GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Beware some GS300/350 and IS are starting to leak.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-07, 06:47 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware some GS300/350 and IS are starting to leak.

On the GS and the IS lexus has been seening oil leaks from the front of the engine block rite near the timming chain. The fix is to use that black seal and seal it better for the time being. However lexus is going to come out with something else very soon for a better fix. So just keep an eye out!!!! We have heard rumors that this is why they have stoped production on the GS350 because of this issue and next they are going to do the same for the IS production. I don't think a TSB has been issued but they are aware of the problem and I am sure any of your dealerships have seen it. It is a large problem because it effects both the 250/350 IS models and the GS models 300/350. The problem is ussually the customer doesn't know it's leaking because the cover under the car hides it from dripping on you floor.
Old 02-06-07, 07:27 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

who said they have stopped gs350 production? i have heard no such information....
Old 02-06-07, 07:54 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I have not read about one single oil leak from the new IS. Some people have already put 25K+ miles on them.

Any proof of your statement?
Old 02-06-07, 08:09 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

The production has def halted and that is why there are no GS's around. I don't have proof it's just what I hear from dealer reps who come back to me about problems. Another issue has been the squeeking breaking pads on the IS that is a big problem that they are dealing with.
Old 02-06-07, 08:17 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by purebliss
The production has def halted and that is why there are no GS's around. I don't have proof it's just what I hear from dealer reps who come back to me about problems. Another issue has been the squeeking breaking pads on the IS that is a big problem that they are dealing with.
Squeaky pads on the new IS I can defintely voutch for. Mine started sqeaking after 900 miles. There is a simple but temporary method to get rid of them. Do a 80-0 stop and it should go away.
Old 02-06-07, 08:17 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

according to my info, Lexus is building 384 GS 350s in the month of February for dealers serviced out of the port of Jacksonville:

Dist/Div: U.S.A LEXUS
Jan 2007
PPR Month: FEB 2007 PPR1
Model Year: 2007
Sales Type: Non-Fleet
Order Type: General Prod

Model: 9300 99.2% of GS 430 350 within current group*
GS 430 350 Total: 384

how good are your dealer rep sources?
Old 02-06-07, 09:45 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

ok, this is probably me being paranoid now, but I saw what look like oil on my garage floor but thought it was water as it wa raining from the night before. But I could've sworn it had a rainbow effect. I'll check the ground when I get home today and see if its still there. This was like 4 days ago.
Old 02-06-07, 11:10 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Northeastern region port newark. But keep in mind this was for Dec/Jan so Feb should be okay.

Last edited by purebliss; 02-06-07 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-06-07, 12:09 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Northeastern region port newark. But keep in mind this was for Dec/Jan so Feb should be okay.
Man, you're freaking me out... Ours is a Nov build, and it doesn't even have 300 miles! I'll definitely keep an eye out. With this engine being around for almost 2 years already, one would hope the issue would be resolved.

So, to make sure I'm understanding you right, you're saying that no GS350s were built in Dec and Jan?
Old 02-06-07, 12:44 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

my source has not heard of such and is, in fact, increasing production for the southern area
Old 02-06-07, 02:33 PM
dexlex62
Driver School Candidate

jjboden i can believe what you are saying i live in new york and ordered a gs 350 awd in december. dealer promised deliverly no later than feb 10 decided to call yesterday and was told that i have to wait until middle to end of march. sort of a let down but if they are working on the interior noises and leaks i don't mind waiting the extra weeks. sorry message was for purebliss
Old 02-06-07, 02:37 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that is why Lexus is using the plastic covering over their engines. It is to hide minor oil leaks. We are starting to see this technique with other manufacturers as well.

Sneaky b@st@rds.

Pretty smart though. Hide all the leaks before the Consumer Report survey gets sent.
Old 02-06-07, 03:34 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I highly doubt that the use of plastic engine covers is to hide minor engine leaks. That doesnt make much sense. Why would Lexus want to hide the fact that the engine is leaking oil?? In the end, it would cost Lexus even more money!!

Its used to clean up the engine bay, and possibly make it easier for some people to locate the most frequently used/changed fluids (oil, washer fluid, antifreeze etc). Also acts as an aid in sound deadening.

On the underside, it could be used to protect the engine from flying debris hitting vital parts among many other things.

If this report is true, I hope they find a fix for this. This is the first time I have heard of this problem and of Lexus stopping production of the GS350/IS350. Owners should be checking out there cars for verification.
Old 02-06-07, 08:56 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the heads up, I will be sure to check mine during the next oil change.
Just another reason not to use synthetic oil IMHO.

Old 02-06-07, 11:12 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

We have heard rumors that this is why they have stoped production on the GS350 because of this issue and next they are going to do the same for the IS production.
Sorry, I call BS. Is this a design issue related to the GR engine series? If so, Tacoma trucks (1GR), Camry V6s, ES 350s, RX 350s, (all 2GR, as are GS 350, IS 350, and the IS 250 is the 3GR) would also have "stopped production." Last I checked (oh, about 6 hours ago), we were still making Tacomas.

Quick Reply: Beware some GS300/350 and IS are starting to leak.