GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

15k service worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 08:35 AM
stoshiro2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15k service worth it?

Have a 2006 GS 300 and finally hit 15k miles. I got a quote form a local dealer for about $389.

Is this worth it? Or should I just do a normal oil change and tire replacement?

Thanks
Old 02-16-07, 08:46 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

honestly I will probably take my car to the lexus dealer when it's time for my 15K checkup.

They check brakes, which yes are probably fine, but still, I drive a 65K+ car, I want somone certified to check it. They have the proper equip.......they did build the car..

You decide for yourself if it's worth it.
For me, it is.....
Old 02-16-07, 09:31 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

NO, I will not let them touch my car anymore. DIY, look at the tires, brakes and joints and you are done. Rotate your own tires or have discount do it. You actually think they do anything anyway. Slim chance.
Old 02-16-07, 09:38 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

It's a waste of money, in my opinion. On Lexus or Acura I would not pay anyone to "check" things until the car has at least 50,000 miles on it. These checks are useless.
Old 02-16-07, 10:16 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

One reason to take your car to a Lexus dealer while it is under warranty is to make sure that all relevent TSIBs are applied. For example, there are several TSIBs to fix squeeks and rattles in the 06 GS. Work done under TSIBs is at no cost while the car is under warranty. I've had a buttload of free work done under TSIBs on my two LS400s over the years during the original warranty period. I know people today who have Lexus cars that did not have TSIBs applied while the cars were under warranty -- they are now faced with living with problems or having expensive repairs at their own expense.
Old 02-16-07, 10:39 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Every penny is worth it to me...PEACE OF MINE..... plus dealership gave to me in WRITING, yes IN WRITING that they are are going to give me a 30K service for FREE even though I have only 3,000 miles on my ride...PLUS....PLUS...I get a new set of Mich's Pilots Sports A/S when I need them...even though the tires are new brand new.....this dealership went out of their way to make a VALUABLE LEXUS CLIENT!
Old 02-16-07, 10:42 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

and I am looking at all the TSIB's for my 07 GS350 and 04 GX470 right now...do it under factory warranty....you will be happy that you did in the end.
Old 02-16-07, 10:48 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stoshiro2
Have a 2006 GS 300 and finally hit 15k miles. I got a quote form a local dealer for about $389.

Is this worth it? Or should I just do a normal oil change and tire replacement?

Thanks
I always get ALL of my service done at the dealer and at ALL of the major mileage numbers.

I've long since lost track of all of the free services they've given me when they felt something broken too soon or had some problem the car shouldn't have had. And, even if they had not be so nice to me, I'd still take it to the dealer for the peace of mind.

For the record I've got a 98 GS300 that I bought as soon as the second generation GSs came out in late 1997. It's been a great car, but I'll be trading it in later this year for a GS350 (unless I get an unexpected good deal on a GS450h).
Old 02-16-07, 10:50 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LVLEXUS
Every penny is worth it to me...PEACE OF MINE..... plus dealership gave to me in WRITING, yes IN WRITING that they are are going to give me a 30K service for FREE even though I have only 3,000 miles on my ride...PLUS....PLUS...I get a new set of Mich's Pilots Sports A/S when I need them...even though the tires are new brand new.....this dealership went out of their way to make a VALUABLE LEXUS CLIENT!
Why are they doing this? Did they screw up a previous service?
Old 02-16-07, 10:56 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Not at all....I have homes in CA and NV and decided to buy one for the houses and I had to wait 3 weeks for tires and just told the GM that was wrong and not even a phone call....just thought it was wrong and then they come and offer this to me while I was getting the car washed. GREAT SERVICE INDEED! Plus they filled the tank again! No charge.....
Old 02-16-07, 11:00 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LVLEXUS
Not at all....I have homes in CA and NV and decided to buy one for the houses and I had to wait 3 weeks for tires and just told the GM that was wrong and not even a phone call....just thought it was wrong and then they come and offer this to me while I was getting the car washed. GREAT SERVICE INDEED! Plus they filled the tank again! No charge.....
Nice justure and seems to be above the norm. I got new tires because of a big foo bar on their part. I just do not have any luck with their service. Great Smile and they hand you a coke, but they alway manage to mess something up.

A note on th TSBs, not all those are worth having done. Second, you have to ask and have the problem for them to be done in most cases.
Old 02-16-07, 11:02 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, for the 15k, I just changed the oil (to synthetic) and rotated the tires myself. That's pretty much all they do for 15k. However, for the major ones like 30k, 60k, etc, I'll be taking it to the dealer. I saved myself $350 doing this service myself.
Old 02-16-07, 11:04 AM
rx4sc
Rookie

I take my gs300 to a Toyota Dealer, half the cost...
Old 02-16-07, 11:25 AM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rx4sc
I take my gs300 to a Toyota Dealer, half the cost...
Just curious, but if Toyota does the service, does the database Lexus keeps on service get updated to show the service was done? I know that's a nice feature to boot resale value when someone questions the care of the car.

Thanks
Old 02-16-07, 12:03 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I'll take it to the Lexus dealer when it's time for me too. When I was younger, I did pretty much everything myself. Now just old and lazy and rather pay someone else to do the job. And, I will not let jiffy lube do the work. So, back to the dealership for the service. And, I get excellent service at my dealer. No complaint here.

Like Jace said, "you decide for yourself if it's worth it." And for me, it definitely is!!

Quick Reply: 15k service worth it?