GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pros and Cons of a GS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-07, 01:08 PM
MidnightGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
I like the gs350. Just got mine. But if you followed my other posts and others here..heres my take:
1) Seat- I cant find a comphortable spot. My back hurts after about 15mins of driving. 95% of all others dont have this issue.
2) HID lighting is yellowish, not the bright white like other cars. My Sienna's HIDs are blueish then turns white after warming up.
3) Useless foglights
4)LED interior lights are dim, but cool as heck. I find that if what you are looking at is out of led light view, you wont be able to see it. Example is the coin pocket on the left hand side of the driver wheel.
5) Power folding mirrors that dont auto fold when you shut off the car.
6) power windows that can't close by remote, but can open by remote. Some say that's a safty feature tho.
7) Trunk light is on the right side. Not enough power to see the whole trunk.
8) main driving light is angled a bit low for most people.
9) Headlight washers going on when you dont want it. ie: At night and you wash your windshield. The headlilght washer will auto turn on. You can disable this by pulling the fuse out.

I'm mentioning things that bother me. Its a great car, dont get me wrong. I can find faults for any of my cars. I'm sure you can find good things about this car. I'm just pointing out minor things that bother people.

haha, I think you found a lot of faults in your car, but some of the things you mentioned are true. I have a '06 GS300 that I bought last June, and my HID's seem to be white completely. Also, for the seats, my back didn't hurt at all, I actually really enjoyed the seats, they were very adjustable and comfortable.

But for me, personally, I wished I got the IS350, to me, its more of a car I would have wanted to get since I was 17 at the time I'm, 18 right now and it seemed more for a younger person but my parents wanted me to get something with a little more room. My first choice was definetely the IS350, but the room in the back was ridiculous, I was so surprised on how cramped it was. Especially with me sitting in the front seat, I'm 6'2 and I would always have to move my seat all the way back, so that basically changed the car from a 5 seater to a three seater (I don't count the middle seat as a seat, since the hump in the back makes it impossible for tall people). That right there was a big deciding factor in either getting the GS or the IS. I do love my GS though, so much fun to drive.
Old 01-26-07, 03:25 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Off topic-
MidnightGS, boy would I love to be 18 and get a $50k car. I think my first car back then was a '88 Honda Civic Si. And before that it was a second hand car a 86 4-door Civic.
I think the IS is too small for you. I sat in it and I'm 5.6, and my head feels like it'll touch the roof.
Old 01-27-07, 07:45 PM
dmz
Rookie

That is what rich parents are for

Originally Posted by starstreak
Off topic-
MidnightGS, boy would I love to be 18 and get a $50k car. I think my first car back then was a '88 Honda Civic Si. And before that it was a second hand car a 86 4-door Civic.
Old 01-27-07, 09:29 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

My first car was a jeep cherokee, then a camry, then the nice ones.....
after I graduated and started making real $$$.
Old 01-28-07, 07:16 AM
SmokyGS350
Driver School Candidate

I went to the dealership with every intention of buying an IS350.

If you ever have any intention of carrying a client in the back, or even 4 tall friends with you for any period of time, forget it.

Pros/Cons for the IS350

Amazingly fast
Very good handling
Stock stereo sounds amazing (I think it sounds so powerful because of the small interior)
'Sporty' look to interior/exterior
Very nice gauge cluster

No backseat to speak of
Even the passenger side front is tight, if you're tall and want to stretch out
Headroom
More on a personal note, I think the 18" wheels on the $45K IS look subpar. I like the wheels on the 07 Infinity G35S sedan much better

Pros/Cons for the GS350

Very Fast (not nearly as quick as the IS, but faster than most high-end 6 cylinder sedans on the market)
Interior/Exterior are much more sophisticated than IS
18" Wheels are beautiful on the GS
Good handling for a bigger car..
Plenty of passenger room
Comfortable on long hauls
Smallish trunk, definitely not good for a family of 4 on vacation.
Stock stereo...If you're coming from the IS, you will be disappointed with the GS stock stereo. It just does not compare. I would STRONGLY suggest the Levinson.

