GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Having second thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-07, 08:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by BUSTN
Well, I was approved today for an 07' gs350 for $500 over invoice with no money down.The total price was $47.5 give or take.I am just sitting here at my desk, really asking myself, if I should pull the trigger??Honestly, I really don't know what to do.I am really asking myself if $900 a month for 5 years, for a car is a smart move...
$900 a month for 5 years!? You could buy a rental property for that much!

Couple of questions/comments:

If you have ANY credit card balances, don't buy the car - put the money into paying off the cards.
Maybe if you like to change cars fairly often, have you considered leasing?
What is it about the GS350 that makes you want it so bad?
Old 03-11-07, 04:56 PM
BUSTN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
$900 a month for 5 years!? You could buy a rental property for that much!

Couple of questions/comments:

If you have ANY credit card balances, don't buy the car - put the money into paying off the cards.
Maybe if you like to change cars fairly often, have you considered leasing?
What is it about the GS350 that makes you want it so bad?
I have no debt, other than my mortgage.I wanted a ls but for the same price I can pick up an 07' gs, so I prefer the new car. The lease option is worse, since I will pay a lil' less but no car in the long run.Maybe Im just getting cold feet.It's actually like $960 a month plus insurance.
Old 03-11-07, 05:23 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

We work hard all of are lives, saving along the way for retirement. However, life is short. We all go through the same thought process. We could all be driving Honda Civics and be just fine.

However, you only get one shot in life to do the things that make you happy. If you can afford it and it will make you happy, go for it.
Old 03-11-07, 06:53 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

for 900/mo i'd pick it up as long as my income were 100k/yr... but thats just me... im paying 640 and i already think thats a lot
Old 03-11-07, 07:03 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a basic economic tenent: Never buy a car that I can't pay cash for! There may be times where for other reasons I decide to finance, but those are rare. Never, never lease! Someone is making big money on your lease so you should be able to make the same or more money if you pay cash. Never finance a car for more than 2 years, the depreciation even on a Lexus will kill you. Buy the best car you can really afford.
Steve
Old 03-11-07, 08:06 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldcajun
I have a basic economic tenent: Never buy a car that I can't pay cash for! There may be times where for other reasons I decide to finance, but those are rare. Never, never lease! Someone is making big money on your lease so you should be able to make the same or more money if you pay cash. Never finance a car for more than 2 years, the depreciation even on a Lexus will kill you. Buy the best car you can really afford.
Steve
That's a great advice! For the 1930's that is. Wake up and smell the 21st century! Financing is cheap, and it makes zero sense to deprive yourself for five years while you accumulate enough money to pay cash. That is except for 0.01% of people like you whose favorite hobby is saving money. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it for YOU, but most of us want to enjoy our hard-earned money while we're still alive.
Old 03-12-07, 08:41 AM
Agni88
Driver

Seems like you are overextending yourself.
Perhaps look at cheaper cars like ES350?
What if something happens over the next 5 years that might put you in a financial strain?
5 years is a long time to pay for a car.
IMO I would not do it. Get a cheaper car, save up buy it when you can really afford it.

Otherwise everyone would be taking out a 30 year loan to get a Ferrari F430.*

Note: Every Ferrari is bought it in cash, dont spend more than 10% of your money on a car.
So if ferrari is worth $250k. You need ATLEAST $2.5M in the bank.
Old 03-15-07, 11:12 PM
MrLexAus
Driver School Candidate

I wish they were only 50k downunder, I paid $116,000 for GS450h a demo at that. Thats $88k US. The SC430 is $160k Australian new or $121k US. I wish w had your pricing downunder.
Old 03-15-07, 11:21 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Modeler
That's a great advice! For the 1930's that is. Wake up and smell the 21st century!
Ha, funny statement

Like others have said, get what you can afford. No need to extend yourself financially over a car. You may enjoy it in the short term, but you'll probably regret the decision later on.
Old 03-16-07, 06:11 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

lol @ buying a GS350 with cash. Who the hell has that kind of money sitting around. I work a great job and my wife works an even better one and we can't do that. Our only option is to finance. I'm not about to drive a KIA. Even if I had 50 grand, I wouldnt put that down on a car anyway.
Old 03-16-07, 02:17 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Ken honestly, are you rich. Im only 30 yrs old and Im by far the most "well-off" out of all of my friends, and I don't know one friend who has 50K saved for a car. Do you live in area code 90210 or something? I live in NYC, and I have a ridiculous mortgage payment. You cant blame me for wanting a GS can you? I did put 10K down at least :/
Old 03-16-07, 02:19 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KenBT
bozer cash rules...

i always buy cash but if by chance a finance rate is lower than a rate I can get in a CD, etc.. i will finance.

besides if you don't have 50K in the bank, etc. and you buy a car for more than you have in the bank... that is what I call DUMB
Dude, you may want to think about calling 90% or more of the people on this board dumb. I highly recommend a basic Economics book for understanding how capitalist economy works. Buying durable goods by using financing is one of the best things in today's world. It's called "consumption smoothing". Look it up.
Old 03-16-07, 02:22 PM
o2GS43o
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Steve
Financing can help your credit especially buying a car or a house... Depends if your credit is already good or just trying to make it better...
Old 03-16-07, 03:03 PM
cxp2001
Lead Lap

Hey BUSTN,

I love your current GS. I would just keep it and checkout a IS350/460? later..Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-17-07, 07:37 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 190 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by KenBT
bozer cash rules...

i always buy cash but if by chance a finance rate is lower than a rate I can get in a CD, etc.. i will finance.

besides if you don't have 50K in the bank, etc. and you buy a car for more than you have in the bank... that is what I call DUMB
although u have a safe mind set, that will never get you to the "next level" do u think donald trump bought his properties with cash? i dont think so..

Quick Reply: Having second thoughts....