know about the new one coming out... I will probably trade my 550i in for the new reamped 550 whenever it comes out.

As for the speed I have both and I dragged both to see at the same time, me in the 550i SMG, b/c I know the car and shift better than my friend, and he was in my 450h.
The 450h won.

But yes BMW is conservative, but the 450h is still faster.
The new 550 will eb a different story, that's why I will probabyl have that one as well. after my trade.
Old 01-24-07, 09:44 AM
bearsteve
Rookie

Well, I went for my test drive and, wow, the 550i is one hell of a driving machine. Placed the order and expect my made to order car end of March begining of April. White with beige interior.

At the end of the day, other than for bragging purposes and possibly if you race, do you really think you can tell the difference between a 5.3 and 5.5 0-60 mph car??

I wish I could have stayed with Lexus, but the car that fits my needs isn't being built yet and there is no definative word on when i will be.

Once again, thanks for all the food for thought, it did helpwith my decision
Old 01-24-07, 09:59 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bearsteve
Well, I went for my test drive and, wow, the 550i is one hell of a driving machine. Placed the order and expect my made to order car end of March begining of April. White with beige interior.

At the end of the day, other than for bragging purposes and possibly if you race, do you really think you can tell the difference between a 5.3 and 5.5 0-60 mph car??

I wish I could have stayed with Lexus, but the car that fits my needs isn't being built yet and there is no definative word on when i will be.

Wow - congrats! So it will be an 08 eh? Very nice.
Old 01-24-07, 10:03 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

no problem. So, I'll assume you are getting a 07, since the new 08's wont be out till later in the year...?
and you're leasing right?
Happy motoring.. It's a great car, you'll be happy. I just have a problem when building a car, I hahve to get everything... my 550 was rediculously expensive because of that. oh well. I can see in the dark... without lights on.

and about the .02 or whatever... no way you can tell a difference. The 450h is only faster b/c of the time it makes up without shifting...
If you got the 550i, you will notice more torqe. More head jerking, but same time in the long run....

I wish you were purchasing... There's alot more you can do and more fun you can have that you can't with a rent(lease).
Old 01-24-07, 10:07 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see in the dark... without lights on.
Jace 007
Old 01-24-07, 10:10 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Congrats! Be sure to ge the iPOD/USB MOST adapter. It is the best iPOD interface I have ever seen for a car.
Old 01-24-07, 10:29 AM
bearsteve
Rookie

Its an 07, and although i am leasing, i am doing so as a manner of financing, the lease has an effective rate of 3.9%, 3 points lower than a purchase finance, so to me, its a purchase with an expensive out in 3 years if i want. I'll take the money i would have used for a down payment and let it earn for me over the next 3 years and be ahead when its time to purchase.

The torque on the test drive was great, although i think i scared the salesman, it was his personal car. The feel and tightness was incredible. Can't compare it to a 450h since, once i saw the trnk, i had to eliminate it from consideration. Boy have cars changed in the last 7 years Its going to be a long 2 months......
Old 01-24-07, 10:45 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

good luck. did you get the SMG transmition or no? I love it... I did.
Old 01-24-07, 10:47 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Hi Jace,

Have you posted up pics of your 550? I'd love to see pics especially of the rear showing the fat tires.
Old 01-24-07, 11:10 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed
Hi Jace,

Have you posted up pics of your 550? I'd love to see pics especially of the rear showing the fat tires.
nope. I haven't ever posted pics of either cars, just when I do the mods... I will though.
Old 01-24-07, 08:20 PM
LexFather

Congrats. Do stick around
Old 01-25-07, 07:15 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

nope. I haven't ever posted pics of either cars, just when I do the mods... I will though.
The 550 looks fantastic without any mods Jace. Come on, post up some pics of it stock, beside the GS!

Those beefy wheels in the back, very little fender-to-wheel gap etc.

It will only take you a couple of mins to take, and post up some pics.
Old 01-25-07, 08:44 AM
bearsteve
Rookie

good luck. did you get the SMG transmition or no? I love it... I did.
Went with the steptronic, the smg is not my driving style.

Is it April yet??

Quick Reply: Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h