GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Why do you love your 3rd Gen GS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 07:28 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Why do you love your 3rd Gen GS???

Like to hear from owners, why do you love your GS-3rd gen? How many drives did it take before you knew this was the car for you? What things do you love most, exterior style, interior refinement, Nav etc...

I once read an article that the 2nd Gen GS had an exterior style that reminded him of a European look something you would be suprised coming from Japan, yet still it's a Lexus. I still see alot of the styling cues from previous generations in this new 3rd gen.

If you look at my posts here at Clublexus you will see I was really loving the 2006 GS when it arrived, then I waited and then the IS350 came and I loved that too but my salesman said Lexus is scaling back on the IS350 and paying more attention to the bigger seller IS250 so the IS350 is basically a special order. The dealer almost has me convienced that I should not get the IS350 and step up to the GS since it has more room and you get more for your money with the GS350. When I look at the pics of the GS it does look more roomier but still looks sporty with the 18 inchers. I really like how the GS looks in Obsidian w/ Black Interior I think that combo makes it looks even more sportier. My options are still open at this point.

I have not driven a 3rd Gen GS but I plan to this coming weekend. Would like to hear why you love your 3rd Gen GS.
The following users liked this post:
GS350Don (09-05-21)
Old 03-05-07, 09:03 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the dealership to pickup a SMG UL ES350 but the storage lot was locked and they couldn't get to it so I came home with my ML package Meteor Silver GS350. Best screw up that has ever happened to me!
Old 03-05-07, 09:08 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

I went on Saturday to look at the IS250 figuring Id talk the dealer into "special ordering" an IS350 for me. Ended up testing driving the GS350 and now I've got a black one on order to be picked up this Saturday. IMO the inside of the IS250 seemed cheap compared to the GS. Another thing I noticed was that a street I test drove on with the IS250 was really bumpy... yet that same street with the GS I didnt even notice any bumps.

Anyway, yeah I love the GS and there is no comparison with the IS I dont think
Old 03-05-07, 09:11 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like many things about it.

I wish I had waited for a GS350 at times, but I am glad I chose the
more practical GS over the IS.
Old 03-06-07, 05:48 AM
GlockMan9c
Rookie

Well I had a BMW M5 so I do have a pretty nice car to compare it to.

2000 Dinan M5 with 25K miles VS. 2007 GS350 with 18 miles

M5 = better handling, better control, period
M5 = raw power
M5 = exhaust note
M5 = thumbs up all over town
M5 = scares the civic drivers
M5 = feel like the king of the world

GS = more comfortable
GS = more technology (camera, keyless, headlights, navagation)
GS = more reliable (i hope)
GS = better gas mileage (m5 got 10mpg)
GS = more trunk room (had to add full size spare to M5 as it comes with no spare and no space for one due to quad exhaust
GS = dealership is closer
GS = not a cliche of owning a bimmer
GS = newer look without being radical
GS = much better stereo (ML)
GS = same size tires front and rear (245/18)
GS = LED lighting
GS = resale value
Old 03-06-07, 08:21 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my case, I started to look for a new Lexus last year in June. I skipped IS/GS because I was under impression those were "too sporty", and I wanted something more luxurous, keeping in mind that I have to drive my baby daughter in the back seat. So, I thought ES350 will be a perfect fit and a good value. Even before I got problems with a tranny in that car, I noticed right away how boring was the ride (poor handling, too floaty, and forget about cornering at greater than 25mph). Than, after my tranny was replaced and the second one developed the same problem, I test drove IS250 and GS350 (just as it came out). IS250 felt underpowered and too cramped inside (forget about baby seat in the back), while GS350 blew my mind with its handling, performance, and still enough luxury. Of course, I'm not comparing it to other sports car, but to what I have driven in the past. So I moved from ES350 buyback right into GS350. Now, I'm actually very happy I went through all these ES350 problems which allowed me to get out of that car and into GS350.
Old 03-06-07, 10:29 AM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

I like the fact that no problems came up on my car.23,700 miles no problems gotta love that.
Old 03-06-07, 10:47 AM
Nidan
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by GlockMan9c
Well I had a BMW M5 so I do have a pretty nice car to compare it to.

2000 Dinan M5 with 25K miles VS. 2007 GS350 with 18 miles

M5 = better handling, better control, period
M5 = raw power
M5 = exhaust note
M5 = thumbs up all over town
M5 = scares the civic drivers
M5 = feel like the king of the world

GS = more comfortable
GS = more technology (camera, keyless, headlights, navagation)
GS = more reliable (i hope)
GS = better gas mileage (m5 got 10mpg)
GS = more trunk room (had to add full size spare to M5 as it comes with no spare and no space for one due to quad exhaust
GS = dealership is closer
GS = not a cliche of owning a bimmer
GS = newer look without being radical
GS = much better stereo (ML)
GS = same size tires front and rear (245/18)
GS = LED lighting
GS = resale value
What he said, but I got about 15 mpg on mine, I must have a lighter foot.
Old 03-06-07, 12:01 PM
roddydawg
Driver School Candidate

Tough question to nail down what it is exactly that I like so much about my GS.

