GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 vs. LS460

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-07, 10:19 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 vs. LS460

In the LS460 forum there is a discussion of buying a GS350 vs. an LS460. Of course, most of the people there are owners of LS460s so, if they looked a GS350 for whatever reason, they choose an LS460.

What I am curious about from the GS350 owners perspective is, if you considered an LS460, why did you decide to go with a GS350 instead.

Or put differently, what are the pros and cons of a G350 vs. an LS 460 from a GS owners viewpoint? (I'm a 98 GS300 owner who'll be buying a new Lexus later this year and am trying to decide on which one to choose.) Thanks!
Old 02-17-07, 10:30 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

The LS460 is more luxurious than the GS...

I drove both and personally I'll compare the 450h because of the AAAS to the LS460.

The GS450h is much better in cornering than the new LS460.

I do like the roomier feel in the LS, but for me I feel it's kind of boaty.

A little to big feel for me, slow with corners and more of driver car, than a driving car.

Both are great cars, what are your needs really makes the deciding factors when purchasing.

I considered the LS at one time compared to my current 450h. Obviously I made the better choice in terms of what I want from a car.
Old 02-17-07, 10:51 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree,its all about what you want and how you drive.Personally,I think the LS460 is a little boring to look at. I like the more sporting look of GS line of cars. I will probably be looking to purchase the GS460 in its second model year if all goes right.
Old 02-17-07, 01:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These kind of questions are weird. Do people actually take the advise or do they already have their minds made up and want justification for their choice.

If money was not an issue, I'd go with the LS. I think when possible, always get the best model of a brand. I belive the LS can be made a little more sporty just by changing the wheels.
The GS is quite big also. Mine feels more sporty after slapping on the 19's. Neither are sport cars though so let's leave that out of it. So, comparing car for car the LS is the best Lexus offers. if price doesn't matter, get the best.
Old 02-17-07, 01:33 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by reggiek
These kind of questions are weird. Do people actually take the advise or do they already have their minds made up and want justification for their choice.
Actually, I think the only reason to go to these forum is for advice. If you already know the answer to a question, don't go here.

I do value other people's advice in that they may point out things to think about that I might have not considered.
Old 02-17-07, 01:37 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

To me, they are two very different cars for different purposes. The IS and GS are meant for a sportier steering feel and better handling. The ES and LS are meant to provide a comfortable, quiet ride that is much softer.

My ES is going back to Lexus and I tried to move into the GS instead of the LS for cost reasons. But after a few drives, it will have to be an LS if I stick with Lexus.
Old 02-17-07, 01:50 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

If money was not an issue, I'd go with the LS. I think when possible, always get the best model of a brand. I belive the LS can be made a little more sporty just by changing the wheels.
The GS is quite big also. Mine feels more sporty after slapping on the 19's. Neither are sport cars though so let's leave that out of it. So, comparing car for car the LS is the best Lexus offers. if price doesn't matter, get the best.
Actually the LS doesn't have the active sway bars, AAAS, so actually the GS450h, is the best in cornering over any Lexus car.

Just because something cost more $$ doesn't mean it is the best. In my mind the GS is the best, (in my mind) that's why I purchased it.

The new LS does have better technology than my current 07 450h model, but the new GS 460 will have the same, then if they are both equal in technology... I would still buy the GS. It's all about what you want in a car. What makes you think the LS is the best?

If you look at a M5, and a 7 series BMW, are you saying that just because the M is more $$ than it's better than the 7 series? hmmm interesting. I guess we differ on what makes a model the best. How much you spend on a car is irrelavant to making it the best or the worst.
just my thoughts.
not attacking just sharing my thoughts.

The Ls is best for comfort/quietness.
The Gs is best for sports/comfort/quietness combined.
what is more important to you makes the difference which you think is better.

Last edited by Jace7; 02-17-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-17-07, 02:15 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I thought the LS was substantially quieter than the GS. Obviously, there is a lot more room for passengers and cargo even in the standard wheelbase LS than the GS. In fact, there is more cargo room in the ES compared to the GS and the ES feels more spacious for passengers as well. It really depends what you are looking for. If quiet and comfort are more important, then choose the LS. If sportiness is more important, then choose the GS.
Old 02-17-07, 05:14 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jace7
Actually the LS doesn't have the active sway bars, AAAS, so actually the GS450h, is the best in cornering over any Lexus car.

Just because something cost more $$ doesn't mean it is the best. In my mind the GS is the best, (in my mind) that's why I purchased it.

The new LS does have better technology than my current 07 450h model, but the new GS 460 will have the same, then if they are both equal in technology... I would still buy the GS. It's all about what you want in a car. What makes you think the LS is the best?

If you look at a M5, and a 7 series BMW, are you saying that just because the M is more $$ than it's better than the 7 series? hmmm interesting. I guess we differ on what makes a model the best. How much you spend on a car is irrelavant to making it the best or the worst.
just my thoughts.
not attacking just sharing my thoughts.

The Ls is best for comfort/quietness.
The Gs is best for sports/comfort/quietness combined.
what is more important to you makes the difference which you think is better.
I don't really believe the LS is the best Lexus. I was just trying to stir up the thread. The best Lexus is the one that fits you best. I like a sporty handling car with some power that is sleek and some luxury. Only one Lexus matches all of those criteria, the SC400 that came with 290hp. It is my perfect car.
Old 02-17-07, 09:41 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

If I had money to burn I'd get both.
Old 02-17-07, 10:30 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I thought the LS was substantially quieter than the GS. Obviously, there is a lot more room for passengers and cargo even in the standard wheelbase LS than the GS. In fact, there is more cargo room in the ES compared to the GS and the ES feels more spacious for passengers as well. It really depends what you are looking for. If quiet and comfort are more important, then choose the LS. If sportiness is more important, then choose the GS.
For my purpose, I love gadgetry most of all -- so long as it's effective, most nav systems, for example, are so much worse than Lexus's that they're not even useful. So one reason to go for an LS would be for better gadgets than the GS. On the other hand, what I'm NOT interested in are: 1) auto parking, 2) more rear passenger room, or 3) more trunk space. 90+% of the time I ride alone. 5% of the time is with my wife and another 5% with someone in the back. Usually we take my wife's van if we have multiple passengers or cargo/luggage.

Besides great gadgets worth having, I also value engine power, a ride that's VERY smooth (but I hate boat-like ride), and an impressive looking car and with a great color (the GS 350 has an impressive red, my favorite color, but I'm not sure I like the LS 460's red). Etc.
Old 02-18-07, 12:08 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I don't really believe the LS is the best Lexus. I was just trying to stir up the thread. The best Lexus is the one that fits you best. I like a sporty handling car with some power that is sleek and some luxury. Only one Lexus matches all of those criteria, the SC400 that came with 290hp. It is my perfect car.
Old 02-20-07, 09:38 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you compare a boat to a jet ski? These two cars are in the different league and people buying either car already have their agendas in mind. This is a very subjective comparison after all.