GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

RWD vs AWD vs 450h

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 01:49 PM
mattvds
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD vs AWD vs 450h

I'm thinking of trading out my ES for a new GS. However, I havn't decided what veriety of GS i want to get. I was wondering if somone could provide me with some of the pros and cons between the different models.

I know the 450 is faster than the 350, but how much faster, is it worth the extra $ and less trunk space?

Also I'm in california so an AWD would have to be a special order car for me, and I know there is a hump in the drivers seat, but how bad is it? Also how does the AWD affect power/acceleration.. how much better is the handling over it's RWD sibling?
Old 02-09-07, 04:03 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

I have the AWD and the hump doesn't bother me a bit. That said, if I lived in a warm weather climate and thought I'd rarely need AWD, I'd definately go for RWD.

My AWD is awesome in snow (and we've had our fare share this year in KC), but the downside is excessive transmission vibration particulary when its cold and the car is at a stop, and I don't believe it handles as smoothly as the RWD when you drive aggresively.

That's my two cents.
Old 02-09-07, 04:06 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GS 350/450 for me. The Hybrid takes away too much trunk space which rules out road trips. Plus the added fuel savings will take 8 years to make up in additional cost. By then you need new batteries/motors.
Old 02-09-07, 04:26 PM
GeorgePaul
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2006 GS300 AWD. It wasn't a special order. Car handles great, plenty of power, and the slight hump doesn't bother me at all. No regrets.
Old 02-09-07, 08:02 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

450h has AAAS.
450h has CVT
450h = super smooth, no noise.

my vote is if you have the $$$$ get that car.

if you need trunk space get a truck, or the 350.
Old 02-09-07, 08:59 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Being the original starter of "hump" topic, I can reassure you that I already forgot it exists 2-3 weeks of driving AWD and you get used to it quickly. Now, when I drive my wife's Highlander, I feel "weird"

That said, since you are in CA, why bother with AWD? Go with 350 RWD for the best value. If you have extra $$$ and want better performance/handling, go with 450h.
Old 02-10-07, 07:20 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Getting AWD in California is pure waste of money. The slight extra cornering stability would only be noticeable if you always take turns really fast.

As far as the choice between 350 RWD and 450h, it all comes down to two things:

1. Can you afford the 450h? If yes, then
2. Do you really want more power than 350 can offer?

Personally, I was shopping for a V8 car before I came across the 450h. So 350 wasn't even a contender. I did drive it, and found to be underpowered relative to what my goal was. If I was going to replace my 2004 Acura TL, I was going to get V8 power.

450h has way more power, and the CVT transmission is fantastic. I would have bought this car over V8 competitors even if it didn't have better mpg. The fact that it does is just an extra bonus. I'm getting 23 mpg in very spirited mixed suburban driving. I'd be probably getting 13-14 mpg in Infiniti M45 or BMW 550i in the same situation.
Old 02-10-07, 04:06 PM
AmRov
Driver School Candidate

Default First Post

I just put a deposit down on a 450h. I've owned several BMW's (2 540's, an X5) that were V8's. Loved the power. Then I downsided a MINI briefly (WAY fun car, but not practical in heavy traffic). Bought an Infiniti G35 coupe for its looks (well, it's also pretty quick). Am now trading in my 1-year-old coupe for the 450h.

I was blown away by this car! Yes, it's pricey, but if you can swing it, it is sooo worth it! The transmission is soo smooth that it's almost a bit disconcerting. You keep waiting for the "shift lurch," but it never comes! The power is always there -- very much like a V8 (ahh, but without the throaty rumble ...). The bells and whistles almost make it feel like a Bond car. And the Mark Levinson sound system impressed even my audiophile hubby.

I didn't put it through its paces in handling yet, but it felt great on the test drive.

It's ready for me to go get it, I just need to get my coupe ready for the trade-in.

(I will never again buy another Infiniti. Don't get me started on that.)

My hubby has an IS350, so that's what got me thinking about Lexus. I had written them off years ago when I bought my BMW's because the Lexus then was all about luxury and was way too mushy. I'm glad they've changed their tune!

Sorry for the long post... I'm a bit excited, can you tell??
Old 02-10-07, 06:49 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AmRov

(I will never again buy another Infiniti. Don't get me started on that.)
I'd love to hear it, if you don't mind. Before I got smitten by the 450h, I was getting ready to buy the Infiniti M45.
Old 02-11-07, 12:47 PM
AmRov
Driver School Candidate

Default Infiniti experience

I have a 2006 G35 coupe, so my comments are specific to that car. I did not even test drive the M45, because at the time, I was all about the coupe and wasn't considering any sedans.

