GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS3 key fob battery life?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 01:41 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mi330
I replaced one FOB after about 18 mos. Try Radio Shack. I got two for about $5. It took about 5 days to get it by mail after local Radio Shack didn't have battery in stock and they ordered 2 for me and had delivered to the house. Local Lexus dealer wanted $6 each and they had to order them too.
Did you ask if it was covered under the warranty? If so what did they say? I thought this as a BTB warranty other than tires and brake pads??
Old 09-19-07, 04:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whoever said it....
you don't need roadside assistance.......!

pop out the valet key, and open the door. put the fob next to the start button, and go home and change the battery.
Old 11-09-07, 12:18 AM
RufRidn
Pole Position

Just went through this tonight. I tried everything to get the car to start with no luck. Everystore I went to didnt have a battery so I ended up getting a 1620 and its a little loose but it gave the remote power. Gotta order some from radio shack.
Old 11-09-07, 01:43 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheap 1632 battery source

Try searching at jewelry/watch shops for the battery. That's where I got mine. And if the price is right, buy a couple extra![/QUOTE]

FYI to all...

Check with BatteryBob.com

I just bought five CR1632 for about $5 and he pays shipping and ships quick, they're all fresh.

Whit
Old 11-10-07, 05:41 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Battery is covered under warranty. Dealer here said we don’t charge for them anyway. No paper work. Replace it and handed it back.

Oh, to start the car with a dead battery, thought all you had to do is hold the fob up to the starter switch.
Old 11-19-07, 06:58 PM
Georg
Driver School Candidate

Warranty or not ... Since I live 70 miles (round-trip) from my California dealer ... it was cheaper to order them from Florida: BATTERYBOB.COM ! Nice service. Cheap. $6.99 including shipping for a FIVE pack. Ordered after-hours Thursday evening. Arrived today (Monday) ! Highly recommended ... Thanks Bob and WhitBaby !
Old 11-19-07, 07:14 PM
RufRidn
Pole Position

Heres the link from the seller I got mine from. 5.40 shipped for 5 even though I really have no use for the rest, I handed out a couple to friends so they don't go through what I did.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-CR1632-ENERGIZ...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-20-07, 06:41 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by GFC350
I've had my GS3 since April. The other night, I went out to open my car and it wouldnt open. I then was able to open the car with the remote by pushing the button. I attempted to start the car and it said "key not detected". I then had to hold the remote up next to the push button in order for it to start. Ever since then, Ive had intermittent problems with the remote not working. My spare works fine, which leads me to believe that the battery may be running out?? After 9 months?? WOW! Has anyone had to replace their batteries yet? If so, is it easy to do and what kind of battery is needed? Thanks for the help.

http://www.batteriesplus.com/store_l.../state/FL.aspx
Old 01-14-08, 10:29 AM
costanza
Pole Position

BOTH of our fobs' batteries have now died (approx. 2 years old). I thought when the first one died it was just a fluke. And when they died, they DIED! I wasn't able to start the car by holding the fob up to the start button My wife is going to pick up old "snap, crackle & pop" from the dealer today where it is getting the fule line TSB and broken driver's side mirror motor fixed. She'll try to pick up a battery under warranty. I'll let you know what happens. I replaced the first fob's battery with one I bought from the local Toyota dealer for $7! The closest Lexus dealer is about 60 miles away. If these Lexus remotes are going to drain a battery so quickly, why can't they at least use a cheaper/easier to find battery?!!!!!!!

Last edited by costanza; 01-14-08 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-14-08, 01:36 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

People, the Lexus SmartKey fobs are active (as opposed to passive) remotes, meaning they are always searching for your car's smartkey signal. So if your primary remote's battery is fading, chances are your backup remote's battery is soon to follow. I was able to go without changing the remote battery in my 2IS for 18 months, so it sounds like the service life of these batteries are b/w 1.5-2 yrs. To me the remote battery is a non issue in order to have the convenience of the SmartKey system (fob never has to leave your pocket/purse in order to open, lock or start your car)
Old 01-14-08, 05:45 PM
ahearn
Rookie

Originally Posted by CsKWarEd
It's a really sh|tty feeling when the battery in your fob goes dead and your car wont start and you're out in the middle of bfe, and the road side help has no answers but to call a tow truck or find someone to go get the spare.

sorry, had to vent on this topic...

Your fob still works even with a dead battery. Read your manual.
Old 01-14-08, 09:14 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ Not true, it still works with a *weak* battery, but not a completely dead battery. Don't believe me, try taking the battery out and see if it'll start . . .
Old 01-15-08, 10:13 AM
costanza
Pole Position

The dealer GAVE my us 2 new batteries
Old 10-22-10, 10:56 AM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2006
My Spare FOB just died. The led does not light up when the buttons pushed. I suspect battery, but this FOB has not been used but a few times. What a POS. Car and FOB are less than two years old. If the battery is really dead, those are some crappy batteries. China made lol??

Anyway, isn’t the battery covered under the car warranty? I called all so reliable dealer and the person who answered the phone said it was?? If so, why are they charging you for the battery??

Thanks
BTW, my last car was 10years old and battery never died..
Wow, you really went through that hassle to save $5??? Your time, and phone calls probably cost double...
Old 10-22-10, 11:55 AM
BinaryJay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GFC350
I've had my GS3 since April. The other night, I went out to open my car and it wouldnt open. I then was able to open the car with the remote by pushing the button. I attempted to start the car and it said "key not detected". I then had to hold the remote up next to the push button in order for it to start. Ever since then, Ive had intermittent problems with the remote not working. My spare works fine, which leads me to believe that the battery may be running out?? After 9 months?? WOW! Has anyone had to replace their batteries yet? If so, is it easy to do and what kind of battery is needed? Thanks for the help.
The battery never died on your old car because it only used the battery when you pressed a button. The smart fobs are always transmitting, that's how the proximity features work. Big difference. The batteries are so cheap and easy to replace that it's a non-issue.

I think I got a pack of 5 Energizers for $5 or something from eBay.

Quick Reply: GS3 key fob battery life?