GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Trunk Door motor malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 04:11 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trunk Door motor malfunction

Argh!

Yesterday, my trunk door refused to close several times until I had to play wiht the unlock button and the trunk release button in the dash before I could close it. Today I had to grab some stuff out of my trunk and put other stuff in the trunk, but the trunk refused to open when I placed my hand underneath the trunk. I tried so many times to get it to open and I couldnt. The dealer was kindly enough to look at it quickly on my way home and found out that the motor was malfunctioned and they had to order a part. There's a TSB out there for this and I am wondering if anyone else had this problem. To my embarrassment, I have to take out the key from the key fob now and open the trunk manually and when I close it, I have to close it hard or push it down to lock since hte motor is not working. This is my second problem since the dash rattle was resolved. Overall, I am a bit upset but hey thats life.
The following users liked this post:
calebNS (11-08-20)
Old 03-05-07, 01:56 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but this is actually the first time I've heard about this. Hope they fix it quickly.
Old 04-03-07, 01:55 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my trunk stopped opening last night. i have to use the key. the interior button doesnt open it ..and the key fob doesnt open it either. im taking it back in on thursday.
Old 07-06-07, 06:02 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

My trunk latch also recently begun acting peculiar. TSB BO0001-06 describes the problem with the trunk lid motor and its replacement. It applies to the GS300, GS300AWD, and GS430 VIN numbers below these VIN numbers:

GS300: JTHBH96S565026215
GS300AWD: JTHCH96S660013636
GS430: JTHBN96S465010757

My GS's VIN falls below the production change number so I'll be again making a trip to the dealer.
Old 07-06-07, 08:33 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Argh!

To my embarrassment, I have to take out the key from the key fob now and open the trunk manually and when I close it, I have to close it hard or push it down to lock since hte motor is not working.
Poor you! How would you survive such on ordeal?! Boy, I really hope that you were joking when you wrote the above. Now, if you weren't able to open the trunk even with the key, that would be a really big inconvenience.
Old 07-08-07, 04:32 PM
raydleoni
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This trunk release problem must still be unresolved. My 07 GS350 just started to refuse to have its trunk opened either by the dash board control or by the trunk switch or by the remote (I have the keyless system). I was able to open it by sliding a long broom stick through the rear seat access door and then pushing down on the inside emergency release lever. As a temporary (I hope) fix I tied string to the lever such that it exits out of the bottom of the trunk hood when its closed. By pulling on the string I can open the trunk. Great solution for a 50K car until I can see the dealer!

Ray
Old 07-08-07, 04:45 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by raydleoni
This trunk release problem must still be unresolved. My 07 GS350 just started to refuse to have its trunk opened either by the dash board control or by the trunk switch or by the remote (I have the keyless system). I was able to open it by sliding a long broom stick through the rear seat access door and then pushing down on the inside emergency release lever. As a temporary (I hope) fix I tied string to the lever such that it exits out of the bottom of the trunk hood when its closed. By pulling on the string I can open the trunk. Great solution for a 50K car until I can see the dealer!

Ray
Ray, did you check the trunk opener switch in the glove compartment to be sure it's still pushed in?
Old 07-08-07, 07:18 PM
Toasterdog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveJ
Ray, did you check the trunk opener switch in the glove compartment to be sure it's still pushed in?
I'm sure thats the problem for the ones that can't open their trunks with the opener or remote. Kinda a valet feature to disable them.

As for the original post. I recently have had the same issues with my trunk pull down mechanism. Sometimes it actually works, other times it will want to reopen the trunk after i close it and pulls it down. Quite annoying. I found that holding the trunk down after it latches for a few seconds was the only way to get it to close and not reopen. There is no sort of obstruction anywhere that should cause it to do this.
calebNS (11-08-20)
Old 07-09-07, 05:28 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

My trunk latch also recently begun acting peculiar. TSB BO0001-06 describes the problem with the trunk lid motor and its replacement. It applies to the GS300, GS300AWD, and GS430 VIN numbers below these VIN numbers:

GS300: JTHBH96S565026215
GS300AWD: JTHCH96S660013636
GS430: JTHBN96S465010757

My GS's VIN falls below the production change number so I'll be again making a trip to the dealer.
Just Info - I went over to Tundra Solutions to have a look at this TSIB BO001-06, it was released January 10, 2006. I would think any GS 07 would not have this problem today, hopefully.
Old 07-09-07, 05:54 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
Poor you! How would you survive such on ordeal?! Boy, I really hope that you were joking when you wrote the above. Now, if you weren't able to open the trunk even with the key, that would be a really big inconvenience.
Yup, when I read that, I was thinking the same thing! Then, looking at his/her sig, I realized why. Some people are just snotty!
Old 07-09-07, 09:17 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by kingofire
Yup, when I read that, I was thinking the same thing! Then, looking at his/her sig, I realized why. Some people are just snotty!
I am not snotty, I am actually a very humble gentlemen. My Lexus is actually the favorite car out of the bunch. Its working like a charm now since the replacement of the trunk door motor. Also, if the key did not have to be removed from the key fob and looks like that of the RX key, it would be much more easier to open. Now it closes more easily and now I try to close it more softely. Overall, the car is 5 out of 5 stars for me. The GS is one of the best Lexus I have ever owned.
calebNS (11-08-20)
Old 07-10-07, 06:24 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I am not snotty, I am actually a very humble gentlemen. My Lexus is actually the favorite car out of the bunch. Its working like a charm now since the replacement of the trunk door motor. Also, if the key did not have to be removed from the key fob and looks like that of the RX key, it would be much more easier to open. Now it closes more easily and now I try to close it more softely. Overall, the car is 5 out of 5 stars for me. The GS is one of the best Lexus I have ever owned.
Rexus300, thanks for your post on this topic. Your comment led me to finding the TSB and yesterday my Lexus dealer replaced the motor.

I didn't find your post the least bit snotty or whiny. After paying $50K for a Lexus, I too could be embarrassed when a simple trunk release didn't work. And we could debate the usefulness of the automatic closing mechanism that has caused some of us trouble, but that's another topic.
Old 02-03-11, 04:13 PM
minnister
Driver

Rexus300, thanks for your post on this topic. Your comment led me to finding the TSB and yesterday my Lexus dealer replaced the motor.

I didn't find your post the least bit snotty or whiny. After paying $50K for a Lexus, I too could be embarrassed when a simple trunk release didn't work. And we could debate the usefulness of the automatic closing mechanism that has caused some of us trouble, but that's another topic.
Does the car have to be on or can I just press the trunk release? I think I've tried everything posted on this board with no success. If looks like a simple switch or click on the trunk, but I just can't pin point it down.
Old 06-06-12, 02:44 PM
newsbillt
Driver School Candidate

Default Trunk will not open with remote key.

Trunk opens with pull lever under dash and with key in lock on trunk.

Have tried "valet" button in and out with no luck.

Any further ideas?
Old 06-06-12, 07:18 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by newsbillt
Trunk opens with pull lever under dash
Which pull lever are you talking about?

Quick Reply: Trunk Door motor malfunction