GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Almost went with the BMW 550 instead of 450h

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 07:37 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Hey Doug, what new interior colors for 08 did you refer to? Did you mean leather interiors or something else? I noticed on BMW website for the UK that the 5 series comes in Blue Dakota Leather, I don't think that's available in the US unless it's new for 2008. Funny how diff countries get diff stuff.
Old 03-26-07, 10:31 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler

I thought that 550i drove like a dream! Amazing handling and connection to the road, good engine power and sound. I also liked the 20-way adjustable sport seat. But I thought that on everything else 450h handily beat the BMW. The ergonimics was clearly inferior: from the sun visor that didn't have an extension, to the complete lack of middle-console storage (except for tiny cell phone compartment), to the CD changer in the glove box, to the stupid iDrive and terrible voice recognition.
Couple of error.

1. You can lift the cell phone tray and reveal a sizeable storage compartment.

I-drive is quiet easy to use if you spend time on it.

As far as Voce recognition goes, i will disagree with that as well. BMW VR is better at recognize the command, although there is a delay when pressing the V button. The command must be given after the beep. Which at times can take up to a second after pressing the VR button. It's a littel annoying but even with my acent it still recognize my voice command better than Lexus did.
Old 03-26-07, 10:41 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
I don't think entering in an address while driving is a good idea, simply because it isn't safe. What I want to do is enter it BEFORE I leave. That is fast and easy with the Lexus system but slow and combersome with BMW and Mercedes system. Most professional auto reviewers have said similar things and it's true.

And the BMWs and Mercedes are overpriced to boot. But that is another subject.
Yes, how many of them lived with I-drive on daily basis? None.

I-drive takes time to learn. But if you know how to use windows, you can use I-drive. Lexus navigation screen sits too low (just like mercedes W211 command), which you will have to take your eyes off the road.

On the I-drive you don't have to do that. Simple as that. The Voice entry of destination address on BMW is also excellent. If you don't want the i-drive dial, you can still use voice entry to enter the address while driving.

I-drive has its share of bugs, for example. At times, when i have two calls simultaneous comming in on my treo. The phone would crash (which is caused by my treo) and it would cause my i-drive phone menu to hang and i have to disable and re-enable bluetooth (also need to reboot my phone). BTW, this is a problem caused by treo as my treo would hang each time when two calls comes in at same time.
Old 03-27-07, 10:22 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Hey Doug, what new interior colors for 08 did you refer to? Did you mean leather interiors or something else? I noticed on BMW website for the UK that the 5 series comes in Blue Dakota Leather, I don't think that's available in the US unless it's new for 2008. Funny how diff countries get diff stuff.
The Europeans get such an amazing choice of options, it is not even funny.

Even though we don't get the Blue Leathe (oh damn) - we now get a cream beige, gray, natural brown, and of course, black. I was not a fan of the old beige and the old auburn you either loved or hated...servertech should be pleased with the new colors however.

Here is more info...
http://jon.bimmerfest.com/bulletins/...60brochure.pdf
Old 03-28-07, 12:33 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ServerTech
I've been employed for many years as a Senior Network Engineer and have a degree in Electronic Engineering Technology.
No offense, but term "engineer" in the IT field isn't the same as a professional engineer who applies physical sciences.

And you know very well that an EET degree is not the same as an EE degree.