GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

the wire cut hack for DVD.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 04:18 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the wire cut hack for DVD.

For those that have done this. First of all is it hard?
I have done some electrical work before, nothing special, installed amp, certain wires, ex. But am handy in that area for the most part.

So, is it hard to do first of all?

Second of all, how does it effect the NAV? is the nave then choppy? what are the effects of doing the mod, besides being able to see DVD's in motion.
Any negative side effects... even the slightest?

Will any errors come up on the service screen stating you modded this feature, then voiding the warranty?

I really want to do this, just have a few questions. Thanks...

Also, post me the best detailed link if you can for doing the mod. I'm lazy and don't want to search.... I am watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith..
Old 01-27-07, 07:02 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are no negative side effects, and if you do it right then your nav is never confused b/c you connected the VSS properly to the nav computer.

the DVD/BT hack has nothing to do w/ the nav hack. so you have to do that key sequence to override the nav when you need it in motion (unless you are going to try the hardwire switch hack). the DVD/BT hack gets you movies in motion and bluetooth in motion.

i didn't think it was "hard", but i did the same hack in our RX before that. prior to that i had never as much taken a screwdriver to any car, so i was pretty scared. i'm somewhat handy for a woman but i don't know crap about electrical systems. but the clublexus instructions are fantastic and easy to follow. once i finished the job, i wished i had done it sooner.

as for warranty, i suppose if they opened up your center stack area to take a look at the nav unit they will see that you modified it, but there really is no reason to believe anything will go wrong w/ the nav. we've had the hacks in place for a long time and there have been no issues whatsoever.

here's the link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=44
Old 01-27-07, 07:11 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexuslover
there are no negative side effects, and if you do it right then your nav is never confused b/c you connected the VSS properly to the nav computer.

the DVD/BT hack has nothing to do w/ the nav hack. so you have to do that key sequence to override the nav when you need it in motion (unless you are going to try the hardwire switch hack). the DVD/BT hack gets you movies in motion and bluetooth in motion.

i didn't think it was "hard", but i did the same hack in our RX before that. prior to that i had never as much taken a screwdriver to any car, so i was pretty scared. i'm somewhat handy for a woman but i don't know crap about electrical systems. but the clublexus instructions are fantastic and easy to follow. once i finished the job, i wished i had done it sooner.

as for warranty, i suppose if they opened up your center stack area to take a look at the nav unit they will see that you modified it, but there really is no reason to believe anything will go wrong w/ the nav. we've had the hacks in place for a long time and there have been no issues whatsoever.

here's the link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=44
Thanks for the link for the wires, but how do you get there in the first place?
How do you take the dash apart to get to the hack....
thanks.

I've heard some doing a swith or something, to control, activate the override.
I would just like to entertain all possible options before I chose which is best for me.
What the reason for doing what and why?...
Old 01-27-07, 07:56 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

to remove the center nav/head unit: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ove+navigation

the switch enables you to flip a switch in the car to allow the override temporarily while in motion. what it does is disconnect the VSS temporarily so that you can enter your destination. while you are doing this the nav is not connected to the VSS so it's just following the street you're on but will not actually be keeping up. so you need to flip the switch back when you are done entering to get the nav back on track.

the switch is useful if you don't like doing the key sequence software hack. the functionality of both methods are the same, except the software hack does not disconnect the VSS at any time. the switch was more important for older models that could not enter the software hack while in motion (like my 04 RX w/ Gen 3 nav). but with the Gen 4 nav and up you are able to do the software hack in motion to then enter nav destinations.

i suppose if you use nav a lot then the switch is more of a time saver...

the other thing some folks have mentioned about the switch is using the switch to put the nav/BT/dvd back in "factory" mode. so when you keep it off by some nondescript switch, a cop/service tech would not be able to see the override working. i personally don't see this ever happening, but i suppose it's another reason.
Old 01-27-07, 08:01 PM
LexusLst07
Driver School Candidate

Jace,

I believe this is different in the 07' 450h. I have to been hesitant to cut any wires since i have not found enough information on our nav unit as compared to the 350. I believe there is a different wire location as well as different colors on the harness.

