GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS/IS Oil leak TSB

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 05:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by purebliss
My question is does anyone with a GS even have this problem in this forum. FOr example in the ES and IS forum there are a few memebers who had this problem. Any GS memebers with it???? I don't think it's that common reasoning being look how long it took them to release a TSB the VIn number range is bascially the whole production of the GS300. So it must have took a long time for this to surface at all. Also think of it this way that TSB effects roughly 28,000 cars and this is not including the ES which has this problemm also. My point is thats a lot of cars and for us just to see a few then this problem isn't that big. FOr example look at the ES tranny problem you saw so many members with this problem. I think if this oil leak was wide spread it would appear a lot more. I don't think 1 GS memeber on this forum ever reported and oil leak like this. I know it does exist on the GS because thats how I first heard of this problem. But even on the IS board there is only about 2 memebers with this problem. Want I am saying is there is no need to worry and if there was a reason to worry they would have issued the TSB a long time ago and not 28,000 cars later.
We can't say if the ES tranny is a huge problem. Looking at the poll they put up, I counted 9 people unhappy with the tranny. They are just very, very vocal about it.
Not saying there ISN'T a problem.

Lexus also might have a TSB as a PREVENTIVE measure. A lot of them, you don't even see/know there is a problem and there might not be one. If you do have it, the TSB is there to reference on what steps to take.
Lexus has TSBs EVERY SINGLE year. Every car company does. Some people have this UNREALISTIC expectation that Lexus=perfect.
No, just pursing it.
Old 02-21-07, 08:52 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it just me or do a couple of people on this board owe Purebliss and apology?
Old 02-21-07, 09:52 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch. The production date on my car is Aug 05 (definitely pre production
change VIN). I've taken it in for 3 oil changes and either there is no
problem it or they did not notice anything wrong. I'm hoping it stays
this way...
Old 02-22-07, 06:45 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doug_999
Is it just me or do a couple of people on this board owe Purebliss and apology?
Thanks man but it's fine. I understand why some memebers thought I was bsing. Because is these forums sometimes you never know. I honestly don't think it will affect many cars because I think it would have already.
Old 02-22-07, 06:48 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
We can't say if the ES tranny is a huge problem. Looking at the poll they put up, I counted 9 people unhappy with the tranny. They are just very, very vocal about it.
Not saying there ISN'T a problem.

Lexus also might have a TSB as a PREVENTIVE measure. A lot of them, you don't even see/know there is a problem and there might not be one. If you do have it, the TSB is there to reference on what steps to take.
Lexus has TSBs EVERY SINGLE year. Every car company does. Some people have this UNREALISTIC expectation that Lexus=perfect.
No, just pursing it.
The poll of 9 (so far) you mention pertains to the second, and in some cases third, replacement transmissions put in their car failing. 9 out of ten having replacement transmissions are reporting they fail as well.

We have over 40 CL members reporting hosed up transmissions. Greater than one fourth receiving their car report it has a hosed up transmission.
Old 02-22-07, 07:02 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

The tranny problem was def a huge problem for lexus. They have auctioned off well over 900 cars. What happened was when the buy back where fixed they made corp lexus workers drive the car for 2,000 miles to make sure they where okay and then they where auctioned off. But the problem got so bad where we had so many es buy backs and not enough workers to drive them that we started to give them to clerks to drive at Lexus. This problem is no where near the ES tranny problem. There would be hell of a let more cars. The only thing I am curious is why they waited this long to issue a tsb espically when the production changed in June or even earlier. Ussually after a production change they post a tsb. I am curious if because I leaked the info and I know they do read these forums if they decided to release this tsb. Lexus is very sneaky like that!!!! I better be careful!!!I type everything on my laptop and I have a door in my office so I should be safe lol!!!!
Old 02-22-07, 12:58 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

@Purebliss: Great info! This just reinforces what I have heard before (talking about ES stuff).

Last edited by twister; 02-22-07 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-22-07, 07:19 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

My GS was built 5/06. No problem here (vin - out of range of tsb)
Old 02-22-07, 07:47 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
@Purebliss: Great info! This just reinforces what I have heard before (talking about ES stuff).
twister, i must credit you for the best edit known to man. good move!
Old 02-23-07, 05:37 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks JJ, my "change of heart" surgery was successful
Old 02-23-07, 12:32 PM
ellite100
Driver School Candidate

I just had first oil changed at 1,400 miles yesterday and noticed oil burning smell from engine when I got back to the garage. I didn't realize until today that this might be the issue that noted in this section. I will open the hood and try to see if any oil on the covers. Mine is 07 gs350 awd made on 10/2006.
Old 02-24-07, 03:08 PM
ellite100
Driver School Candidate

update - open the hood today and noted that after oil change, little drops of oil on the top engine cover here and there, but then took flashlight and looked on the bottom cover that covers engine on the floor - oh, wow there is a oil spill there??? I don't know if that's from the oil change were the tech might have been spilled some or is it actually leak from the engine. I wend back to the dealer today at they looked at me like I just god back from the MOON... they never even had one car with this issue they say and hear of this fist time. Well, they also said to drive the car for a week or two to make the oil spill to dry out and them come back to see if that was from oil change or it is actually leaking. They have a valid point, however any other ideas to find out if this is actually leaking now?
Old 02-24-07, 03:52 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by ServerTech; 04-08-07 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-24-07, 04:09 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ellite100
Well, they also said to drive the car for a week or two to make the oil spill to dry out and them come back to see if that was from oil change or it is actually leaking. They have a valid point, however any other ideas to find out if this is actually leaking now?
Wipe off all areas you can see with oil both on top cover and below areas where you saw it before you took it back to dealer, though it should have been cleaned up by dealer.

Then drive it for a couple of weeks and check all those areas you originally saw it on every day for any sign of more oil.

Either you do have an oil leak or some VERY sloppy person refilled your oil after change.
Old 02-25-07, 05:16 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I can't believe your Lexus dealer didn't check this out for you, especially since they just changed the oil! I would escalate this to at least the service manager. Regardless if it's leaking or not, they should have inspected it and cleaned up the oil.

Quick Reply: GS/IS Oil leak TSB