GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-07, 12:45 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bearsteve
Just preference i guess, i am new to the car so i am in the honeymoon period if you will. The comfortableness of the car with the comfort seats is great. I like the gadgets, but i have no real frame of reference for them and at the end of the day, if gadgets and luxery where my primary concern, I probably would not have gotten the 550i but would have gotten a gs350 instead.
Hmmm, you need to dig deeper - the BMW has many many tricks
(please, not trying to start a BMW better than Lexus thread here)

Originally Posted by Modeler
I've been programming and working in IT for the last 20 years (I'm 36 now). I find i-Drive to be a terrible interface implementation given that there are much better options out there (touch screens). The i-Drive is "not really a problem" only when you don't have to use it. It was one of the major reasons for choosing GS450h over the 550i for me. But to each their own...
Oh the I-Drive could have been done much better. It is a 1.0 version on a 286 proc However, the concept of being able control all these features while driving with minimial eye time away from the road is a valid one. The touch screen requires you to take your focus off the road and that's a big no no in my book. I noticed it constantly with my GS430. In short, sitting still, the touch screen was easier and quicker, driving the I-Drive is easier and quicker - at least to me.

Originally Posted by arunp
I have a fully loaded 2005 545i and have been a BMW brand loyalist, but i have had too many issues with the cars. This is my second 05 545i, i traded the first one due to problems and was told by BMW that the 2005 june built and later cars had all the issues resolved. Well that is not the case. My car is June 05 built and has lots of issues. At 15k miles BMW had to replace my tires 3 times so far due to cupping issue. I had to get the car aligned 3 times ($250 each time out of pocket) as it starts pulling to the right due to faulty suspension design. In all i have had the car for 15 months now and it has been in the shop for almost 30 + days. I love BMW's and they drive like a dream but i am not sure about their quality and if they have really done enough testing on their new models before launching them. lucky for me my car is leased but i was planning to buy it after the lease expired, but after having so many issues i am not sure it would be a good idea to keep the car after the warranty expires. So far the dealer has billed BMW over $17k for all the repairs.
I have never owned a lexus before and was looking to get an pre owned 06 GS430 and keep it till the GS460 comes out that way i will not have to take a big hit when i trade the car in. It is going to be difficult to give up BMW. I wanted to get some feedback from the GS430 owners; have you had any issues with your car eg, electrical, transmission ( trans slam, slipping gears), active steering malfunction, stalling, software bugs, rattles, aliginment/tires issues, rough idle, nav freeze, dead battery, dynamic suspension malfunction. These are some of the issues i have been having with my Bimmer. Would you keep your GS430 after the warranty expired?Thanks
The 04s and some 05s were just terrible for reliability. Some other guy on here is saying the same stuff as you regarding alignments - however in my research most people say the dealers tell them to get them and then turn around and say they did not need them. The issue is your Dunlops - get rid of those (BTW, BMW will replace them free every time up to 20K - I can send you the service bulletin, but something tells me you already know about it). I have the Bridgestone RFTs and short of riding like a rock, they show no signs of strange wear or noise.

Last edited by doug_999; 03-15-07 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-15-07, 05:25 PM
bearsteve
Rookie

Originally Posted by doug_999
Hmmm, you need to dig deeper - the BMW has many many tricks
(please, not trying to start a BMW better than Lexus thread here)

Oh the I-Drive could have been done much better. It is a 1.0 version on a 286 proc However, the concept of being able control all these features while driving with minimial eye time away from the road is a valid one. The touch screen requires you to take your focus off the road and that's a big no no in my book. I noticed it constantly with my GS430. In short, sitting still, the touch screen was easier and quicker, driving the I-Drive is easier and quicker - at least to me.
Every day I discover neat new features and shortcuts for the i-drive
Old 03-17-07, 10:55 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Because there is no GS460 available yet and to consider, I am going to pull the trigger on a 08 550i. The sport package now comes with the Aerokit which makes it look so much better as well as aggressive.