If i could find some more info that would help so i dont chop the wrong one, or mess up anything on the 450, i would give it a shot.
Old 01-27-07, 09:26 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

OK. Thanks for the two posts.
NOW, my only question is...
Are the wires in my 450h, the exact same/same color/same location as the one you posted?
If I follow that specifically 100% as shown, will I ever have any problems.........
I just want to make sure mine is the same as the post.
I might build up enough nervs to do it when it warms a bit.
Old 01-27-07, 10:39 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by Jace7
OK. Thanks for the two posts.
NOW, my only question is...
Are the wires in my 450h, the exact same/same color/same location as the one you posted?
If I follow that specifically 100% as shown, will I ever have any problems.........
I just want to make sure mine is the same as the post.
I might build up enough nervs to do it when it warms a bit.
they may not be. you should go to techinfo.lexus.com to get the wiring diagram for your model just to be sure. it's $10 for a 24 hr access, but it's worth the price for peace of mind.

what i did that is helpful is to download two models and compare side by side to make sure the wires you are cutting are the same. for example, at the time i did my RX there were instructions avail on the GX only. so i downloaded the GX diagram and had the RX diagram side by side to make sure the exact wires to cut. if you do the same - get the 06 GS diagram and the 07 GS450h diagram and compare - you should be alright.

the diagram is VERY clear w/ wire colors and pin #s on the harness, so there is no mistake which to cut.
Old 01-28-07, 02:43 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Jace7, the nav hack works perfectly but there is one alteration that you can't avoid. Normally when you push the offhook button on the steering wheel while the vehicle is in motion, the speed dial screen pops up. When the vehicle is not in motion, the regular keypad dialing screen pops up. After the mod, the speed dial screen will not pop up even if you are in motion. Instead, the car will think you are not in motion and will display the regular dialing screen. Basically, you have to push the speed dial button on the screen everytime (if you even use speed dial) regardless of whether the car is moving or not. All other features remain the same.
Old 01-28-07, 06:50 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Jace...not to burst your bubbles or anything... but do you really want to risk taking the unit out and possibly lead to more tick/rattle that you tried so hard to get rid off?
Old 01-28-07, 08:46 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

for this mod? I I wouldn't mind doing it "myself" since I only trust myself perfectly. I would even possibly felt more.
To have DVD in motion.... yes.
I just want to make sure I am starting this process with all the facts and the correct way to proceed.
How long? I mean what is the total time from removing dash to cutting wires to buttoning her back up... how long should this take with somone with "little" wireing experience?
Thanks Robert on that tidbit.
Old 01-28-07, 11:02 AM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Jace7 - For what its worth, I've had my head unit out on three different occasions to (1) perform the DVD hack; (2) perform the Nav hack; and (3) to install my Vaistech SLI unit, and so far no creaks at all from the head unit. I also consider myself a casual do-it-yourselfer and although that first cut on the wires was a little unerving. The job itself wasn't that bad so long as you have the instructions printed and at your finger tips.
Old 01-28-07, 12:31 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sbrown02
Jace7 - For what its worth, I've had my head unit out on three different occasions to (1) perform the DVD hack; (2) perform the Nav hack; and (3) to install my Vaistech SLI unit,.
(1) this lets you watch/start a DVD in motion...???

(2) what's the NAV hack do????

(3) and I understand the purpose of the SLI....
Old 01-28-07, 05:21 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

is there anyone that will do the hack for me if im too scared to do it?
Old 01-29-07, 11:15 AM
sbrown02
Pole Position

(1) Yes. After performing the DVD hack the system will play and display (on the LCD) DVD's anytime you want. A lot of fun for the guests in the car.

(2) The NAV hack allows me to access and use the head unit menu buttons that are normally grey'd out while the car is moving. Like 2thfxr, I installed a switch which when flipped allows my co-pilot to, for example enter a new nav destination while the car is moving.
Old 01-29-07, 11:37 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jace7
for this mod? I I wouldn't mind doing it "myself" since I only trust myself perfectly. I would even possibly felt more.
To have DVD in motion.... yes.
I just want to make sure I am starting this process with all the facts and the correct way to proceed.
How long? I mean what is the total time from removing dash to cutting wires to buttoning her back up... how long should this take with somone with "little" wireing experience?
Thanks Robert on that tidbit.
The first time, it took me about 30-40 minutes because I soldered everything and I had to figure out how long I wanted my wires to make the whole module easily to remove and install but look neat at the same time. The last time I took it apart to put the Vaistech module in, I really went all out and made it look like it was done at the factory by running all of my wires in appropriate length shrink wrap and wrapping the ends with the same sticky mesh fabric tape that the factory uses. That probably took me 20 mins by itself. I guess the answer to your question is. 20-30 minutes to do a hack job, 60+ min to do a nice perfect job.

Quick Reply: the wire cut hack for DVD.