GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Um k...I adjusted my HID and I think I messed it up.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-07, 02:13 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Um k...I adjusted my HID and I think I messed it up.

OK, I decided to look at the HID bulbs. It is indeed D2S, while the Sienna is D2. No "s".

Anyways, I decided to mess around with the headlight adjustments. Long story short, I lost count on turns so I used the "red" marked stick to figure out how close I am.
I'm sure my lights are off. While not blinding anybody, my left/right arn't equal level. No matter how much I turn the dial, it doesnt seem to move the lines (light pattern on wall) up or down. And I believe it matters to do this while the car is off or no ammount of turning will help you much. I think...

Also, on the bubble indicator (looking at the low lights) while the car is on, I noticed the drivers side is zeroed, while the passenger side, the bubble is to the right (if standing on the passenger side looking at the bubbles) of the zero. Now I noticed both side bubbles are about the same place. Which is where the bubble is to the "front" of the car, one bubble off from zero.

Crap. Dunno if you guys can figure out what I'm mumbling about. I wonder how much my dealer is gonna charge to re-level my car... It looks ok, but my gut knows its off somehow. now its gonna bother me while I'm drivivng.
Old 01-25-07, 05:37 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

THey come pre-set from the factory.. Why would you adjust them? Were they not properly aligned?
Old 01-25-07, 09:00 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I think they were angled too low. If you were 4 cars infront of me, I wouldnt be able to see you.
Old 01-25-07, 05:05 PM
kaewen
Driver School Candidate

hmmm could it be your Adaptive Front Lighting System messing around with you? When i start my car at night with my lights on auto, I'll usually see my ligts go up.. for a few seconds.. then come on down to their preset level automatically.

its very prominent if you park 0.5m away from a wall and try it..

Old 01-25-07, 05:09 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

There are 2 adjustments for each light. Are you sure you are adjusting the vertical adjustment screw and not the horizontal adjustment screw?
Old 01-25-07, 08:24 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I thougt that too, but i checked the manual, and I'm pretty sure I was touching the up/down. Someone posted a .pdf on how to do the light adjustment but I can't find the post.

I think its the auto-leving that was messing me up when I first tried to adust my lighting. Which is why I turned off the engine and tried to adjust it at that point.
Old 01-26-07, 06:22 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

The normal setting is for the driver side light to point lower than the passenger side light. This is to reduce blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 01-26-07, 11:30 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

That I know. But overall it is lower. My uncle's Acura has it's cutoff line on the bumper of the car that is about 4 car lenghts infront. Mine on the other hand is on the ground about a car length behind that car.
So I tried to re-adjust it.
Old 01-26-07, 12:08 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Hope you got the kinks out..
Old 01-26-07, 12:25 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Just hope you didn't strip the inside of those screws. It happens a lot and then the whole headlight has to be replaced when those teeth inside get striped it is very easy to do. The reason I say that is because you said now when you adjust it notting moves. If you think you did strip it your best bet is go to the dealer and tell them to adjust them. When they tell you that they are striped blame it on them and they will warrenty it.Hope all is well.
Old 01-26-07, 12:58 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Nah, not stripped. It turns. I can even see the red line move. I just dont see any difference.
Also, for those who had replaced the bulb, did you notice the housing (where the bulb goes) moves like its on a spring? not like a mechanical link. weird.
Old 01-27-07, 02:19 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

the headlights were way too low for my liking, we talked about this, see if this thread helps.....the height adjustment screws are way deep in the fender, you can only adjust them with a #2 or 3 phillips that has a 8 inch or so shaft, you sure you got the right set of deep and hard to find screws

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220404
Old 01-27-07, 03:53 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

thanks. I knew there was others, and there was one that had a .pdf but I couldn't find it. I don't remember me using a long philips to do my adjustments....
See your thread, reply #15. I only touched crew A, which didn't need a long screwdriver. And if you look in that clear circle with the clear opening (where the bulb is) you can see a grey rod with a red line on it. Thats the one I was trying to use to adjust my beam.
Old 01-27-07, 04:02 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

you are moving the horizontal if you are not noticing an immediate adjustment (my best guess). I did the same thing when I originally adjusted mine.The horizontal, you can turn several, several, times with no noticable difference. So that's my guess, it's such a slight difference. You need to just go on a dark road with no lights, and make sure the car is horizonal, and adjust them out there. I did. It worked best, then I tweeked them in front of a garage, with my lights aimed on them....
Old 01-27-07, 04:09 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Dman I think you are right. I should readjust it back to the red line (it WAY out of wack) and try and find that "hidden" screw and try it again.
Btw, one complete turn of the screwdriver will be enough for me to see movement?

Quick Reply: Um k...I adjusted my HID and I think I messed it up.