GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 01-07-15, 12:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Summary of what functions are locked out while in motion?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-07, 09:13 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summary of what functions are locked out while in motion?

I am about 95% sure I will be getting a 2007 GS450h tomorrow. I've read as much as I can, but I'm still confused about what all is disabled in the car while it is in motion.

I went through the 20+ pages on the Tips & Tricks thread, but there are so many mixes of tips and questions that it gets pretty confusing.

I know you can't input a destination into the Nav unit while in motion.

What bluetooth phone functions are disabled?

And assuming the much-maligned voice recognition system works, does that allow you do overcome the lockouts?

Finally, I know there's a bypass for the 06's (menu->volume->top left corner, bottmn left, top left bottom left -> hold down override).

Can anyone confirm that it works for the '07's?

Also, am I correct in my understanding that the DVD-bypass maneuver (with all the wire cutting) bypasses the DVD-movie lockout, but not the Nav-system lockout?

Thanks for your last minute help! I really did try to determine the answers to this before posting this....
Old 02-25-07, 09:58 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

The Nav override does not work on the GS 450h.

The wire-cutting override does not affect the Nav/Bluetooth lockout.

When in motion, you can only enter the destination using voice commands, and it's very hard to do because of poor voice recognition and complicated interface. I would bet that none of the GS owners ever enter destinations using voice commands, beyond maybe trying it once or twice in the first month of ownership.

When in motion, you can use Bluetooth in the following four ways:

1. Push the Info/ Bluetooth buttons and you are presented with the screen with your speed dials. One touch to a particular speed dial touch button is all that's needed to start the call. Since the GS allows a lot of speed dials, this is a very nice and convenient function that almost compensates for the inability to dial using keypad. You cannot access the numeric keypad screen to dial by number, while in motion.

2. Using Dial by Number voice command, which sucks because of the poor voice recognition.

3. Using Dial by Name voice command, which is also not that great. I haven't really programmed and tried this one much yet.

4. By dialing on your cell phone. The nice feature of the GS implementation of Bluetooth (as opposed to how my previous car - Acura TL -did this) is that once you hit the send button on the cell phone, the call is placed through the car's Bluetooth system automaticaly.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-07, 10:37 AM
*wishlist*
Driver

I have a quick question. How does the manual shift mode work on the cvt transmission? I never quite understood that.
Old 02-25-07, 12:22 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Modeler

Hope this helps.
Thanks a ton --- totally appreciate it.

Wonder if it will ultimately be possible for someone to crack the Nav override key combination for the 2007s...
Old 12-28-07, 06:55 PM
hziemba
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Argelius,
Finally, I know there's a bypass for the 06's (menu->volume->top left corner, bottmn left, top left bottom left -> hold down override).
Could you elaborate on this technique? Is it the order in which you touch the screen? What do you do with the volume control ****?

I have an 06 GS w/o the navigation package, and was hoping to bypass the "nanny" functions.
Old 12-28-07, 07:59 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by *wishlist*
I have a quick question. How does the manual shift mode work on the cvt transmission? I never quite understood that.
Yeah i seems almost redundant. But driving the GS450h at Laguna Seca before, the shift selector mode allows the tranny to mimic the speed of a conventional tranny. So putting the CVT in 3rd would somewhat give the speed and power response if the car was actually in 3rd gear. I hope that makes sense.
Old 12-28-07, 08:13 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

modeler...what is this about??

This is not right, look at the Nav Bypass thread in my sig....
Old 12-29-07, 09:25 AM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Modeler

When in motion, you can only enter the destination using voice commands, and it's very hard to do because of poor voice recognition and complicated interface. I would bet that none of the GS owners ever enter destinations using voice commands, beyond maybe trying it once or twice in the first month of ownership.

When in motion, you can use Bluetooth in the following four ways:

1. Push the Info/ Bluetooth buttons and you are presented with the screen with your speed dials. One touch to a particular speed dial touch button is all that's needed to start the call. Since the GS allows a lot of speed dials, this is a very nice and convenient function that almost compensates for the inability to dial using keypad. You cannot access the numeric keypad screen to dial by number, while in motion.

2. Using Dial by Number voice command, which sucks because of the poor voice recognition.

3. Using Dial by Name voice command, which is also not that great. I haven't really programmed and tried this one much yet.

4. By dialing on your cell phone. The nice feature of the GS implementation of Bluetooth (as opposed to how my previous car - Acura TL -did this) is that once you hit the send button on the cell phone, the call is placed through the car's Bluetooth system automaticaly.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. As a new 2008 GS 350 owner I appreciate the info. As to your last point, does that mean I need to turn the radio OFF to avoid using the car's bluetooth system when making a call from my phone? In other words, if I want to use my phone on occasion and NOT the car's bluetooth system does it require I turn the center/radio unit OFF? Most of the time I will be using the car's bluetooth with my cell phone but there are times where I want to be able to use that same cell phone WITHOUT the car's system.