GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Factory HID lights-lexus and toyota type

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-07, 01:36 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory HID lights-lexus and toyota type

K, I have the GS350 '07. And I also have a Toyota Sienna '04.

The HID in the Sienna driving lights (stock HID) is a white, with a slight blue to it. Not as bad as my 6k HID I'm using in my fogs.

The GS350 driving lights (stock HID) is more yellow than white. No trace of blue except for the cut-off line.

I can't believe the Projector changes the color that bad (In the GS350), and/or the bulbs aren't broken in yet. Its too "normal" yellow than white like a HID.

Do Toyota and Lexus use different color ratings? It's like if my GS was using 4.5k and the sienna was using like a 5k/5.5k if I'm compairing it to my 6k fog lights. Btw, the only review I found on the Sienna says its 4.1k raing, but I dunno if I trust that.

Are the bulbs interchangeable or would I blow up the bulb if I took it out of my sienna and put it in the GS?

Last edited by starstreak; 01-24-07 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-24-07, 01:48 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

if they are the same D4/D6 or whatever the plugs are, you can interchange the bulbs. The buld will fit into any similar connector...
Just like batteries in a flash light, you can take those D batterires out of the light, and put it into another, that uses the same D batteries. No problem.

See if the projector makes a difference. I would check.
But make sure they are the same type bulbs and everything is similar before you attempt, or your whole car will blow up... kidding, just make sure they're the same...
Old 01-24-07, 02:07 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, I would be careful with that. The light intensity is directly related to amount of current: the more you juice it up, the brighter it gets Your stock driving lights have a specifically rated harness, fuse, etc. to support the spec of your current light bulb. That is why all these HID kits come with a new harness, balast, and other stuff. On the other hand, if you can find a bulb that can produce a blueish color and rated the same, it should be fine for a replacement. Anybody knows what these 4.5k, 5k, 6k stand for? Sorry, I'm an engineer, and I need to see datasheets
Old 01-24-07, 02:32 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Sorry, I'm an engineer, and I need to see datasheets
Nice statement.

What do you mean what do they stand for?
Excuse my ignorance with the answer, but if it's not what you mean explain.

The 4000K or 5000K or so on, refers to the Kelvin rating = heat rating, not the light output rating.

For instance, a 12000K = a black light... we know how much light output those put out.

For instance a 4300K = what is the OEM, actually the brightest light output. Closest Kelvin rating to the amount of light the sun puts out...

Is this even close to what you were asking twist?

I'm not only a member but I am also the president
Old 01-24-07, 04:25 PM
kissbang
Pole Position

The Kelvin rating on HID bulbs are for measuring color temperature. Yes, the higher you go from the stock rating, the less light output (lumens).

Actually, the new Lexus HID bulbs are the new mercury-free D4 bulbs which produce the most lumens at 4800K. If you want to change them, you'd have to use D4S bulbs. I don't know what your Sienna uses but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that they are D2 bulbs, which won't work with the D4 ballasts.

I do agree that there is not a hint of blue in them...
Old 01-24-07, 05:26 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twister
Hmm, I would be careful with that. The light intensity is directly related to amount of current: the more you juice it up, the brighter it gets Your stock driving lights have a specifically rated harness, fuse, etc. to support the spec of your current light bulb. That is why all these HID kits come with a new harness, balast, and other stuff. On the other hand, if you can find a bulb that can produce a blueish color and rated the same, it should be fine for a replacement. Anybody knows what these 4.5k, 5k, 6k stand for? Sorry, I'm an engineer, and I need to see datasheets
As mentioned, it's the kelvin temperature scale for light coloration. Here's probably the best one for headlight bulbs specifically

Just a sidenote FYI, xenon HID headlight bulbs actaully only run at 35w vs halogen bulbs that run at 55w.
Old 01-24-07, 05:34 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, a lot of helpful info!!! The reference picture didn't show up, but that Kelvin scale is over at http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/misc_lights.html (bottom of the page).
Old 01-24-07, 07:17 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

OK, so dont pull our the bulb. Damn. Was looking for ward to trying, but if they wont work in the first place, I hate to do useless work.
I thought "D2s" was the type of shield on the bulb? The S has a shield? But mounting for all HID are the same?
Old 01-25-07, 10:35 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Are these the bulbs I'm looking for to replace my stock ones? Btw, these are D2S.
http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=40

Kissbang- You sure about the bulbs being a D4S? I could've sword the bulb said D2s. And damnit, I don't want to take them out again to look. That was hard to pull them out. Its weird how they have the bulb sitting sideways.

Originally Posted by kissbang
Actually, the new Lexus HID bulbs are the new mercury-free D4 bulbs which produce the most lumens at 4800K. If you want to change them, you'd have to use D4S bulbs. I don't know what your Sienna uses but I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that they are D2 bulbs, which won't work with the D4 ballasts.

Last edited by starstreak; 01-25-07 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-25-07, 12:58 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by starstreak
Are these the bulbs I'm looking for to replace my stock ones? Btw, these are D2S.
http://www.xenondepot.com/product.php?product_id=40

Kissbang- You sure about the bulbs being a D4S? I could've sword the bulb said D2s. And damnit, I don't want to take them out again to look. That was hard to pull them out. Its weird how they have the bulb sitting sideways.
Just call your dealer, or better yet, just look in the manual. It will say in ther what your stock bulbs are so you can then know what you need to order.
If you are replacing the aftermarket HID's with new HID's just look to see what you purchased before. Maybe I am over simplifying.
The bulbs are easy to take out... btw... my bulbs are the D4's I believe.
Old 01-25-07, 03:13 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Besides opening them up again, which I found a bit hard to do. Or calling the dealer, its not in the manual. It says to call your dealer.
Old 01-25-07, 04:03 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

not even in the back or anything? it says it in mine.. i know our cars are diff. but it says so. hmm. let me see if I can find it for you.
Old 01-25-07, 08:29 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

My wife took the car to her work today. So I can't pull out the manual. BUT I thought I was reading the bulb type page and all it said was "HID" for driving light and not a bulb type.
That Xenonlight store thats a sponsor for this site, do they give discounts to members?
Old 01-25-07, 09:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

starstreak, i'm going to assume your sienna has HID reflectors instead of HID projectors. If so, the bulb you have in your sienna are D2R. The D2R is exactly the same as D2S, except the notch on the base of the bulb. The D2R is the one that has the shield.

All manufactors uses either 4100k or 4300k for their D2S/R setup. Your GS uses the new D4S system. It'll get whiter in the long run, but they are more yellow when new compared to D2S/R.
Old 01-25-07, 10:59 PM
kaewen
Driver School Candidate

a little note

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...de/default.htm

all you need to know

though the trunk one is wrong in my car.. they gave a platoon bulb in my GS

Quick Reply: Factory HID lights-lexus and toyota type