Link to the new 08 5 series is below:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=194064
Old 03-18-07, 07:33 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

F.Y.I.
It's just been posted recently on all the BMW forums that on German vehicles with iDrive the newest version of the Navi now contains ability to search for POI by name and they also improved response time and graphics. No word yet if this will make it's way into the US models, some say yes starting in April/May 2007, this was one of the major gripes with BMW iDrive, if BMW has finally fixed this with faster response times and search by POI it will make many many BMW owners very happy.
Old 03-18-07, 02:52 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Default BMW and Mercedes interior ergonomics awful

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
... this was one of the major gripes with BMW iDrive ...
I've looked seriously at BMWs and Mercedes over the years, but I could never live with their idiotic central control systems.

Using the touch screen, I can quickly enter in an address in Lexus's nav system, for example. But it is so awkward to do it on the BMW and Mercedes systems that I consider their nav systems almost unusable.

Overall, the interior ergonomics of both of these German manufactures are terrible. On the plus side, their exteriors are great, albeit not worth the signifcant extra cost in my opinion. But even if the cost were the same, I'd go crazy trying to uses their systems.
Old 03-18-07, 05:25 PM
dexlex62
Driver School Candidate

This is a little off topic so bare with me. A few months ago i was looking to purchase a car. I wanted a Lexus but decided to look at BMW, so i went to the BMWUSA web site and searched a 530xi. At that site I did a vehicle comparison with the lexus GS350 (both 2007). there was an option to compare the interior and exterior of both cars. In the picture comparison they showed a 2007 BMW and compared it to the second gen GS. I thought that was odd and dismissed it as a mistake. Fast forward to today, i now own a new GS350 awd and went back to the BMW site to compare it to the 530xi and the Lexus is not listed for comparison. Strange indeed all the other competitors are listed Audi, MB, Accura, Jaguar and volvo. Is this an oversite or maybe BMW believes Lexus is not worthy of a mention? I don't think so, maybe they can't put a check in the advantage colum so they did not include the Lexus for a comparison. Any comments? Go to the site and see for yourself I could be missing something. http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/5/530xiSedan/compare
Old 03-18-07, 08:42 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by steverhode
I've looked seriously at BMWs and Mercedes over the years, but I could never live with their idiotic central control systems.

Using the touch screen, I can quickly enter in an address in Lexus's nav system, for example. But it is so awkward to do it on the BMW and Mercedes systems that I consider their nav systems almost unusable.

Overall, the interior ergonomics of both of these German manufactures are terrible. On the plus side, their exteriors are great, albeit not worth the signifcant extra cost in my opinion. But even if the cost were the same, I'd go crazy trying to uses their systems.
and you have obviously never used one....

While driving, and without taking my focus off the road, I'm able to program my NAV. Can you do that with the Lexus without resorting to a hack? You can't. There is a good reason for that - the fact is, the hand/eye coordination required for using a touch screen requires complete focus and you best not be driving while doing it. I-Drive (while far from perfect) does allow you to do this while driving - because it does not require your complete focus.

Spend a little time with the system - or better yet on some of the forums and you will see that nobody who owns these cars says "gosh, I am going crazy trying to use this system" - instead they say things like "Why do people have such a problem with the I-Drive - I spent an hour with it and now I'm totally familiar with it and can do everything - while driving "
Old 03-18-07, 11:38 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

and you have obviously never used one....

While driving, and without taking my focus off the road, I'm able to program my NAV. Can you do that with the Lexus without resorting to a hack?

Spend a little time with the system - or better yet on some of the forums and you will see that nobody who owns these cars says "gosh, I am going crazy trying to use this system" - instead they say things like "Why do people have such a problem with the I-Drive - I spent an hour with it and now I'm totally familiar with it and can do everything - while driving "
I don't think entering in an address while driving is a good idea, simply because it isn't safe. What I want to do is enter it BEFORE I leave. That is fast and easy with the Lexus system but slow and combersome with BMW and Mercedes system. Most professional auto reviewers have said similar things and it's true.

