GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Hmmm ... Snow on my GS ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 07:41 AM
flunkie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hmmm ... Snow on my GS ?

Thank God my GS 350 has not come in yet ... My garage is full of crap so my GS will be parked outside at the mercy of the weather. It would have killed me to see my brand new 50K car covered with snow already ! How does the paint hold up to the elements on the lexus ? I was thinking of getting a car cover but my wife and kids think it is to geeky and refuse to let me buy one. They are already laughing at me for joining club Lexus (ha) !
Old 02-18-07, 08:09 AM
LVLEXUS
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A suggestion and only a suggestion.....You should of cleaned out the garage first...that is minor......

Car cover...nothing wrong with them..use them on all my L's.

If the wife and kids yhink that is geeky.....open the garage ..clean it out...park the L in it, close the garage door, then have the wife and kids stand out in the snow. That should resolve the issue.
Old 02-18-07, 11:49 AM
flunkie
Rookie

Lexus GS 350 AWD ... 50K ... Wife and Kids ... Priceless !
Old 02-18-07, 12:05 PM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

I'd say garage it, or buy the cover. Even though my car is garage kept, it was sooo dirty I broke down yesterday and took it to the car wash. I could not leave that filth and salt on my car! Of course, the minute I left the car wash, every $#%@! is his big filthy Hummer or F350 kept sending tsunami- type waves of melted black snow back at me.
Old 02-18-07, 08:59 PM
MikeOO
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LVLEXUS
A suggestion and only a suggestion.....You should of cleaned out the garage first...that is minor......

Car cover...nothing wrong with them..use them on all my L's.

If the wife and kids yhink that is geeky.....open the garage ..clean it out...park the L in it, close the garage door, then have the wife and kids stand out in the snow. That should resolve the issue.
Yeah really. Throw the junk in the garage out and use what it is intended for, the car.
Old 02-18-07, 09:12 PM
flunkie
Rookie

Ha ... Easier said then done !
Old 02-18-07, 09:16 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flunkie
Thank God my GS 350 has not come in yet ... My garage is full of crap so my GS will be parked outside at the mercy of the weather. It would have killed me to see my brand new 50K car covered with snow already ! How does the paint hold up to the elements on the lexus ? I was thinking of getting a car cover but my wife and kids think it is to geeky and refuse to let me buy one. They are already laughing at me for joining club Lexus (ha) !
First of all welcome- in time clublexus will help save you money in DIYs and problems associated with your Lexus- yes i know its hard to believe Lexus sometimes has problems- not to mention friendship- it is probably in your best intrest to get a car cover(cheap)- but you could always get a carport, depending on your space and budget- http://www.sheltersofamerica.com/pro...ctid=296&id=11
your Lexus will stand-up to alot of abuse- but over time the sun, salt, sand, ect. ect. will take its toll on any car- so I say do what you can afford and if you are already worried about your lexus outside- get a cover - and you might as well get use to your family calling you a geek -
Old 02-19-07, 10:32 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flunkie
How does the paint hold up to the elements on the lexus?
Don't know how it was by where you are in Jersey, but that ice storm and melt/freeze cycle for three days left my car with a nice "shiny" ice shell When this crap started to melt and ice began to slide down as you drive, I got a few minor scratches on the roof. I'm sure I can buff those out, but it also shows how soft is the paint. So, you gotta go easy with cleaning the snow off the top. Usually snow brushes are rough.
Old 02-22-07, 03:55 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you cannot garage your car, the next best thing is a car cover. Also, always ensure that your car is protected with a coat of wax.
Old 02-25-07, 01:58 PM
flunkie
Rookie

Picking up my GS 350 AWD from the dealer tomorrow here in NJ and guess what ... It's supposed to snow (HA). To all you Car Cover guys, any suggestion on a good car cover, where to get it and how much do they cost.

Also any suggestions on a good snow cleaning brush that will not scratch the paint. Went to strauss Auto parts todays looking for a brush but did not see anything that claimed or guaranteed not to leave brush marks or scratch the paint.
Old 02-25-07, 08:45 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Good luck, flunkie!!! You know what they say, rain (or snow ) is usually for a good luck Right now we got just a little bit of wet snow down by us.

BTW, if you find a good snow brush, let us know. I went through a bunch, everything is too rough...
Old 02-26-07, 10:08 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

With a 4 car garage, 5 cars, my GS lives outside. I wash it every week and can't imagine having any issues. Keep a good coat of wax on it and wax it more than you would a garaged car and you should be fine. Unless you have a BLACK GS! Then I offer my condolences my friend.

Twister, have you looked into a boar's hair brush? They are supposed to be gentle enough to use on a car's finish without scratching. Check out griotsgarage.com, they carry one.
Old 02-26-07, 10:36 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Robert, just checked that brush. Its for washing/cleaning the car, not for snow removal. With all the wet snow and ice, I don't think this boar's hair will stand a chance! Of course, you guys on West Coast don't have to worry about that

But, with your GS being outside?!? You deserve to get son-in-law award Not only you bought ES350 for your mother-in-law, you also letting her park inside while keeping your GS350 outside? Wow!!! But than, she will probably need to keep that tranny warm
Old 02-26-07, 03:09 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

No award necessary, it isn't a matter of choice....
Old 02-26-07, 05:47 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I love black cars and this is my 3rd one already. Sure, it's a pain in the neck to keep it clean but it's all worth it! There is no way I am leaving the baby sitting outside. I always have a good coat of Zaino in late fall, and another coat after the snow season. (Even zaino the wheels!) As to a good snow brush, I haven't found one yet. Zaino will take care those brush marks, if any.

BTW, be careful using the ice scraper on the windshield! I'd use a windshield cover instead. Our $1,100 windshield chips and scratches easily!!

Quick Reply: Hmmm ... Snow on my GS ?