GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

How does traction control work in 3GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 10:40 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How does traction control work in 3GS?

Probably a silly question, but I previously only had an experience with antilock brakes, never a traction control. This morning we finally got snow overnight. OK, nothing even remotely close to CO, maybe an inch or two max, but also got ice under the snow. Going out to work through our townhouse community drive, I decided to push the car to see how it will handle the road since there was no other cars around. Took a corner around clubhouse at about 35-40mph (road is icy), and got that traction control yellow light warning with a blanking red light and beeping. I knew how this turn handled before in my old car with antilock brakes and uncontrollable traction Here, the car did scewed a little from side to side, but not enough to lose control. I didn't even have to apply brakes, just took a foot of gas pedal. I would of never done this with other cars around because the road is narrow and that "screwing" would of tapped another car in the opposite lane. It was just a test to see how the car handles.

So the question is, how does this traction control works? Can anybody share their experience and suggestions on do's and don't while driving in the snow/ice? I don't expect any RWD feedback on this, but from AWD perspective?
Old 01-22-07, 10:54 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do the hack for disabling the Trac control/VSC and you will be able to drift better without it breaking the second you go sideways.

I don't have the AWD, so well, my car is in the garage.

nice feature..... jealous.
Old 01-22-07, 11:18 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought there was a button in the center console next to ECT which you can push and hold down to disable traction control for those ocasions when you are stuck and actually need to spin your wheels?

Regarding "drifting", no thanks I did that in the same spot 4 years ago with my POS Altima SE... and ended up with a nice red paint mark on a rear back fender from the Porsche in the opposite lane

Haven't really got a chance to experience AWD yet, but in a nice dry weather with 70/30 (R/F) powertrain split in AWD it does feel more like RWD when you accelerate. You definitely feel more of a G-force push rather than pull
Old 01-22-07, 11:21 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

there is a btn, I have it too, called "TRAC" that is used for when you need to rock your car out of a spot.....
Once you get to a certain speed, or it recognized movement and slit, it will engage automatically.... Unless you disable it by doing the beak pedal/start putton dance...

Not for actually disabling it completely.
You have to do that break pedal dance to disable it.

When I said drifting. I did'nt actually mean "drifting"..... It a nice thing to be able to do at times. I actually disable and put my GX into 4 lock to disable the TRAC and VSC.
I find I have better feel when it's off completely..

Last edited by Jace7; 01-22-07 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-22-07, 12:21 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tell you guys, this car has amazing VSC system. My AWD handled every turn amazing with little or some fish tailing, but the system will intervene and bring the car back on track without me having to brake. I kept accerating when the VSC kicked in leading to "fun" drifer style driving. People were looking at me when I took these intersection turns in the suburban area. This AWD is the best compared to the RX, Infiniti QX4, and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Those SUV you cant control very well when taking turns and they fishtail and they skid more and take too damn long to stop.

Horray for LExus gS300 AWD! It is even better than the 4 matic since 4 matic is worthless due to their 40/60 split bias.
Old 01-22-07, 01:18 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

is it a 70/30 Front/Rear split for AWD? for lexus?

MB is a 40/60? Front/Rear. ?

Anyone know what audi's split is?
I was with my buddy in his new RS4, and all I can say is IT WAS AMAZING>>>>>>
Old 01-22-07, 08:11 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus adjusts 70/30 to 50/50 when needed. For MB it is 40/60 front/rear. However when I am accelerating from stop in the snow with a heavy foot, the car will push in the back a bit to the side while launching. so I think the Lexus might be a more rear bias than 70/30 to 50/50 front rear split.
Audi is now changed over from 50/50 to 45/55 split at all times.
Old 01-27-07, 06:39 PM
SmokyGS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jace7
there is a btn, I have it too, called "TRAC" that is used for when you need to rock your car out of a spot.....
Once you get to a certain speed, or it recognized movement and slit, it will engage automatically.... Unless you disable it by doing the beak pedal/start putton dance...

Not for actually disabling it completely.
You have to do that break pedal dance to disable it.

When I said drifting. I did'nt actually mean "drifting"..... It a nice thing to be able to do at times. I actually disable and put my GX into 4 lock to disable the TRAC and VSC.
I find I have better feel when it's off completely..

Jace, you can actually completely disable traction control AT ANY SPEED on the 07 GS350.

The button that you speak of; it does indeed turn TRAC off until you hit a certain speed. However, if you PRESS AND HOLD the button for 3 seconds, TRAC AND!! VSC will turn off and not turn back on!!! WOOOT!

First Post!!
Old 01-27-07, 06:58 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Hold it for 3 seconds? Oh! I was wondering why every time I tried turning it off, it came back on after I took the turn.
Old 01-27-07, 07:19 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SmokyGS350
Jace, you can actually completely disable traction control AT ANY SPEED on the 07 GS350.

The button that you speak of; it does indeed turn TRAC off until you hit a certain speed. However, if you PRESS AND HOLD the button for 3 seconds, TRAC AND!! VSC will turn off and not turn back on!!! WOOOT!

First Post!!
WHAT?
so your stating that by holding the button for 3 seconds, it will disable the VSC and the trac permanantly? Till I turn the car off?
So I don't need to do the breakpedal hack to get it off?
Old 01-27-07, 08:07 PM
LexusLst07
Driver School Candidate

First Post!!
Is this possible? If it is then
Old 01-29-07, 07:35 AM
SmokyGS350
Driver School Candidate

So...did you guys get a chance to try it out?
Old 02-02-07, 10:09 PM
speedyg
Rookie

Jace, I don't think it will work for your GS450h (the "pedal dance" to disable traction control that you speak of doesn't work for the lexus hybrids.) It's actually my only real complaint about the car.
Old 02-07-07, 05:43 AM
kaewen
Driver School Candidate

So...did you guys get a chance to try it out?
It worked on my GS300 RWD... but i think i held it more than 3 secs and my car was stationary
Old 02-07-07, 09:20 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I held it for 1 minute, moving and stationary, and it only turned it off while stationary, but always turns off either when it needs traction on acceleration, or always turns on at 10 or 15 mph. no matter what.

Quick Reply: How does traction control work in 3GS?