I've had my coupe for just under a year. I bought it for its cool looks (I do get a lot of compliments). Also, the driver's seat is exceptionally comfy. And the car is very quick. Here's why I'm trading it in:

--Steering linkage became "loose" about 6 months after I bought it. Don't know how close I came to completely losing control and wrecking... scary. Lost confidence in the car after that.

--Back end slides way too easily (and I have every option, including "rear active steer"). It even has slid out while I was driving in a straight line in the rain. Very scary. Makes me feel unsafe in this car. Others have reported similar experiences on Edmunds.com.

--Down-shifting during even moderate acceleration is too hard. Kind of lurches forward. Lexus, by contrast, is so smooth. (And the 450 hybrid, of course, has no shifting, so zero lurching.)

--Interior is made of cheap plastic -- unacceptable for a $40K car. I can scratch the door molding with my fingernails. (Lexus has a rubberized molding that I cannot scratch with my fingernails; tried in hubby's car --nothing.) My seatbelt left a huge banged-up area on the plastic molding on the driver's door (because it's a coupe, the seatbelt reaches from far behind the seat, and when it is released, it easily scratches the door).

--Passenger seat is not as adjustable as the driver seat-- no upward adjustments. I like to sit up high, and when I let hubby drive, I feel like I'm almost sitting on the floor in the passenger seat.

--Nav system is VERY difficult to use with its shift-**** entry mode. No touch screen -- unlike the Lexus, which is touch-screen and much more user-friendly.

--Radio display has very limited ability to display information like artist, song title, etc. This is irritating when listening to XM channels, which provide all of that information, but I can barely get it. Lexus has a nice screen that displays all of this info.

Another reason I'm trading this in has nothing to do with "defects"-- I need a sedan because the coupe is too much of a pain for taking the kids to school (have to get out to let them out, etc.).

Overall, the Infiniti is just not in the same league as a Lexus. Not as good of fit and finish, and I don't think it's as safe (the coupe, anyway). Sure, the Infiniti is less expensive, so perhaps the adage "you get what you pay for" applies. Still, having shelled out $40K for the coupe, I don't think I should have had these troubles.

Hope this was helpful to you...
Old 02-12-07, 02:08 PM
mattvds
Rookie

I test drove the 450h yesterday, and honestly I don't think I can live with a trunk that size. You can't even fit a fullsized suitcase in it. Also, the battery charging makes the car feel weird when you are coasting. I guess I would get used to that tho. Unfortunetly, it was raining during the testdrive (and the car had summer tires), so I couldn't really test out the acceleration.

I want an AWD so that I can take the car to the snow 3-4 times a year. So it's not really a must have, but the improved handling would also help alot in the rain. My dealership has no GS350's AWD or RWD, so either way it's going to be a special order.
Old 02-12-07, 02:14 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattvds
I test drove the 450h yesterday, and honestly I don't think I can live with a trunk that size. You can't even fit a fullsized suitcase in it. Also, the battery charging makes the car feel weird when you are coasting. I guess I would get used to that tho. Unfortunetly, it was raining during the testdrive (and the car had summer tires), so I couldn't really test out the acceleration.

I want an AWD so that I can take the car to the snow 3-4 times a year. So it's not really a must have, but the improved handling would also help alot in the rain. My dealership has no GS350's AWD or RWD, so either way it's going to be a special order.
You might consider the RX400h. AWD, great mileage, and lots of room.
Old 02-12-07, 02:23 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I bet you would appreicate the AAAS over the AWD especially since you will only need the AWD 4 times a year. The AAAS you'll admire every day.
Old 02-12-07, 02:37 PM
mattvds
Rookie

I'm somewhat confused. Isn't AAAS just air suspension. I can see how that would improve handling around turns, but how does it help you in the snow/rain? The car I was driving didn't really seem to handle very well with all that water on the road. Then again maybe it didn't have AAAS, what does it appear as on the sticker?
Old 02-12-07, 02:38 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AmRov
My seatbelt left a huge banged-up area on the plastic molding on the driver's door (because it's a coupe, the seatbelt reaches from far behind the seat, and when it is released, it easily scratches the door).
This can happen on the GS too. Just take a look over on the used lot .
When the service guys work on cars they seem to find every way of damaging the moldings from jamming the seatbelt or with boots.

I agree about the plastic. That moved me to the Lexus lot. Are you getting the car in Huston or DFW?

Quick Reply: RWD vs AWD vs 450h