GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

I'm officially done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-07, 01:11 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm officially done!

Got home today and found a nice little package waiting for me from Vaistech. I finally got my replacement SLS unit! This has basically been the upgrade from hell since day 1. When I bought my GS in Oct, I installed a Sirius tuner that worked perfectly but the display was not integrated into the nav screen. When the CL Vaistech group buy came around I bought one because what's better than on-screen display and full integration? Or so I thought! Vaistech module + Sirius module (the original add on tuner was no longer any good and you have to buy a specific module) = roughly $450-500.

I installed the Vaistech SLS module only to find out that it interfered with normal bluetooth operation. The only way to get it to work properly was to first play at least 1 second of SAT audio before making/receiving your first phone call after starting the car. Talk about PITA!!! As expected I forgot most of the time so my incoming calls would drop and there was nothing I could do! I must have lost at least 20-30 IMPORTANT incoming phone calls!

Called Vaistech and was informed that I needed to move my Sirius module away from the nav display because it generates a lot of heat. OK, PITA but I guess they know better. No change.

Same day I sent a PM to Twister who also bought the SLS module and he was having problems as well. He told me about a new Vaistech harness because of problems with the SLS unit. Funny, Vaistech never mentioned it.

Called Vaistech and they said, "Yeah, there is a harness I will sent one out to you." Got a PM from Twister that the harness does not help so it just sat on my desk.

At least 3 months go by and I am frustrated as hell so I figure WTF, I may as well try out the harness. I plug it in and as I was informed, no difference at all. In fact, I notice on my way out of town that all of the backlighting for everything under the nav screen is out and it's like a big black hole!!!

I called Vaistech the next day, "Yeah, we have updated software, we can send out a new one and you can return the old one." WTF?!?! Why didn't they email me or call me to tell me this? Whatever, at least there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

I got home tonight and the new module was sitting in my mail pile. First of all, I removed the new Vaistech harness that was previously installed and put the original Vaistech harness in. Voila! Got my backlighting back! Whew! That's pretty messed up, don't they check their stuff before sending it out? Swapped out the modules and again. Voila! Bluetooth works without a hitch! Whew!

Overall, the Vaistech product is a nice piece and it finally works as advertised. Not very happy with the experience but at least I am done! Final list of hacks/mods:

- Fully integrated Sirius Sat radio via Vaistech
- Ipod integration via Vaistech and 60gb video iPod
- DVD video playable while in motion via have no fear 2thfixr is here.
- Bluetooth/Nav lockouts removed via have no fear 2thfixr is here.
- LED trunklight hack via have no fear 2thfixr is here.
Now I can get back to picking my nose in my spare time!
Old 03-11-07, 08:17 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, finally!!!!! I should get mine next week.

I guess the next step would be to wait for Sirius/XM honeymoon so we can take advantage of sharkfin antenna
Old 03-11-07, 10:12 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

wow congrats robert! GLAD THE FRUSTRATIONS ARE GONE. i KNOW HOW THOSE CAN FEEL.

I have 2 contracts this afternoon to attend but then after that I hope to finish this mod for good and put it back together.... But not for another 5 hours I have to wait..... dun worry, I'll let you knwo how it goes.
Old 03-13-07, 06:10 PM
flunkie
Rookie

Now ... who is gonna write the hack book for dummies (ha) ?