GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 03:03 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know your feeling. Waiting is terrible.
But I just saw some pics and specs of the new 550 V8, twin turbo. 400+ hp.
I will be getting that for sure.... well hopefully. If I can afford, and it's a big if, but the new M5, with the 550 hp coming out seems very tempting.... Probably be trading the current for the furure. Well see.
Old 01-25-07, 03:10 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I know somone really wanted to see some close up pics, although these aren't pics of mine, they are they pics for what you requested. so have fun.
Attached Thumbnails Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h-side-front-right-wheel-550i.jpg  

Last edited by Jace7; 01-26-07 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-25-07, 03:11 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Attached Thumbnails Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h-side-front-wheel-550i.jpg  
Old 01-25-07, 03:15 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Attached Thumbnails Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h-back-view-550i.jpg  
Old 01-25-07, 08:07 PM
Shawnmack
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the buy. I leased a 545 and it gave me lots of trouble I didn't have to come out of my pocket but twice IT just cut off in the middle of traffic. also I was washing it listen to radio it just quit working I believe that I got a defect or something.
Old 01-26-07, 07:07 AM
bearsteve
Rookie

Sounds like my first sc400. In real cold weather, the engine would just cut out in mid drive, when my foot was on the accelerator. Lexus could never figure out what was wrong with the car, so i traded up to the newer model sc400.

This horsepower trip the car companies is something else. Every year has the promise of a new car for next year with more horses.
Old 01-26-07, 07:49 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

ya, every car has problems. A friend had an old 545 for only a few months, and was so frustrated with it, he traded it. it had several VANOS issues.
not opening, stupid stuff.
But every car has it's own issues to somone if not cosmetic, it's an actual functioning problem.

Last edited by Jace7; 01-26-07 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-26-07, 08:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

wow those rims are very nice looking. I love the way BMW wheels look out of the factory.
Old 03-13-07, 11:46 AM
bearsteve
Rookie

Some asked for an update when i got the car. Took delivery on my Alpine White 2007 550i Saturday and all i can say is WOW, what a car. I can only compare it to my 99 sc400 and my fathers LS430 since those are the cars i have logged signnificant miles in. This machine is a totally different experience. It is not the right car if you are looking for a smooth ride or to be emursed in luxury, this car is about driving first and second and then luxery and gadgets third. You can really feel the road. The responsiveness is unreal and jumping 8 years in technology is like entering a time warp. The i-drive is not really a problem if you are used to the computer age, although i can see how those who are not computer comfortable will not like it. And the seats, adjustable in 20 ways. My only complaints is more about layout. The middle storage console it set too far back for me and is too small (what is with the compartment in a comparment??) and the idrive wheel could be set a little further up. Minor complaints in the scheme of things. I think i am going to enjoy this car the next 3 years.

If I can ever figure how to host pictures on the web, i will poast a pic or two.

Want to thank everyone in this thread for the information they provided back in January which helped in my decision making. I appreciated the honest opinions.

Steve
Old 03-13-07, 01:19 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by bearsteve
Some asked for an update when i got the car. Took delivery on my Alpine White 2007 550i Saturday and all i can say is WOW, what a car. I can only compare it to my 99 sc400 and my fathers LS430 since those are the cars i have logged signnificant miles in. This machine is a totally different experience. It is not the right car if you are looking for a smooth ride or to be emursed in luxury, this car is about driving first and second and then luxery and gadgets third. You can really feel the road. The responsiveness is unreal and jumping 8 years in technology is like entering a time warp. The i-drive is not really a problem if you are used to the computer age, although i can see how those who are not computer comfortable will not like it. And the seats, adjustable in 20 ways. My only complaints is more about layout. The middle storage console it set too far back for me and is too small (what is with the compartment in a comparment??) and the idrive wheel could be set a little further up. Minor complaints in the scheme of things. I think i am going to enjoy this car the next 3 years.

If I can ever figure how to host pictures on the web, i will poast a pic or two.

Want to thank everyone in this thread for the information they provided back in January which helped in my decision making. I appreciated the honest opinions.

Steve
Congratulations on the purchase!

