GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

What's up with anti-keyless-ignition bias in reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 12:56 PM
yon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's up with anti-keyless-ignition bias in reviews?

Just saw the NY Times review of the ES-350, and he kvetched about how he didn't really like the keyfob. He went so far as to have a picture of how he stashes the fob in the cassette opening so that "I know where my key is". The is the 2nd review I've seen that dissed the keyless system, whats up with that?

That feature was one of many reasons I upgraded from my 02 ES, but it was a big one. I totally love that feature! I mean, who cares where the key is? The whole point is that it doesn't matter, so long as it's somewhere in your pocket. I am completely reprogrammed now to simply never worry about it. My old routine in the ES was to always pull out the keys and the cell phone when approaching the car, pop the phone in the cradle and then use the key to start the car. I was always judicious in my choice of key rings lest the other keys would dangle against my leg (annoying as hell).

Now it's just walk up, pull the door open, push the button, and I'm off! Doesn't sound like much, but when you've got stuff in your arms and/or are dealing with your three-year-old, it's nice not to have to dig out the keys.

Anyway, it's wierd how I've been seeing these reactions in the auto press, ranging from agnostic to negative.
Old 02-01-07, 01:38 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I don't remember seeing any negative reviewes of this feature. I am totally in love with it right now. I just leave the keys in the jacket pocket when I get into the car.

However, I've been wondering what I will do in the summer. I absolutely hate having keys in my pants pocket. I have a lot of keys, so I never carry it in the pocket. When I'm out shopping, I either carry the keys in my hand, or clip them to a belt loop of my pants. Herein lies the problem: I don't know what I will be doing with the bundle of keys come summer. I tried to stick them into the tiny drop-down compartment near my left knee, but they barely fit there. Putting them in the cupholder is not an option - they will rattle there. Middle console is not a good option either - it's a pain in the *** to get in and out.

So I can see how someone may not like the fact that there's no place to stick the keys, when there is no key slot.
Old 02-01-07, 01:51 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keyless is nice. Don't understand the reviewers issue.

However, it can be hacked quite easily as proven numerous times. In a year or two, those with the first gen 40bit encryption will be stuck. People will have some device made at Radio Shack that can easily open your doors and steal your goodies without breaking a sweat.

I am not sure why the auto makers did not start with 128bit encryption. Maybe fob battery life.
Old 02-01-07, 03:26 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
Keyless is nice. Don't understand the reviewers issue.

However, it can be hacked quite easily as proven numerous times. In a year or two, those with the first gen 40bit encryption will be stuck. People will have some device made at Radio Shack that can easily open your doors and steal your goodies without breaking a sweat.

I am not sure why the auto makers did not start with 128bit encryption. Maybe fob battery life.
How is it different from the regular keyless entry remotes??? Those have been around for decades and I don't hear about thieves running around with any kind of devices opening cars villy-nilly.
Old 02-01-07, 06:16 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bottom line is that these reviewers just don't get it. If they owned the car, they too would start wondering (after a while) how they lived without keyless system! These days I get annoyed when I get into a car that requires me to use a key!
Old 02-02-07, 02:17 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Because some people are just old fashioned.

It's a great feature... just don't go into other people's cars and go "Psssh. You need to put your key in? Weeaaaakkk!"

Last edited by kissbang; 02-02-07 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-02-07, 08:19 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I agree. Wonderful feature. When I actually get into our GX, I always reach for the handle forgetting it won't automatically open, then I get inside, and always reach for the push button, again, forgetting I need the key.
I love the comfort access.
Old 02-02-07, 10:24 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 vote for keyless entry. Can't even imagine how I lived without it Well, I actually can imagine since I do drive my wife's Highlander sometimes. I only have one house and mailbox key and a small remote start fob together w/Lexus fob - always stays in my pocket. Also, a very good point when you have little kids. Its an absolute lifesaver when I pickup my 22-month old from the daycare.

One negative side of keyless entry is that whole remote start issue. Its not offered as a factory option, and only a few selected places willing to do that outside. Even in my case I have to take my car back for them to fix a few thing with remote start. Also, don't forget that other cars like Infiniti (M and G, MB (S series), even Nissan (Altima and Maxima) offer push button start. It seems like a lot of car manufacturers will be switching to that...
Old 02-02-07, 10:33 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

+1 for keyless too. I keep wishing my SLK had this plus Nav. plus seat memory plus.......... On the up side, I can put the top down :-)
Old 02-02-07, 03:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
+1 vote for keyless entry. Can't even imagine how I lived without it Well, I actually can imagine since I do drive my wife's Highlander sometimes. I only have one house and mailbox key and a small remote start fob together w/Lexus fob - always stays in my pocket. Also, a very good point when you have little kids. Its an absolute lifesaver when I pickup my 22-month old from the daycare.

One negative side of keyless entry is that whole remote start issue. Its not offered as a factory option, and only a few selected places willing to do that outside. Even in my case I have to take my car back for them to fix a few thing with remote start. Also, don't forget that other cars like Infiniti (M and G, MB (S series), even Nissan (Altima and Maxima) offer push button start. It seems like a lot of car manufacturers will be switching to that...
i wont buy an new car without it anymore... putting the key in is stone age!
Old 02-02-07, 09:45 PM
speedyg
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
i wont buy an new car without it anymore... putting the key in is stone age!
I totally agree. Seems like the key fob could be made much smaller though. It takes up too much space in my front pocket.
Old 02-02-07, 09:51 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I understand some of the more clever technical thieves now prowl the garages/parking lots at shopping centers and record the transmission from the key fob to the car. They then duplicate the signal and the car is theirs. My loaner for my last scheduled service had the keyless system and I cannot understand why anyone would want such a system. Putting the key into the switch and turning it is a non issue. The key for the RX400h is smaller than the module for the ES350 which is important to me. A lot of people seem to want new technology even if is has no real benefit.
Steve
Old 02-03-07, 03:19 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

You could've said the same about power windows and power locks... and every other "new" technology has come out. "Just crank the window open.. No biggie!"... "Just pull/push the lock pin... No big deal!"... "Just pull the tab to release the foot e-brake... No problem!" There's more but you get the idea.
Old 02-03-07, 05:22 AM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I understand some of the more clever technical thieves now prowl the garages/parking lots at shopping centers and record the transmission from the key fob to the car. They then duplicate the signal and the car is theirs. My loaner for my last scheduled service had the keyless system and I cannot understand why anyone would want such a system. Putting the key into the switch and turning it is a non issue. The key for the RX400h is smaller than the module for the ES350 which is important to me. A lot of people seem to want new technology even if is has no real benefit.
Steve
I think you may be missing the point Steve. With the new keyless system entry you no longer ever have to physically use a key.

Walk to car, car unlocks as you pull door handle, get into car, push button to start car, drive, park the car, get out, close the door, push the lock button on outside handle, leave. I would call that a real benefit or convienece.

As long as the key fob is with you, pocket, purse or breifcase, you never have to think about it.

It doens't get more conviennt than that, unless they could make it auto lock the car as you walk away.

Now with Mercedes, BMW, Nissan and others offering this technology, I'd say it's catching on.

I would have a hard time going back to the old way of using a real key.

Last edited by scottmyers; 02-03-07 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-03-07, 05:48 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a question re keyless. how do you just turn on the ignition without starting the engine?

I never figured that out on my ES350 loaner.

Quick Reply: What's up with anti-keyless-ignition bias in reviews?