And the BMWs and Mercedes are overpriced to boot. But that is another subject.
Old 03-19-07, 08:00 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by steverhode
I don't think entering in an address while driving is a good idea, simply because it isn't safe. What I want to do is enter it BEFORE I leave. That is fast and easy with the Lexus system but slow and combersome with BMW and Mercedes system. Most professional auto reviewers have said similar things and it's true.

And the BMWs and Mercedes are overpriced to boot. But that is another subject.
I think you would be amazed at how fast the I-Drive system actually is (in terms of entering the address). The old BMW NAV (pre I-Drive) was impossible to use however.

And remember.... you get what you pay for
Old 03-19-07, 11:06 AM
LexFather

Wink

I think you would be amazed at how fast the I-Drive system actually is (in terms of entering the address). The old BMW NAV (pre I-Drive) was impossible to use however.

And remember.... you get what you pay for
If I recall, BMW has the highest incentives for any luxury brand
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=incentives
"BMW's discounting practice in the U.S. leaves us speechless. Since May 2006, BMW has offered structurally higher incentives compared to its peers and there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel," Frankfurt, Germany-based Dresdner Kleinwort said in a report.

"Incentives stand at an average of $4,125 per vehicle, which is about 60 percent higher compared to Mercedes ($2,573) and Audi ($2,607). Most of these discounts are related to BMW's active move into competitive lease deals," the report said.
Old 03-19-07, 12:36 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If I recall, BMW has the highest incentives for any luxury brand
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=incentives
"BMW's discounting practice in the U.S. leaves us speechless. Since May 2006, BMW has offered structurally higher incentives compared to its peers and there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel," Frankfurt, Germany-based Dresdner Kleinwort said in a report.

"Incentives stand at an average of $4,125 per vehicle, which is about 60 percent higher compared to Mercedes ($2,573) and Audi ($2,607). Most of these discounts are related to BMW's active move into competitive lease deals," the report said.
Yea, too bad Toyota does not separate out Lexus incentives
Old 03-19-07, 02:43 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Yea, too bad Toyota does not separate out Lexus incentives
Actually they do, as exemplified by this february report :

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/038667.html

Comparing all brands, in February Scion spent the least, $78, followed by Lexus at $613 per vehicle sold. At the other end of the spectrum, Cadillac spent the most, $6,064, followed by Mercury at $4,863 per vehicle sold. Relative to their vehicle prices, Mercury and Jeep spent the most, 18.0 percent and 15.2 percent of sticker price, respectively, while Scion and Lexus spent the least at 0.5 percent and 1.4 percent, respectively.
They did not mention Lexus incentives in the article linked in Mike's post probably because it's even lower than Audi & mercedes.

If you look at the montly reports by edmunds/theautochannel on incentives, you will find Scion's incentives reported seperately too.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-19-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-19-07, 04:04 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Actually they do, as exemplified by this february report :

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...01/038667.html

They did not mention Lexus incentives in the article linked in Mike's post probably because it's even lower than Audi & mercedes.

If you look at the montly reports by edmunds/theautochannel on incentives, you will find Scion's incentives reported seperately too.
Very nice...... but no BMW numbers in there.....

Remember, these numbers are estimates by 3rd parties and now you have brought a different 3rd party into the mix. So what does Edmunds think BMWs number is?
Old 03-19-07, 05:31 PM
cmullen
Driver School Candidate

are there any statistics to prove performance between the two cars
0-60, qtr mile
braking
cornering
etc

I have the gs 450H and love it and i think its as strong as my 911 was

except no stick in the gs

any other opinions on same
Old 03-19-07, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by cmullen
are there any statistics to prove performance between the two cars
0-60, qtr mile
braking
cornering
etc

I have the gs 450H and love it and i think its as strong as my 911 was

except no stick in the gs

any other opinions on same
Car and Driver did, the 550 performed very well, so did the 450h, it was slightly behind in performance but had 20% better fuel economy.

We had a thread in here about it.

Quick Reply: Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h