GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2008 GS 350 / 460 Updated Info Here

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 07:54 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Is there any chance that for 2008 Lexus will offer an all leather steering wheel on the GS350? It just doesn't look sporty to me without an all leather (slightly smaller in size) steering wheel. I would possibly consider this model if this were an option or if there was such a thing available. Since this is a thread about 2008, is this being considered or am I wishful thinking?

I know there was a thread before about how someone added a leather cover but that is not the same as a factory sport wheel. There was also prev discussion about whether the non US leather steering wheel could be swaped out for the wood one but noone ever completely addressed that scenario.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-07, 08:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

The GS350 in Canada comes with full leather steering wheel as standard, I suppose one can be ordered through a Canadian Lexus dealer if you really want one . . .
Old 02-25-07, 08:36 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Thanks for the reply, searching I came up with this photo from canadiandriver.com. Since I'm not really familar with the GS model, is this the same wheel dimensions, placement of wheel buttons..etc? of the wood one in the US?

Link to Canadian review for purpose of crediting photo use
http://www.luxurycarcanada.com/featu...GS%20350%20AWD
Old 02-25-07, 10:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbodean
in order to squelch any rumors of the demise of the GS460 i have decided to release this info. please note: this is all the info i have at this time, any questions likely have no answer cause now you will know as much as i do about the 2008 models. anyways, enjoy:

GS 460/350
Minor Change for ‘08MY
4.6L V8 engine
Updated exterior styling
-Revised front bumper and lower intake area
-Revised front grille
-Revised rear combination lights
-Outside rear view mirrors (turn signal incorporated)
-New 17” and 18” wheels
-Three new exterior colors: Golden Almond Metallic (4T1), New Silver (name/code TBD), Opaline Pearl (1G5)
Updated interior styling/features
-Revised instrument panel, combination meter
-Revised shift plate surround
-Revised assist grips
-New gray leather (same as LS 460)
-New black wood trim (same as LS 460)
Fuel filler door release and trunk release removed from drop-down switch box
Any word on the 8 speed for the GS460, or the rumoured revised front suspension?
Old 02-26-07, 09:59 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I believe the revised front suspension is just a little tweaking to acoomodate the weight of the heavier engine?
Old 02-26-07, 11:42 AM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Thanks for the reply, searching I came up with this photo from canadiandriver.com. Since I'm not really familar with the GS model, is this the same wheel dimensions, placement of wheel buttons..etc? of the wood one in the US?
Would it be possible for my dealer to order the Canadian wheel and put it on my GS350? [Okay, so I don't have a GS350 yet, but I'm planning on getting a 07 or 08 later this year.] Does anyone know?

I really like driving with a leather steering wheel. I like looking at wood best, but I'm not wild about driving holding a piece of plastic covered wood.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-07, 11:52 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

EWW Dont do that. that wheel looks just like my grandmas camery steering wheel.
Then again, my Wodd steering wheel looks like my Sienna L.Ed. '04 Btw, my Sienna's button layout is way better. The buttons are placed to be pressed by your thumb, not your thumb reaching"up" on the wheel to hit the buttons.

z.about.com/d/cars/1/8/0/6/sienna_dash.jpg

look at the buttons that arc on the wheel. soo much easier to hit than the buttons on our wheel.

side note: I hope they add more wood trim. I think they should've added wood up the sides of the screen in the center console. Looks too grey. and the wood trim looks so sparse on the dash area.

Last edited by starstreak; 02-26-07 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-26-07, 01:08 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by starstreak
EWW Dont do that. that wheel looks just like my grandmas camery steering wheel.

side note: I hope they add more wood trim. I think they should've added wood up the sides of the screen in the center console. Looks too grey. and the wood trim looks so sparse on the dash area.
I'd like more wood too on the dash area, which I don't have to hold while driving.

Now, does anyone know the answer to my could-my-dealer-order-and-install-Canadian-wheel question? Thanks.
Old 02-26-07, 06:01 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by steverhode
I'd like more wood too on the dash area, which I don't have to hold while driving.

Now, does anyone know the answer to my could-my-dealer-order-and-install-Canadian-wheel question? Thanks.
If you bring the steering wheel in, I don't see why they wouldn't install it for you. I just don't see that the dealer will order it though. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I think the shifter is different too.
Old 02-26-07, 06:30 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I believe the revised front suspension is just a little tweaking to acoomodate the weight of the heavier engine?
why would the engine be heavier?
Old 02-26-07, 07:02 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

My sister just got a ES350 loaner at Lexus today while her car is being serviced. I saw it tonight, it also had a redwood steering wheel.

Does anyone know if the steering wheel size (top to bottom) is the same size on the ES350 as the GS350 or is the ES wheel slightly smaller??

I also can't tell if that Canadian leather wheel is the same size as the wood one or slightly smaller? From all the pics of the wood wheel on the GS350 it seems sorta big, compared to the 2007 ES350 wood wheel I saw today.
Old 02-27-07, 06:44 AM
fR00r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjbodean
Updated exterior styling
-Revised front bumper and lower intake area
-Revised front grille
-Revised rear combination lights
-Outside rear view mirrors (turn signal incorporated)
-New 17” and 18” wheels
-Three new exterior colors: Golden Almond Metallic (4T1), New Silver (name/code TBD), Opaline Pearl (1G5)
Updated interior styling/features
-Revised instrument panel, combination meter
-Revised shift plate surround
-Revised assist grips
-New gray leather (same as LS 460)
-New black wood trim (same as LS 460)
Fuel filler door release and trunk release removed from drop-down switch box
Exactly what i wanted to hear !!
Thanks for the info
Old 02-27-07, 07:11 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Does anyone know if the steering wheel size (top to bottom) is the same size on the ES350 as the GS350 or is the ES wheel slightly smaller??
If I remember correctly from my previous brief ownership of ES350, its steering wheel was thinner. Diameter size was almost the same. Another interesting point, steering wheel controls (audio/phone) in ES were closer to the wheel. I'm just guessing they wanted to make it convinient for female drivers (along with that fugly Moonshell Mica color LOL!!!), while GS is targeted more for guys. Don't want to start any flame war here just something that makes sense from a marketing point of view
Old 02-27-07, 12:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
The rumour was that the front suspension would be redesigned to allow for better ride/handling in the GS460, and to better cope with the power of the 4.6L V8. The rumour also mentioned fitment issues with the 4.6L V8, and that the new front suspension was to utilize space differently, and allow more room for the engine bay.
Old 02-27-07, 02:20 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The rumour was that the front suspension would be redesigned to allow for better ride/handling in the GS460, and to better cope with the power of the 4.6L V8. The rumour also mentioned fitment issues with the 4.6L V8, and that the new front suspension was to utilize space differently, and allow more room for the engine bay.
Fair enough, as I dont see why the 4.6 should much if at all heavier than the 4.3

Quick Reply: 2008 GS 350 / 460 Updated Info Here