Posting up pics here is very simple. All you have to do is to upload them to your gallery and then link them here.
Old 03-13-07, 02:42 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Steve
Congrats Steve - make sure we get those pics! Nice job going with the 07 (I'm partial to the non-areo kit cars - and you saved a bundle as well) - little curious about gadgets coming in third on your list however. The car has TONS (plus with the iPOD integration - so sweet). The storage in the car does suck however. If you have a RAZR, make sure you get the RAZR snap-in adapter so you can charge and also use the car's antenna at the same time.

Also, make sure you stick around here - especially on Car Chat. This is a great board.
Old 03-14-07, 03:50 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

The i-drive is not really a problem if you are used to the computer age, although i can see how those who are not computer comfortable will not like it.
Steve
I've been programming and working in IT for the last 20 years (I'm 36 now). I find i-Drive to be a terrible interface implementation given that there are much better options out there (touch screens). The i-Drive is "not really a problem" only when you don't have to use it. It was one of the major reasons for choosing GS450h over the 550i for me. But to each their own...
Old 03-14-07, 07:59 PM
bearsteve
Rookie

Originally Posted by doug_999
Congrats Steve - make sure we get those pics! Nice job going with the 07 (I'm partial to the non-areo kit cars - and you saved a bundle as well) - little curious about gadgets coming in third on your list however. The car has TONS (plus with the iPOD integration - so sweet). The storage in the car does suck however. If you have a RAZR, make sure you get the RAZR snap-in adapter so you can charge and also use the car's antenna at the same time.

Also, make sure you stick around here - especially on Car Chat. This is a great board.
Just preference i guess, i am new to the car so i am in the honeymoon period if you will. The comfortableness of the car with the comfort seats is great. I like the gadgets, but i have no real frame of reference for them and at the end of the day, if gadgets and luxery where my primary concern, I probably would not have gotten the 550i but would have gotten a gs350 instead.
Old 03-15-07, 04:06 AM
arunp
Driver School Candidate

I have a fully loaded 2005 545i and have been a BMW brand loyalist, but i have had too many issues with the cars. This is my second 05 545i, i traded the first one due to problems and was told by BMW that the 2005 june built and later cars had all the issues resolved. Well that is not the case. My car is June 05 built and has lots of issues. At 15k miles BMW had to replace my tires 3 times so far due to cupping issue. I had to get the car aligned 3 times ($250 each time out of pocket) as it starts pulling to the right due to faulty suspension design. In all i have had the car for 15 months now and it has been in the shop for almost 30 + days. I love BMW's and they drive like a dream but i am not sure about their quality and if they have really done enough testing on their new models before launching them. lucky for me my car is leased but i was planning to buy it after the lease expired, but after having so many issues i am not sure it would be a good idea to keep the car after the warranty expires. So far the dealer has billed BMW over $17k for all the repairs.
I have never owned a lexus before and was looking to get an pre owned 06 GS430 and keep it till the GS460 comes out that way i will not have to take a big hit when i trade the car in. It is going to be difficult to give up BMW. I wanted to get some feedback from the GS430 owners; have you had any issues with your car eg, electrical, transmission ( trans slam, slipping gears), active steering malfunction, stalling, software bugs, rattles, aliginment/tires issues, rough idle, nav freeze, dead battery, dynamic suspension malfunction. These are some of the issues i have been having with my Bimmer. Would you keep your GS430 after the warranty expired?Thanks
Old 03-15-07, 10:21 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arunp
I have never owned a lexus before and was looking to get an pre owned 06 GS430 and keep it till the GS460 comes out that way i will not have to take a big hit when i trade the car in. It is going to be difficult to give up BMW. I wanted to get some feedback from the GS430 owners; have you had any issues with your car eg, electrical, transmission ( trans slam, slipping gears), active steering malfunction, stalling, software bugs, rattles, aliginment/tires issues, rough idle, nav freeze, dead battery, dynamic suspension malfunction. These are some of the issues i have been having with my Bimmer. Would you keep your GS430 after the warranty expired?Thanks

One of my closest friends has a BMW 550 and has had no problems to date. Definitely a different car than my GS, I love the way it drives.

My GS has numerous rattles, but I sort of expected that since I got the GS in its first year as a new model. I actually had some transmission issues (the trans slam), but that issue was rectified by my dealership. I believe the problem was software related, and after a quick reprogram, I haven't had a problem since.

The GS is a great car if you want luxury and reliability. However, you might feel it "lacking" in the excitement department, especially coming from a 545. In any event, both are nice cars. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h