It's a little noisy like other threads have covered very well, but the ride in general just feels really nice.

The form, fit, and function is excellent in my opinion. In addition, I get a certain peace of mind knowing it's a Lexus, which resonates quality/reliability.

Similar to another post above, I bought my GS on a whim. I originally went to grab an A6 3.2 that I though was PERFECT for me, but the dealer pissed me off, so I went down the road and bought a GS300. I haven't looked at a A6 the same since.

Just the other night, I went out to check something in my car. Next thing I know I'm 10 miles from home just driving around, enjoying my ride. Good stuff!
Old 03-06-07, 02:22 PM
GlockMan9c
Rookie

Originally Posted by Nidan
What he said, but I got about 15 mpg on mine, I must have a lighter foot.
Dinan Stage III Software
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Air Meters
Dinan CF Air Intakes
Dinan 3.45 Differential
Real Heavy Foot
Old 03-06-07, 05:56 PM
fuzzy8ball
Driver School Candidate

I like it because it's a beautiful car. Great design -- whenever I walk away from it and I glance back at it, I can't believe that it's mine =).

Oh yeah, also it's really comfortable and and reliable.
Old 03-06-07, 06:02 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

I love my GS because it’s...
- fun to drive
- looks amazing
- is smooth as butter and oh so quiet, except for when I wanna have some luxury sport sedan fun
- is technologically advanced (5.1 Sound system rocks; NAV and DVD playback are awesome, particularly with the DVD hack)
- the interior fit, finish, quality and comfort are for the most part outstanding
- it’s a Lexus and should (knock on wood) run forever (okay, okay... a very long time) with std maintenance

Oh... did I mention it looks amazing?

So there you have it. Oh, and one more thing. Like a few other forum members, when I went shopping for my first ever Lexus I seriously considered the ES350. But after driving the ES, reading about the problems it was having in the ES forum, and then driving the GS, I quickly fell in love with the GS and the rest is shall we say history. And despite a few areas to improve which 2thfxr and others have already documented, this car is awesome.
Old 03-06-07, 06:58 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had my mind solidly made up to buy an ES350. The car is for the wife so I take her to the dealer to choose color and features/options. We're driving the ES and wifey thinks it's nice but I can tell she doesn't really like it. We get back to the showroom and wifey spots a GS and wants to take a closer look. I hated the front end of the GS and didn't want to even consider it. We drove it and wifey loved it. So we're arguing at the dealer and I'm telling her I'm gonna buy what I think is best. Then she says, how would you feel if someone forced you to drive a car you hated. I gave in and got the GS.

I have come to love it for it's styling, luxury and semi-sportiness. I'm still not in love with the front end but it is unique looking, even sorta cool at times. The car is way too big for little wheels and it looks a whole lot better with bigger wider wheels. It also defines the new L-Finesse theme better than any other Lexus imo. The black wheels has transformed it into a real attention getter. Makes me nervous sometimes. Even non-car people gaze. It's a great car.
Old 03-07-07, 05:25 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are the highlights of the GS for me:
1. Style - Body lines are unmatched by the competition
2. Handling - Excellent handling for a luxury sports car with a smooth and quiet ride
3. Interior - Beautiful and well equipped interior, even if a little short on space
4. Reliability - Excellent reliability except for the usual Lexus dash noises, which are mostly fixed on my GS.
5. Love the excellent highway gas mileage (30-32mpg)

Last edited by DaveJ; 03-09-07 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-07-07, 01:50 PM
hrthrb
Driver School Candidate

We ended up with an 07 GS450h after the dealership could not find an AWD GS350 in black onyx pearl, but had the 450 on the lot. I've had it for over two months and it's taken that long for me to get used to the way it feels...the power and sport modes, the stereo, the harsher ride with the low-profile tires. But just today, driving in my neighborhood, going less than 35mph, it hit me how much I love this car. Earlier, I took it through a sweeping freeway exit at 45 (it was snowing) and it gripped like a demon (the MDX behind me fell way back), and here I was just hardly coasting along and it felt...perfect. Great stereo, smooth controlled ride, gorgeous color and outstanding interior, all the options I could want and more than I really need. I could have had two Camrys - hybrids, at that - for the cost of this one car, but I wouldn't even think of that now. It's just awesome.

Quick Reply: Why do you love your 3rd Gen GS???