Story break: After I decided the IS wasn't the right car, and decided to go with the GS, the dealership gave me a loaner to drive for a couple of weeks while my color/options car came in. I knew the stock stereo didn't compare to the one I listened to in the IS (stock), but figured 'Eh, it will do'. So when the other car came in, and I took the loaner back, I asked the salesman if I could listen to a GS with Lev. I took a CD that had a lot of dynamic range and listened to it in the Lev car. I thought "Yeah, it's got more power, and the staging was much better, and definitely clearer" But was it worth the extra $2K to get it? So I got back in the original car, and set all the settings the same as in the Lev car (bass,mid and treble). At the same volume level (40-42), it sounded like someone had pushed pillows into the speakers of the Non-Lev car..The difference was that amazing. I had to wait another week for a Lev car to come in...

If you can live with a car that gives you about 80% of the performance of the IS350, and most of your driving is done at the 8/10ths level or less (which for most of us city dwellers, it is), then you'll love the GS.
Old 01-28-07, 03:32 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got to say, I'm not an audiophile, so I never did a side by side ML comparison. I did listen to the ML system and was unable to discern a $2k difference...
Old 01-28-07, 05:10 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
I've got to say, I'm not an audiophile, so I never did a side by side ML comparison. I did listen to the ML system and was unable to discern a $2k difference...

It's okay. I'm sure many feel the same way as you. I was never fond of factory "Premium" sound system, even if it's ML. $2k can get me rims instead
Old 01-30-07, 08:10 PM
audiobot7
Driver School Candidate

Great thread. I'm also in the market for a GS.
Old 01-31-07, 04:43 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
What's trully bizzare for me is that I would NEVER EVER consider spending this kind of money on a home audio system. Yet, $1,700 on the Mark Levinson didn't seem too out of whack. It must just be due to the fact that it's a $1,700 out of $53,000.

Having said that, I wouldn't probably buy the ML system, if I had a choice. Unfortunately, it's not really a choice with GS 450h, almost all of them come with ML. Certainly all of the ones that the dealer was willing to offer me a great price on.
Old 01-31-07, 08:53 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
What's trully bizzare for me is that I would NEVER EVER consider spending this kind of money on a home audio system. Yet, $1,700 on the Mark Levinson didn't seem too out of whack. It must just be due to the fact that it's a $1,700 out of $53,000.
Actually, I think I spent about that (~$2000) just on my home audio - but I had justification to do so: it needed to support the new plasma I had purchased Wife understood that purchase about as well as my GS
Old 01-31-07, 11:10 AM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Modeler

By the way, I ended up with GS 450h for $53K well loaded with Navigation and Mark Levinson.
53k? out the door for 58k of a GS450h !? wow where!?
Old 01-31-07, 11:15 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect the GS 350/450 both will get the same or better gas mileage real world overall than an IS350.

I don't understand how some small cars can get worse mileage than a V8?
Old 01-31-07, 04:08 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsintensive
53k? out the door for 58k of a GS450h !? wow where!?
Actually, the MSRP was $60,200, so I got it under invoice. Bought from Rallye Lexus in Glen Cove, NY (on Long Island).
Old 01-31-07, 04:11 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
I suspect the GS 350/450 both will get the same or better gas mileage real world overall than an IS350.

I don't understand how some small cars can get worse mileage than a V8?
The 450h is a V6 supplemented with an electric motor; GS 350 is a V6. But your second point is still valid: one manufacturer's V8 can get better mileage than another manufacturer's V6. You will not see this within the same manufacturer's lines.
Old 02-01-07, 09:51 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

Actually Modeler I think that MIGHT be untrue!! I remember reading somehwere on this forum that my 2000 GS400 got better gas mileage than the 2000 GS300. When you look it up it's 17/24 for GS400 and 18/24 for GS300 but I think real world driving proved that the 400 got a better MPG. Or maybe I was high lol

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of a GS350