GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pros and Cons of a GS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 11:14 PM
lexusam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros and Cons of a GS350

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask what you might say some pros are about the GS350 and what the cons are. I currently own a IS350, but thinking about trading it in for a GS350. I love the IS but I feel for a $44,000, its not just worth it, and the car is way too small inside. I always wanted the GS and got a great deal offer so which is why I wanted to ask before I go with the trade. For example, Im all about interior, is the interior nice during night time? does it handle well on curves? etc. feedback would be appreciated. thanks!
Old 01-22-07, 08:41 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I'll compare it to my GS. YES the interior is very nice, LED lighting, although dull, very futuristic and nice. All passengers can have their reading lights on and it won't bother you. Very nice... If you get the AAAS it handles very very nice.
I am not sure how it compares to the IS, it's been several months since I laft drove one, but I would definetly get the AAAS.
The GS has more room, and I feel the IS is way to small. To cramped.
If your IS was 44K. I am not sure the base GS cost. If they are close, no hesitation, the GS. If $$$ is an issue, determine what you can afford and base it off that.
Both are great cars. Personally I wouldn't want the IS over the GS>
What options would you get with the GS? That will help me advise you. If no AAAS, I don't think it will be as tight in turns as the IS, but not positive. With the AAAS, no hesitation. get the GS.

helpful?

GOod luck
Old 01-22-07, 09:43 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think AAAS is only an option for GS450h and maybe GS430 (cut down version of it???), but not GS350. Regarding the price, I think you will be in the same ballpark. As an example, the invoice of my GS350AWD w/o NAV and ML was around $42k
Old 01-22-07, 10:56 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

go test drive them both if they are almost the same price. decide which is better for the money....
I personally like the space of a GS, hands down over the IS, but maybe you like a more decked out IS, rather than a somewhat bare GS......
Old 01-22-07, 11:20 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I like the gs350. Just got mine. But if you followed my other posts and others here..heres my take:
1) Seat- I cant find a comphortable spot. My back hurts after about 15mins of driving. 95% of all others dont have this issue.
2) HID lighting is yellowish, not the bright white like other cars. My Sienna's HIDs are blueish then turns white after warming up.
3) Useless foglights
4)LED interior lights are dim, but cool as heck. I find that if what you are looking at is out of led light view, you wont be able to see it. Example is the coin pocket on the left hand side of the driver wheel.
5) Power folding mirrors that dont auto fold when you shut off the car.
6) power windows that can't close by remote, but can open by remote. Some say that's a safty feature tho.
7) Trunk light is on the right side. Not enough power to see the whole trunk.
8) main driving light is angled a bit low for most people.
9) Headlight washers going on when you dont want it. ie: At night and you wash your windshield. The headlilght washer will auto turn on. You can disable this by pulling the fuse out.

I'm mentioning things that bother me. Its a great car, dont get me wrong. I can find faults for any of my cars. I'm sure you can find good things about this car. I'm just pointing out minor things that bother people.
Old 01-22-07, 11:54 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I test drove both and really enjoyed the IS350 for how it handled, however, went with the GS350 in the end. The main reason was room - the IS350 would not have been a very practical choice

I find the GS interior to be nicer than the IS.

I'm really happy with my GS350 and really enjoy getting in and driving anywhere for no particular reason. It has plenty of power and while it is not the IS, I won't find myself driving the car like it was stolen anytime soon so it becomes a moot point.
Old 01-24-07, 05:57 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by ServerTech; 04-06-07 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-24-07, 06:08 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I agree with some cons....
dim interior lighting
dim trunk lighting
headlighst that need to be adjusted up to be proper and safe

i will add a few

totally lame bluetooth functionality
funny throthle response
handling so so (depends on what youre used to)
useless trunk (small)
Rattles
rattles
and did i mention rattles
Old 01-24-07, 08:17 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

When I went to the Lexus dealer for the first time, I really had my eye sat on the IS 350 after reading all the praise in the magazines. But because of the arrangement of demo cars on the lot, the salesman suggested that I first drive the GS 350 AWD. So I did, and liked it for everything except power.

We then went to IS 350 to drive it. I got in, looked around, started to reach for the seatbelt, then got out of the car and told the sales person, "don't bother, I'm not interested in this one." The car was just way too cramped, and the interior screamed "cheap" compared to the GS. There was no reason to even drive the car, if I didn't enjoy just sitting in it.

By the way, I ended up with GS 450h for $53K well loaded with Navigation and Mark Levinson.
Old 01-24-07, 09:27 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Grats on that price if its a '07. I couln't get the dealer below 60k for it, so I ended up with the GS350.
Old 01-24-07, 10:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by twister
I think AAAS is only an option for GS450h and maybe GS430 (cut down version of it???), but not GS350. Regarding the price, I think you will be in the same ballpark. As an example, the invoice of my GS350AWD w/o NAV and ML was around $42k
Correct. AAAS is not available on the GS 350

GS 350 did inherit bigger 4 caliper brakes from GS 430.....GS 300 uses smaller 2 caliper pistons.
Old 01-25-07, 09:43 AM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EXP_Cougar
I test drove both and really enjoyed the IS350 for how it handled, however, went with the GS350 in the end. The main reason was room - the IS350 would not have been a very practical choice

I find the GS interior to be nicer than the IS.

I'm really happy with my GS350 and really enjoy getting in and driving anywhere for no particular reason. It has plenty of power and while it is not the IS, I won't find myself driving the car like it was stolen anytime soon so it becomes a moot point.
I agree with you, the GS in my opinion has one of the nicest interiors out there. I test drove both. Liked the power and handling of the IS350 a lot. The steering was nicely weighted, but devoid of feeling compared to my 3 series bimmer.The interior felt nicer than the bimmer. But the rear room was just too small.
The GS on the other hand, is roomy both front and back. The trunk might be smaller than a 5 series BMW, but the GS seems to have more room in the back. For all purpose, the trunk is big enough for us. If I needed more room I'd get one of those SUV you can knock-down the rear seats and use for for hauling all kinds of things, which we never do.
Old 01-25-07, 09:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
2) HID lighting is yellowish, not the bright white like other cars. My Sienna's HIDs are blueish then turns white after warming up.
Kind of irrelevant to the thread, but new HID (OEM color temperature) bulbs will start out yellow. It takes about 50-100hr before the color shifts to white, like your sienna.
Old 01-25-07, 10:16 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Actually its not irrelevant. He/she asked whats the pro/con of the gs350. Meaning, what do I like or dislike about the car. So the lighting was something less to be desired. True, about the color shift, but it shouldn't be that bad. My Sienna from teh start looked white, and after these years has a tink of blue now. The GS350 is a light yellow. After the color shift, I'm still guessing it'll be more yellowish than white. But I'll find out in about year I guess.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Kind of irrelevant to the thread, but new HID (OEM color temperature) bulbs will start out yellow. It takes about 50-100hr before the color shifts to white, like your sienna.
Old 01-25-07, 01:14 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

sorry, i meant my response is "kind of irrelevent"

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of a GS350