GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS3 key fob battery life?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 12:37 PM
GFC350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS3 key fob battery life?

I've had my GS3 since April. The other night, I went out to open my car and it wouldnt open. I then was able to open the car with the remote by pushing the button. I attempted to start the car and it said "key not detected". I then had to hold the remote up next to the push button in order for it to start. Ever since then, Ive had intermittent problems with the remote not working. My spare works fine, which leads me to believe that the battery may be running out?? After 9 months?? WOW! Has anyone had to replace their batteries yet? If so, is it easy to do and what kind of battery is needed? Thanks for the help.
Old 02-02-07, 02:48 PM
*wishlist*
Driver

went through it 2 weeks ago. cr1632 battery. ended up spending $6 at the dealer for it after target, walmart, 2 radio shacks, best buy, and circuit city didn't have it. we bought our gs on october previous year.

very simple change. slide the key out. split the remote open. change. the instructions are in the manual.
Old 02-02-07, 03:17 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we've had our GS for almost 2 years. no sign of battery dying yet...
Old 02-02-07, 04:03 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

not sure the battery life....
I do know that if you do not unlock the car with the remote......
instead you are just opening the handle and the car recognizing your opening with comfor access, this causes the battery life to drop significantly. possibly in half......
just want I've heard. Mine is fine as of now, but I have only had mine for a few months now.
Old 02-02-07, 04:13 PM
Kim250
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I just popped open the remote and will try and look for the CR1632 battery now.....
Old 02-03-07, 04:48 AM
kissbang
Pole Position

Yup, same exact thing started happening to me a while ago. Replaced the battery and everything worked fine again.

I think that even when the battery dies out, the key fob never stops working. The functions just become really crippled.. as some of us have experienced. So no real worries, just an inconvenience.

Hey Jace7, from where did you learn about the smart access draining the battery life faster? Eh.. I guess it's just price you pay for using those features.

Try searching at jewelry/watch shops for the battery. That's where I got mine. And if the price is right, buy a couple extra!
Old 02-03-07, 08:56 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I think I might have actually read it in the manual....

I am not sure really...

I remember reading if you just use the touch feature, rather than pressing unlock and lock, but doing the touch feature it causes the remote to more actively search for the car.... this drains the battery faster than by pressing the unlock/lock.

Doesn't matter to me though. I 95% of the time, just use the touch function... So far no noticeable battery drain.
Old 02-03-07, 09:33 AM
GFC350
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna check online and see if I can order a few just to have them available when they run low. Dont really want to spend $6 bucks from the dealer when they are running for like $2 bucks online everywhere.
Old 07-22-07, 11:26 AM
minnister
Driver

Default How to take the battery out?

Does anyone have pictures or instructions on how to take the battery out?
Old 07-22-07, 12:05 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

try the manual, it is in there, the case just splits apart
Old 07-22-07, 09:27 PM
CsKWarEd
Driver

It's a really sh|tty feeling when the battery in your fob goes dead and your car wont start and you're out in the middle of bfe, and the road side help has no answers but to call a tow truck or find someone to go get the spare.

sorry, had to vent on this topic...

Old 07-23-07, 12:12 AM
HotShotEng
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GFC350
I've had my GS3 since April. The other night, I went out to open my car and it wouldnt open. I then was able to open the car with the remote by pushing the button. I attempted to start the car and it said "key not detected". I then had to hold the remote up next to the push button in order for it to start. Ever since then, Ive had intermittent problems with the remote not working. My spare works fine, which leads me to believe that the battery may be running out?? After 9 months?? WOW! Has anyone had to replace their batteries yet? If so, is it easy to do and what kind of battery is needed? Thanks for the help.
Go to Ebay and look up Item number: 200128103510. This is a five (5) pack of CR1632 batteries for $0.99 + $5.99 shipping. Beats $8 - $12 from the dealerships.
Old 07-24-07, 07:07 PM
minnister
Driver

Default Thanks for the info !!!

=)
Sorry for my ignorance. I should have checked the manual first.
Old 09-19-07, 11:15 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Default FOB dies what ..

My Spare FOB just died. The led does not light up when the buttons pushed. I suspect battery, but this FOB has not been used but a few times. What a POS. Car and FOB are less than two years old. If the battery is really dead, those are some crappy batteries. China made lol??

Anyway, isn’t the battery covered under the car warranty? I called all so reliable dealer and the person who answered the phone said it was?? If so, why are they charging you for the battery??

Thanks
BTW, my last car was 10years old and battery never died..
Old 09-19-07, 01:05 PM
mi330
Driver School Candidate

I replaced one FOB after about 18 mos. Try Radio Shack. I got two for about $5. It took about 5 days to get it by mail after local Radio Shack didn't have battery in stock and they ordered 2 for me and had delivered to the house. Local Lexus dealer wanted $6 each and they had to order them too.

Quick Reply: GS3 key fob battery life?