GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Hate plastic steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 06:49 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jace7
the threading yourself, gave me an idea. I don't know if I can try it on mine, but I might just try.... (but with color threads.. ) pink or red/blue... my preference.
so the "up" shift is on the other side of the wheel? for the index fingers?
the "down" is for the thumb.... ?
exactly. "up" shift is on the other side of the wheel. I use my middle finger though. down is for the thumb.

If you go for wheelskins, then i advise you to measure your steering wheel size. Dont just trust the size on wheelskin website (which may or may not be perfect).
Old 01-27-07, 07:08 PM
SmokyGS350
Driver School Candidate

I didn't think I'd like the Wood wheel, but it's really not bad once you have it. The one thing I really do not like about it is this: sometimes I just need to steer with my left knee. With the wood, its impossible to make slight adjustments with your knee, even with jeans, as it slips on the wood.

Yeah, I know I know..."Keep your hands on the wheel, Stupid!"
Old 01-28-07, 01:11 AM
fighter
Driver School Candidate

I personally like the wood steering wheel. I have had leather before and over time the dirt shows and it ages with cracks. My friend had to replace his leather wheel because of the cracking. He uses a lot of hand santizer on his job and he thinks it might have contributed to it. No problem with this with the current wood setup.
Old 01-28-07, 07:15 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I still have my 2kGS (waiting to see what the 2008 refresh, if there is one, will bring btw), and only a few years in I had some coating remove from the wheel, leaving the rubber-like material underneath. I brought it to the dealer and they used something called "Leather King", which is basically polish/coverup for your leather. But all it really did was make it less noticeable, you could still see where it had worn away, now it was just painted.
My question to those with wood wheels: do rings scratch it rather easily? My mother-in-law's RX is getting pretty scratched up.

Sidenote: on my wife's 01' 330CiC, the catalog had wood wheel options for at least the 5 and 7 series btw.
Old 01-28-07, 09:01 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Still waiting for the samples, but I'm thinking it won't be the thickness as what I am looking for... Maybe it looks nicer, just my preference... I think I might try and stretch my current one, maybe even sew it together......
we'll see.
Old 01-31-07, 04:02 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

LOL. I think we've all experimented with the knee steer technique... But I wouldn't reccommend it though. And definitely don't judge a steering wheel on well you can grip it with your knee.
Old 01-31-07, 10:00 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Count me in with those those that learned to like the wood steering wheel after some time. I cane from a Mercedes with an all leather steering wheel. When I first got the GS I didn't care for the wood wheel, but I like it now. But, the wood steering wheel can get very hot in the summer.
Old 02-01-07, 10:02 AM
LexDriver18
Lead Lap

JACE - you paid $71k for your GS?!?!?!! That seems a little outrageous. Or are you including mods you've done in that price tag?

BTW... I think the wood steering wheel looks exceptional. Especially with the matching wood accents! I don't understand why ANYONE would feel otherwise. But to each his own. My friend just got into a new e350 and his leather steering wheel w/ no wood on it is FUGLY!!
Old 02-01-07, 10:12 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
nevermind. www.wheelskins.com
thanks.
How do they attach to the wheel: thread, glue or what?

I am worried about trying anything permanent since I might hate it and want to take it off. I don't won't to mess up the the wood since I might go back to it.
Old 02-01-07, 10:40 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexDriver18
JACE - you paid $71k for your GS?!?!?!! That seems a little outrageous. Or are you including mods you've done in that price tag?

BTW... I think the wood steering wheel looks exceptional. Especially with the matching wood accents! I don't understand why ANYONE would feel otherwise. But to each his own. My friend just got into a new e350 and his leather steering wheel w/ no wood on it is FUGLY!!
66K sticker. every option. 3M complete = about 500
That's all the mods I've really done that I fatored into that price...
But when you add some tax, and delivery... blah. I figure it should be about 71K.
don't know the exact number.

I also agree the Basic Leather wheels look ugly.
I also think the wood on the wheel, although it's suppose to make it look classy.... I don't like.

I prefer a thicker grippy wheel.
More like the stock BMW's or even the little IS wheel...

Just my preference.
Old 02-01-07, 10:41 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by steverhode

I am worried about trying anything permanent since I might hate it and want to take it off. I don't won't to mess up the the wood since I might go back to it.
I've never tried wheelskins.com yet, the one I have, I will probably keep, b/c it's alot thicker than the wheelskins product.

But it slips over the already wood wheel. nothing permanent.
Old 02-01-07, 11:54 PM
pardo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steverhode

thread. On top of the existing steering wheel cover.

My installation is not permanent.. I can always cut the threads and go back to the original..
Old 02-02-07, 09:56 PM
speedyg
Rookie

The wood on the GS steering wheel looks nice but feels sort of plasticky, is slippery if you hands are sweaty/wet, and if you wear rings I bet those would scratch the wheel.

Wheelskins are excellent. I have the all-black ones. Takes a little time to sew it on but it isn't difficult to do if you have some gloves. Pull on the lacing really tight. The finished skin fits well and makes the wheel feel comfortably thicker. Doesn't feel like there is a cover on, feels like you have a leather wheel.
Old 02-03-07, 09:23 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I put the sample they sent me and it just isn't the fell/thickness I was hoping for. Maybe if I purchased 4 of them and overlapped them, that might be the thickness.
I think I will stick with what I have. perfect for me. maybe I will stich it if I ever get the time... color stiching.... we'll see.
Old 02-04-07, 03:14 PM
Markie1985
Driver School Candidate

I guess its a matter of personal preference but the wood wheel really makes the interior of any car stand out. When I bought my IS i hated the all leather wheel (coming from an Jag X-Type and S-Type which has wooden everything). At the taste of lexus thing i drove the new Benz S550 which had an all leather wheel and everyone i was with agreed that a $80k+ car with no wooden wheel sort of cheapens up the interior. but in the end it comes down to what you like because you will be driving the car.

Quick Reply: Hate plastic steering wheel